Old September 16th 19, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line goes south

In article , Roland Perry
writes
It was London Transport which recalculated its route measurements to
Kilometres back in 1972 .
Ironically they chose Ongar as the 0 datum

I think they chose Ongar because it was the furthest east.

Actually Upminster is slightly further east (5561xx versus 5550xx on the
OS grid), but it's further by rail from the first common point (Mile
End).

I was recently explaining the Ongar system to someone and thought about
this. There were other possible zeros, such as Mantles Wood Junction,
High Barnet, or Morden, but Ongar has the advantage of being a terminus
with clear buffer stops on a line that had no plausible likelihood of
being extended.

--
Clive D.W. Feather

Old September 17th 19, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/09/2019 20:14, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/09/2019 17:35, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 08/09/2019 15:38, Recliner wrote:
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 14:58:02 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

Always assuming the tech works. A light bulb is about as simple as you
can get. Imagine if they tried the same on the roads..!

Incandescent light bulbs have a short life and need frequent
replacement. The light is also not consistent, dimming and getting
more yellow over time. LED arrays are far better. But in railway
terms, no lineside signals at all is better still.

I disagree. How is someone working trackside supposed to know whether a
train is signalled or not..?

An app on their phone or iPad tells them. Various platforms have
signalling diagram monitors which provide this info to platform staff,
and no tungsten filaments were electrocuted in the making of this image.

I will resist metrication till my dying day.

I'm a Ukip member, and I'm laughing at you.

Ah, you're the member?

People called me that even before I joined.

I trust you're showing your support in Telford:
https://order-order.com/2019/09/17/ukip-leader-boycotting-party-conference/

Old September 18th 19, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/09/2019 19:52, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , MissRiaElaine
writes
I will resist metrication till my dying day.

Oh? What's the definition of an inch?

Answer: 25.4 mm.

We still say give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Saying Give them 2.54cm and they'll take 1.6 kilometers just doesn't
sound the same...

Old September 18th 19, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sammi Gray-Jones wrote:
On 16/09/2019 19:52, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , MissRiaElaine
writes
I will resist metrication till my dying day.

Oh? What's the definition of an inch?

Answer: 25.4 mm.

We still say give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Saying Give them 2.54cm and they'll take 1.6 kilometers just doesn't
sound the same...

The metric version would be, "give them a cm and they'll take a km".

Old September 19th 19, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
We still say give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Saying Give them 2.54cm and they'll take 1.6 kilometers just doesn't
sound the same...

The metric version would be, "give them a cm and they'll take a km".

Which unfortunately doesn't scan very well, "inch" and "mile" not
only sound different, but are only one syllable each, as opposed
to four syllables each. You might try

"give them a metre and they'll take a million",

which has a nice bit of alliteration, but on everyday scales an inch
is small, but a metre is not-small. I suppose you might shift to
weights, and say

"give them a gram and they'll take a tonne";

or perhaps volume, with

"give them a mil (ie millilitre) and they'll take a lakeful",

which trades the lack of a big volume unit for an extra "l"
from "lakeful".

#Paul
Old September 25th 19, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote in message

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 06/09/2019 16:13, tim... wrote:
"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 06/09/2019 10:56, tim... wrote:

"David Walters" wrote in message

The Underground Working Timetables are available online:
https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publica...ing-timetables

what a confusing format

East and westbound on alternative pages - might very possibly make
sense in printed form, absolutely useless in PDF form

They're for drivers, not for spotters.

Not a spotter, just a customer who's interested in the nominal frequency
for each service

There's a frequency table in each WTT preceding the actual times.

yeah, I got that

It also tells me how many train diagrams there are, and what time they
leave the depot.

my point was it contained more than I actually needed.

and it doesn't tell me why the 23:32 at Earls Court went to Olympia last
night

As there are no trains scheduled to do this on a weekday except "seven early
morning trips originating from Lillie Bridge depot and two early evening
training trips"

Old September 25th 19, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"tim..." wrote in message

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 06/09/2019 16:13, tim... wrote:
"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 06/09/2019 10:56, tim... wrote:

[...]

Presumably it would then go on up to the depot?

Old September 25th 19, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"tim..." wrote in message

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 06/09/2019 16:13, tim... wrote:
"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 06/09/2019 10:56, tim... wrote:

[...]

perhaps

but the southbound ones are in the WTT - shown as "Empty"

this Northbound one, isn't -

and no attempt was made to run it empty. The driver made several
announcements that he was going to Olympia to be sure that everybody who
don't want that destination go off. But no attempt was made to stop people
using it if they did

tim