Old October 13th 19, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fares Fair fares

Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?

There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.

--
Clive D.W. Feather

Old October 14th 19, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/10/2019 22:45, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?

There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.

I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvc G9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==

(click on the image for a bit better quality)
--
Robin
Old October 15th 19, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 07:27:33 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 13/10/2019 22:45, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?

There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.

I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvc G9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==

(click on the image for a bit better quality)

How did one pay for the journey in 1981 and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

--
jhk
Old October 15th 19, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jarle Hammen Knudsen" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 07:27:33 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 13/10/2019 22:45, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?

There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.

I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvc G9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==

(click on the image for a bit better quality)

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did they
still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

tim

Old October 15th 19, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/10/2019 21:10, Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 07:27:33 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 13/10/2019 22:45, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?

There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.

I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvc G9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==

(click on the image for a bit better quality)

How did one pay for the journey in 1981 and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

IIRC they were yellow with a mag stripe, Either bought from a machine or
from a ticket office.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old October 15th 19, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:24:43 on Tue, 15 Oct
2019, tim... remarked:

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

Coins.

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

Yes. Introduced for the Victoria Line I think.

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.
Old October 15th 19, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvc G9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==

(click on the image for a bit better quality)

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did they
still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

tim

Fairly sure they were still the yellow card tickets at that time with the
mag stripe on the back,
a personal recollection to fix the time was a rugby team visit to Paris and
the Metro was using similar
tickets but instead of one thick oxide stripe there were two thinner
ones,brought one back to London and out of curiosity tried in an LT gate
which as expected rejected it.
The Paris trip organised by Ian Allen travel used a Laker Airways DC 10 and
not too long before DC 10’s had been the subject of several incidents
resulting in them being grounded ,
So that trip must have been between when they were reinstated and Laker
ceasing operations.

Were they actually classed as Edmundson tickets ? I though they were quite
a bit longer.

GH

Old October 15th 19, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , tim...
writes

.. .

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collectio...ne/posters/ite
m/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvc G9zdGVycz9zaG
9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==

(click on the image for a bit better quality)

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

tim

Yellow

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:London_Underground_ticket_1981.jpg

--
Bryan Morris
Old October 16th 19, 06:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:34:35 on Tue, 15
Oct 2019, Marland remarked:
[...]

And on thinner card.
Old October 16th 19, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:24:43 on Tue, 15 Oct
2019, tim... remarked:

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

Coins.

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

Yes. Introduced for the Victoria Line I think.

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.

The experimental installations were mainly at the District line stations
between Hammersmith and Acton Town
installed in the few years before the Victoria line opened.

I felt a bit personally targeted by some of the publicity surrounding
these , I cannot remember the exact wording but it was roughly “
Londoners ,Impress your country cousins by your mastery of modern
technology
while you show them how to use the gate”.
Due to the death of my father I had recently stopped being a young Londoner
and got moved from the vicinity
of Chiswick to the country bumpkin status of a farm in Devon in withered
arm territory shortly before it became a couple of fingers.
After that visits to London were biannual and I well remember the feeling
of insult on reading that publicity that
appeared to imply Londoners were of superior intelligence.
Still ,judging by the Homes in the Country TV presentation it was Mother
and I who were predicting the future
as 5 decades later half the buggers in London seem to want to move down
there to escape the stress that they themselves have had a part in
creating.

While checking the dates I came across this excellent article on the ticket
machines and automatic gates on LT.

The yellow tickets come in about chapter 5

http://www.metadyne.co.uk/pdf_files/AFC4.pdf

GH