Old October 24th 19, 02:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Orion 769 Flex cargo services into Liverpool St

On 2019-10-22 12:43:57 +0000, Anna Noyd-Dryver said:

tim... wrote:

the problem with pallets is they presumably need to be fork lifted

and you aren't going to be able to load up a train carriage through a couple
of side doors (even if you widen them) using fork lifts, you'd need flat
wagons for that

You’ve never seen pallets being wheeled around supermarkets etc on one of
these?

https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/558/55833_2000x2000.jpg

Some lorries (and, I think, many aircraft) are fitted with handling
systems in the floor for allowing loads to be shifted around without
having to run a vehicle inside the cargo space. The ones in trucks
were known as 'jo-loaders' when had student summer jobs, but that was
some time ago and I can't find many references to that term now.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Old October 24th 19, 03:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 22/10/2019 14:35, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

The taxi rank used to be between platforms 10 and 11, at platform level.
ISTR seeing service vehicles in that area on a recent journey, so
presumably there’s still access.

There still is a taxi rank between platforms 10 & 11, at platform level.

Yes, I managed to miss the taxi logo on the NR website when I looked to
check platform numbers, and I posted before seeing Recliner(?)'s post
saying that the taxi rank is still in that location.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old October 31st 19, 08:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Anna Noyd-Dryver" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Anna Noyd-Dryver" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

And. of course, they will only deliver the bottom pallet of a stack

How high do you think they’ll be stacked within a train carriage?

more than one

The pallets I’ve seen on supermarket shop floors are stacked to about 6
feet high and wrapped in shrink wrap. I didn’t realise 769s had 12 foot
internal headroom...

from personal experience:

you wouldn't want to be moving around a 6 foot high stack with a hand driven
thingy

you need the item to be no higher than you can reasonably see over the top

Yesterday I noted a pallet being moved around on a pallet trolley at my
local Aldi; it was stacked to far above head height with plastic trays
containing loaves of sliced bread, the whole lot wrapped in cling film to
keep it together.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old October 31st 19, 08:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:19:15 on Thu, 31 Oct
2019, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

you wouldn't want to be moving around a 6 foot high stack with a hand driven
thingy

you need the item to be no higher than you can reasonably see over the top

Yesterday I noted a pallet being moved around on a pallet trolley at my
local Aldi; it was stacked to far above head height with plastic trays
containing loaves of sliced bread, the whole lot wrapped in cling film to
keep it together.

I don't know if yours is different, but our Aldi takes no prisoners when
it comes to shelf-stacking. The staff expect customers to scatter when
they barge past with the pallets, and then leave them blocking the
aisle.
Old November 1st 19, 03:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:49:07 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 08:19:15 on Thu, 31 Oct
2019, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

you wouldn't want to be moving around a 6 foot high stack with a hand driven
thingy

you need the item to be no higher than you can reasonably see over the top

Yesterday I noted a pallet being moved around on a pallet trolley at my
local Aldi; it was stacked to far above head height with plastic trays
containing loaves of sliced bread, the whole lot wrapped in cling film to
keep it together.

I don't know if yours is different, but our Aldi takes no prisoners when
it comes to shelf-stacking. The staff expect customers to scatter when
they barge past with the pallets, and then leave them blocking the
aisle.

Sounds like various ASDA branches at 3am (but with more leisurely
pallet moving).

Old November 1st 19, 08:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:19:15 on Thu, 31 Oct
2019, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

you wouldn't want to be moving around a 6 foot high stack with a hand driven

thingy

you need the item to be no higher than you can reasonably see over the top

Yesterday I noted a pallet being moved around on a pallet trolley at my
local Aldi; it was stacked to far above head height with plastic trays
containing loaves of sliced bread, the whole lot wrapped in cling film to
keep it together.

I don't know if yours is different, but our Aldi takes no prisoners when
it comes to shelf-stacking. The staff expect customers to scatter when
they barge past with the pallets, and then leave them blocking the
aisle.

Its always good to be reminded why I avoid those branded famine relief
centres called Aldi and Lidl. God awful ********s.

Old November 1st 19, 08:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Aldi do very good 70% dark chocolate, in packs of 5 small
individually-wrapped bars.

--
Jeremy Double
Old November 1st 19, 09:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Probably in high strength plastic so the chavs can't munch on them before
they've got to the till.

Old November 1st 19, 09:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

No, packed in card, so they look like a 100 (ish) g bar of chocolate.

--
Jeremy Double
Old November 1st 19, 10:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Decent produce (some things really good, particularly ham and gin) for
cheap prices; efficient staff who look like they work hard; free
electricity at Lidl

Anna Noyd-Dryver