Old September 15th 19, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Distances from London

On 15/09/2019 13:05, Roland Perry wrote:

I'd still demand a recount. The *far* end of that road is 14.77 miles
from Euston Road (adjacent to the station) not even the buffers,
according to Google maps.

Whichever way it works out, the Union agreed with the management. And a
ten percent increase for the entire time I worked there wouldn't even
buy a decent meal now.

The block is still there, but with a different occupier, and has had a
revamp.

On the west side, presumably. Meridien House? The rest looks too new to
qualify.

Dunno, I remember the entrance and block shape as being more like what
is now the Holiday Inn, and I know that chain have refurbished old
office blocks before. This would also be in line with the council's
plans for the area.

It was a concrete framed building with curtain walls, and they were
designed to have regular facelifts just by hanging new walls on them.
and the interior walls were most emphatically not load bearing. The
frame and lift core were specified to laST a century or more, but when
this was built in the '60s, it was known that fashions in building
appearances and interior layouts changed over time. When I was there, we
had single glazed steel windows and very thin walling between us and the
outside.

Wikilies says that Watford Junction is 17 miles 44 chains from the
buffers at Euston, so they may have been using rail miles, and I
misremembered the accusation about merely being on the wrong side of the
road.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Old September 15th 19, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:00:44 on Sun, 15
Sep 2019, John Williamson remarked:
On 15/09/2019 13:05, Roland Perry wrote:

I'd still demand a recount. The *far* end of that road is 14.77 miles
from Euston Road (adjacent to the station) not even the buffers,
according to Google maps.

Whichever way it works out, the Union agreed with the management. And a
ten percent increase for the entire time I worked there wouldn't even
buy a decent meal now.

The block is still there, but with a different occupier, and has had a
revamp.

On the west side, presumably. Meridien House? The rest looks too new to
qualify.

Dunno, I remember the entrance and block shape as being more like what
is now the Holiday Inn, and I know that chain have refurbished old
office blocks before. This would also be in line with the council's
plans for the area.

Ditto the infamous office block across the road from Brentwood Station
where I worked in the 80's is now Premier Inn.

It was a concrete framed building with curtain walls, and they were
designed to have regular facelifts just by hanging new walls on them.
and the interior walls were most emphatically not load bearing. The
frame and lift core were specified to laST a century or more, but when
this was built in the '60s, it was known that fashions in building
appearances and interior layouts changed over time. When I was there,
we had single glazed steel windows and very thin walling between us and
the outside.

Wikilies says that Watford Junction is 17 miles 44 chains from the
buffers at Euston, so they may have been using rail miles, and I
misremembered the accusation about merely being on the wrong side of
the road.

I did wonder if they were using railway miles to the adjacent station,
rather than crow-flies miles.
Old September 25th 19, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

The AA used to produce a set of paper maps which were mostly black and
white but had red lines indicating the best driving route from the city
named on the front to every major town in Britain. Does anyone know what
they were called, because I can't find anything abut them on the web. I'd
like to know for how many different cities were these maps produced.

I still have a 1950 AA roadbook (with a few pages missing) and at the front
is a schematic of UK roads with red numbers on them indicating which driving
route uses that road

then there is a list of driving routes from various As to Bs

There is 830 of them

and as per a PP I remember when we were going on holiday my dad used to go
to the AA office (in Croydon) and have them print out a specific itinerary
for our destination - pity that we never kept any of them.

No idea how they managed this as I never went with him.

tim

Old September 25th 19, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 12/09/2019 17:29, Roland Perry wrote:

My recollection is that there were a surprisingly large number of them,
indeed you might even be able to get a custom one. I wonder what process
they used to produce them?

The ones I remember are the ones we used to order before going on holiday
in a new area.

Send them the required start and finish points, and you got a booklet of
strip maps, sort of like the ones that Autoroute could be told to print
out in its early days. They had written directions on them as well.

I think they were produced by using a standard set of route segments,
assembled by hand.

Checks Blimey,they still offer the service,but it's on line now.

Nowadays, you can print the text route (Including the signs to follow at
major junctions) yourself with an option to print a map of any confusing
sections.

Google Maps anyone?

No doubt other mapping services available

tim

Old September 25th 19, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25/09/2019 14:32, tim... wrote:

"John Williamson" wrote in message

AA route maps
Checks Blimey,they still offer the service,but it's on line now.

Nowadays, you can print the text route (Including the signs to follow
at major junctions) yourself with an option to print a map of any
confusing sections.

Google Maps anyone?

No doubt other mapping services available

They are, but it's interesting that the AA still find it worthwhile to
maintain their own system even now.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.