London Banter

-   -   Northern Line goes south (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17682-northern-line-goes-south.html)

Marland September 12th 19 03:10 PM

Northern Line goes south

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:25:32 on Wed, 11 Sep
2019, Marland remarked:

My opinion, based on quite a lot of research, being: having earlier
specified mileages to various gateways like Marble Arch, the AA decided
for its maps to consolidate on Trafalgar Square. This has become a meme
about "Charing Cross" (the original one only having a plaque) and an
unspoken implication that it has always been the case (long before the
AA)

My mention of Ongar was done because it is an interesting Railway factoid
and also an example to our Aberdeen correspondent that the London Transport
they remember as an example tradition of the good old days initiated a
major Metrication exercise 40 years ago, it was from that you seem to have
decided that you want to hold a point scoring debate ,an activity you are
renowned for by mentioning the Post office datum which turns not to be the
only candidate

It's the original one, though (if you ignore the Romans). And the
Turnpikes used a range of gateways (not unlike the AA did originally,
perhaps they modelled themselves on those).

for distances too and from London .

At least the Ongar one can be verified

The Post Office one can be as well. The mystery about the Charing
Cross/AA one is that as far as I can tell no-one has ever been able to
expand on what it says on that fairly recent and vague plaque.

I think I'll do a FOI on Westminster City Council, and see what they
have to say.

That would be interesting, I wonder if the Ordnance survey has any
information anywhere.

GH

MissRiaElaine September 12th 19 04:25 PM

Northern Line goes south

On 11/09/2019 16:00, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/09/2019 23:51, Recliner wrote:

Yes, many of us were brought up with quaint imperial measures, but it's
easy to adapt. I still remember my height in ft and inches, as that's what
we used when it was last measured (when I was a teenager), but I know my
weight in kg.

It may be easy to adapt for you, but please do not be so arrogant as to
assume it is the same for everyone. I simply cannot do it, and quite
honestly I do not see why I should. Why can't both systems be used..?

Have you seen or used a medical thermometer any time recently?

I still have an old mercury thermometer, which has both F and C marked
on it. I've been using it for 40 years and I haven't died of mercury
poisoning yet.

You can't live in the last century forever.

I can have a damned good try. I refuse to be dictated to.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

MissRiaElaine September 12th 19 04:27 PM

Northern Line goes south

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/09/2019 23:51, Recliner wrote:

Yes, many of us were brought up with quaint imperial measures, but
it's
easy to adapt. I still remember my height in ft and inches, as
that's what
we used when it was last measured (when I was a teenager), but I
know my
weight in kg.

It may be easy to adapt for you, but please do not be so arrogant as to
assume it is the same for everyone. I simply cannot do it, and quite
honestly I do not see why I should. Why can't both systems be used..?

Have you seen or used a medical thermometer any time recently?

https://www.amazon.com/ANKOVO-Medica.../dp/B07J6BR6X8

You can't live in the last century forever.

Will you tell the Americans or should I?

Never mind the Americans, someone tell Rees-Mogg.

Good on him, I say.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Roland Perry September 12th 19 04:31 PM

Northern Line goes south

In message , at 17:25:43 on Thu, 12
Sep 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

You can't live in the last century forever.

I can have a damned good try. I refuse to be dictated to.

Not a shorthand typist by trade, then?

MissRiaElaine September 12th 19 04:57 PM

Northern Line goes south

On 12/09/2019 17:31, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:25:43 on Thu, 12
Sep 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

You can't live in the last century forever.

I can have a damned good try. I refuse to be dictated to.

Not a shorthand typist by trade, then?

No, but my mother was. I never managed to learn it, though.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Graeme Wall September 12th 19 07:21 PM

Northern Line goes south

On 12/09/2019 17:31, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:25:43 on Thu, 12
Sep 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

You can't live in the last century forever.

I can have a damned good try. I refuse to be dictated to.

Not a shorthand typist by trade, then?

Bang goes the coffee!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

MissRiaElaine September 12th 19 11:52 PM

Northern Line goes south

On 12/09/2019 20:21, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 12/09/2019 17:31, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:25:43 on Thu, 12
Sep 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

You can't live in the last century forever.

I can have a damned good try. I refuse to be dictated to.

Not a shorthand typist by trade, then?

Bang goes the coffee!

You can make your own..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Graeme Wall September 13th 19 07:24 AM

Northern Line goes south

On 13/09/2019 00:52, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 12/09/2019 20:21, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 12/09/2019 17:31, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:25:43 on Thu, 12
Sep 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

You can't live in the last century forever.

I can have a damned good try. I refuse to be dictated to.

Not a shorthand typist by trade, then?

Bang goes the coffee!

You can make your own..!

Ah, wrong interpretation! Hadn't thought of that one, good response. I
meant I was drinking coffee when I read the line and choked through
laughing.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Clive D.W. Feather September 16th 19 06:52 PM

Northern Line goes south

In article , MissRiaElaine
writes
I will resist metrication till my dying day.

Oh? What's the definition of an inch?

Answer: 25.4 mm.

--
Clive D.W. Feather

Clive D.W. Feather September 16th 19 06:53 PM

Northern Line goes south

In article , writes
With the Underground gradually being reequipped with new signalling systems
and trains with in cab displays
are there going to be signals with LEDs to worry about in a few years.

Haven't those on five lines already gone? And, of course, the DLR never
had them.

And in typical TfL fashion the systems are all incompatible with each other.

That's not TfL's fault. That's because of the idiot privatisation
attempt - Metronet and Tube Lines chose different suppliers.

--
Clive D.W. Feather