Old October 16th 19, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fares Fair fares

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 21:24:43 on Tue, 15 Oct 2019,
tim... remarked:

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

Coins.

notes if you paid at the "ubiquitous" ticket office

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

Yes. Introduced for the Victoria Line I think.

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint

they weren't much bigger, and they were thinner

(and none of the technology of) Edmondson.

hence the reason that I said "Edmondson sized "

A later incarnation of LT tickets were credit card sized but with square
corners

And certainly not orange, IIRC red.

tim

Old October 16th 19, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marland" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvc G9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==

(click on the image for a bit better quality)

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they
still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

tim

Fairly sure they were still the yellow card tickets at that time with the
mag stripe on the back,

I can't remember

but did they have a thin stripe on the back

or did the "magnetic "bit cover the whole of the back of the ticket?

a personal recollection to fix the time was a rugby team visit to Paris
and
the Metro was using similar
tickets but instead of one thick oxide stripe there were two thinner
ones,brought one back to London and out of curiosity tried in an LT gate
which as expected rejected it.
The Paris trip organised by Ian Allen travel used a Laker Airways DC 10
and
not too long before DC 10’s had been the subject of several incidents
resulting in them being grounded ,
So that trip must have been between when they were reinstated and Laker
ceasing operations.

Were they actually classed as Edmundson tickets ? I though they were
quite
a bit longer.

surely the deciding factor for Edmondson tickets was that they were
pre-printed with destination leaving date to be stamped on

"Yellow" tickets were printed onto a blank roll and cut to the required
length whilst being issued.

I don't have an LT ticket of the era in my collection, but I do have a Paris
one, and some Edmondson ones from heritage lines

The yellow ticket is the same width and about 8mm longer

and half the thickness (but that's obviously from a requirement for feeding
them through a machine)

tim

Old October 16th 19, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 06:19:26 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 21:34:35 on Tue, 15
Oct 2019, Marland remarked:
[...]

And on thinner card.

They were certainly more flexible than the green Edmundsons as they
needed to be passed through a roller-driver mechanism.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old October 16th 19, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 09:42:14 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

surely the deciding factor for Edmondson tickets was that they were
pre-printed with destination leaving date to be stamped on

The LT ones only had an implied destination. What they carried was the
origin and the fare paid. I think the term was simplified schematic.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old October 16th 19, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/10/2019 21:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:24:43 on Tue, 15 Oct
2019, tim... remarked:

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

Coins.

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

Yes. Introduced for the Victoria Line I think.

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.

Vaguely remember there were some green ones as well.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old October 16th 19, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 16:46:40 +0100, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 15/10/2019 21:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:24:43 on Tue, 15 Oct
2019, tim... remarked:

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

Definitely! Perhaps the odd cheque...

They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.

Vaguely remember there were some green ones as well.

I think these were from older ticket machines (one per fare!) at
stations without ticket barriers, but other stations issued yellow mag
stripe (more like the whole of the back, and a bit sticky) even when
there were no barriers. The barrier paddles were, er, padded, and
some had a mode, long since disabled, where they would remain open
until anyone tried to go through without a ticket.

Some tickets, like the various rovers, were on larger card, not quite
the same as a credit card, and portrait orientation. I'm not sure
what barriered stations would issue these on, the same presumably.

By the time I was a regular passenger, Cubic had been round drilling
through anything of priceless historic interest and fitted all the
paraphernalia for UTS.

Richard.
Old October 20th 19, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin
writes
I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collectio.../item/2007-869
7?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvcG9 zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOC
ZsaW1pdD00OA==

Thanks very much.

--
Clive D.W. Feather