Old November 2nd 19, 11:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Orion 769 Flex cargo services into Liverpool St

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:54:27 on Sat, 2 Nov
2019, Marland remarked:

[Aldi]

Unfortunately they have gone up market as they have been discovered and the
packing on the shelf habit is waning

I blame the rise of re-usable shopping bags. The most common scheme I
see deployed is from till into one or more of such bags propped open
inside the trolley. Which is noticeably slower (for the till operator
and the queue) than bunging it all back in the trolley and using the
packing shelf.

We used to not bother with bags at all, just pick up some of the cardboard
packaging that was left in a cage in places, you had to pick carefully as
some was not that strong but others were fine, fill them up on the packing
shelf , wheel to car ,empty at home and tear up cardboard into smaller bits
and put into the compost bin .
Compost likes a bit of browner ,dry material to blend with the greener
sloppy stuff and it was a convenient way to get some.

Though we did it for convenience it was probably more environmentally
friendly than using any style bags
though to be honest we don’t visit any supermarket with any degree of
regularity being in the fortunate position of still having access to
several independent butchers, bakers and grocers and a decent county town
market and a Milkman still delivers 3 times a week.

The middle of lidl aisle sometimes has something useful on offer and it is
when we visit to get something from that we stock up on items like
flour,tinned fish and frozen fish and some other things. Also loo rolls and
cleaning items like bleach but if you have room to store 25l containers the
agricultural supply stores can often beat even lidl and aldi though the
solutions will be unfamiliar names designed to clean and sterilise animal
pen floors or milking equipment. Most need further dilution for house use
which makes them even more economical.

GH

Old November 3rd 19, 06:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:21:55 on Sat, 2 Nov 2019,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

Morrisons has the advantage that their products in Market Street are
excellent and beat the quality of the other supermarkets I have access to.

Morrisons has the disadvantage that their pre-packaged ham and cheese is at
the opposite corner of the store than their deli counter, meaning you can't
compare the two ranges without marching repeatedly the length of the
store...

I suspect that might be deliberate!

Why? I don't see how it helps sales from either department, compared to
other supermarkets which co-locate both departments?

(See also Adsa, where I compare the various levels of own-brand and
other-brand pre-prepared pizza with the adjacent freshly-prepared in-store
pizza, but never with the frozen pizza about 3/4 of the store away.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old November 3rd 19, 06:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 13:13:53 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:42:54 on Sat, 2 Nov
2019, remarked:
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 01:44:29 +0000
wrote:
On 02/11/2019 01:15, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
wrote:

Its always good to be reminded why I avoid those branded famine relief
centres called Aldi and Lidl. God awful ********s.

I truely do not understand why they are so popular. They mostly sell a
combination of Poundland size packages and generic products. I can do
equally as
well with careful selection at Tesco or Morrisons and get much
higher quality

product.

I use Aldi regularly as one is very close. I find the quality of their
products much better than Tesco, and once you know the layout you can
get in and out very quickly.

They don't have a layout, they just have pallets straight of the lorry
arranged in rows.

I do love it when someone proves they've never seen what it is they
claim to be talking about.

I must have imagined seeing exactly that then every time I go into my
local Lidl.

I'm not as frequent a shopper at Lidl as I am at Aldi, but certainly in the
latter I can't remember ever seeing goods for sale from a pallet. Are you
sure you aren't channelling KiwkSave?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old November 3rd 19, 07:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:56:24 on Sun, 3 Nov 2019,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
I use Aldi regularly as one is very close. I find the quality of their
products much better than Tesco, and once you know the layout you can
get in and out very quickly.

They don't have a layout, they just have pallets straight of the lorry
arranged in rows.

I do love it when someone proves they've never seen what it is they
claim to be talking about.

I must have imagined seeing exactly that then every time I go into my
local Lidl.

I'm not as frequent a shopper at Lidl as I am at Aldi, but certainly in the
latter I can't remember ever seeing goods for sale from a pallet. Are you
sure you aren't channelling KiwkSave?

In mine there's often a pallet (or possibly two) on the left just inside
the door with very seasonal items on it (or just after, a deep discount
- I'd expect some Halloween clearance if I went today).

Apart from that, no pallets. Tesco has more pallets, which they use for
sugar all year round and piled with mince pies at Xmas.
Old November 3rd 19, 07:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:56:23 on Sun, 3 Nov 2019,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:21:55 on Sat, 2 Nov 2019,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

Morrisons has the advantage that their products in Market Street are
excellent and beat the quality of the other supermarkets I have access to.

Morrisons has the disadvantage that their pre-packaged ham and cheese is at
the opposite corner of the store than their deli counter, meaning you can't
compare the two ranges without marching repeatedly the length of the
store...

I suspect that might be deliberate!

Why? I don't see how it helps sales from either department, compared to
other supermarkets which co-locate both departments?

On one hand it means you are spending more time in the shop, and might
pass something else which caches your eye; on the other hand your reason
for comparing prices is to get the best possible deal, which means
people who don't/can't are getting a less than best deal- so more profit
for the shop.

(See also Adsa, where I compare the various levels of own-brand and
other-brand pre-prepared pizza with the adjacent freshly-prepared in-store
pizza, but never with the frozen pizza about 3/4 of the store away.

Of the shops I use, Sainsbury's has the biggest distance between its two
kinds of pizza. The fresh ones are at the back towards the left of the
deli counter, the frozen on the far right near the front.

In Aldi the fresh pizza are 2/3 of the way back on the RHS of the first
aisle on the left, and the frozen pizza are 2/3 of the way back on the
LHS of the rightmost aisle. Their pizza are another good example of
"getting what you pay for". With an extremely wide range of prices, you
shouldn't expect the 79p examples to be as good as the £3.29 examples.
But if you've only got a 79p budget, at least there's *something* you
can buy.

Old November 3rd 19, 08:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 03/11/2019 08:08, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:56:24 on Sun, 3 Nov 2019,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
I use Aldi regularly as one is very close.Â* I find the quality of
[...]

But Morrisons has the better mince pies on Market Street.
Old November 3rd 19, 08:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:00:00 on Sun, 3 Nov 2019,
remarked:
[...]

The Tesco ones are probably "Mr Kipling", or perhaps the Tesco clone. No
doubt they have some premium ones elsewhere.
Old November 3rd 19, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 07:56:24 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Nope, Lidl. And it was like that last time I looked in a few months back.