Old November 2nd 19, 01:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Orion 769 Flex cargo services into Liverpool St

wrote:
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 01:44:29 +0000
wrote:
On 02/11/2019 01:15, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
wrote:

Its always good to be reminded why I avoid those branded famine relief
centres called Aldi and Lidl. God awful ********s.

I truely do not understand why they are so popular. They mostly sell a
combination of Poundland size packages and generic products. I can do

equally as
well with careful selection at Tesco or Morrisons and get much higher quality

product.

I use Aldi regularly as one is very close. I find the quality of their
products much better than Tesco, and once you know the layout you can
get in and out very quickly.

They don't have a layout, they just have pallets straight of the lorry
arranged in rows. Thats not a supermarket, its a distribution centre.

They used to be a bit like that with poor lighting to boot, but at least
the tills and staff were very fast
and Waitrose Woman and Muddling Man stayed out of the places as they felt
intimidated by the need to move items back into the trolley and do packing
into their bags on the shelf provided.
And where else could you nip in somewhere with a free car park to to buy
something to eat and end up walking out with a welder, or as a mate of mine
did while we helped move him into a house, Nipped out to Aldi to get us
something to eat. “thought you’d want something hot” So he bought some pies
etc and a Microwave to heat them with.

Unfortunately they have gone up market as they have been discovered and the
packing on the shelf habit is waning , I think they were at their best
about 10 years ago when they stopped looking like shop in the third world
and got some lighting and some shelves in but prices were still a bargain.

Now with the latest refurbishments they look much like any other
supermarket, unfortunately prices are not the bargain they once were though
some of the offers of interesting bits can still be keenly priced.
That the longer established names can beat them sometimes onitems is as
much them having to match some of their prices to keep market share.

If you haven’t ventured into an updated one you would not know but if you
have and still think it looks like a distribution centre ask someone to
look and see if they have some of their paint on offer and guide you to it,
its quite good stuff and the most common colour is white . Buy some and
paint a stick with it.

GH

Old November 2nd 19, 02:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:54:27 on Sat, 2 Nov
2019, Marland remarked:

[Aldi]

Unfortunately they have gone up market as they have been discovered and the
packing on the shelf habit is waning

I blame the rise of re-usable shopping bags. The most common scheme I
see deployed is from till into one or more of such bags propped open
inside the trolley. Which is noticeably slower (for the till operator
and the queue) than bunging it all back in the trolley and using the
packing shelf.
Old November 2nd 19, 02:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:21:55 on Sat, 2 Nov 2019,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

Morrisons has the advantage that their products in Market Street are
excellent and beat the quality of the other supermarkets I have access to.

Morrisons has the disadvantage that their pre-packaged ham and cheese is at
the opposite corner of the store than their deli counter, meaning you can't
compare the two ranges without marching repeatedly the length of the
store...

I suspect that might be deliberate!

Old November 2nd 19, 09:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 22:12:44 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:49:07 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:19:15 on Thu, 31 Oct
2019, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

you wouldn't want to be moving around a 6 foot high stack with a hand

driven

thingy

you need the item to be no higher than you can reasonably see over the top

Yesterday I noted a pallet being moved around on a pallet trolley at my
local Aldi; it was stacked to far above head height with plastic trays
containing loaves of sliced bread, the whole lot wrapped in cling film to
keep it together.

I don't know if yours is different, but our Aldi takes no prisoners when
it comes to shelf-stacking. The staff expect customers to scatter when
they barge past with the pallets, and then leave them blocking the
aisle.

Its always good to be reminded why I avoid those branded famine relief
centres called Aldi and Lidl. God awful ********s.

Decent produce (some things really good, particularly ham and gin) for

Would that be the bright pink with more nitrates than a fertiliser lorry
and made by some german company you've never heard of ham?

Aldi do a range of Italian-style hams which are particularly tasty.

cheap prices; efficient staff who look like they work hard; free
electricity at Lidl

Do they have a special carrier bag for that then?

Pod Point chargers in the car park of a number of stores.

Incidentally if you have a vehicle-to-property system installed you could
actually use this to power your house.

Anna Noyd-Dryver