Old November 15th 19, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Express slashes fares (so it says!)

In message , at 20:41:41 on Fri, 15 Nov
2019, remarked:
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 15:17:03 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:24:18 on Fri, 15 Nov
2019, Bryan Morris remarked:

I find the Picc unbearably deep, so by the time I've reached Barons
Court (westbound) I'm standing by the door gasping for fresh air. No
other tunnel affects me like that, not even the Chunnel.

I thought the Northern Line Edgware Branch was deepest. I know when I
used to travel via Hampstead/Golders Green my ears used to pop.

That's the deepest under the surface, but the surface is a hill! Air
pressure on the surface there will be lower as a result, by about 2.5%

I think the deepest below sea level (from memory) is the Jubilee between
Westminster and Waterloo.

Later: Hampstead Station is approx 200m above sea level at the surface,
140m above sea level at the platform.

Not it isn't. The highest point of the heath which is well above the tube
station is 134m. I'm guessing the station entrance is around 80-90m.

That's what one gets for looking things up at what turns out to be an
unreliable source. I still believe that the platforms are 60m below the
surface, which a more reliable source puts at 376ft (ie 115m).

Old November 15th 19, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Graeme Wall
writes
You can buy a ticket for the S-Bahn at the terminal too. As we'd just
missed a CAT train we actually got to Mitte earlier than if we'd paid
the extra.

Quite possibly. But I couldn't be bothered to search out options.

Machines right next to the counter where you get the CAT tickets.

If I ever go again, I'll try to remember that.

On the other hand, I had a nice train ride in Business Class (better
than 1st class) from Vienna to Zurich on the way back. 25 minutes late
arriving because a Swiss train was late to our single line crossing
point in Liechtenstein.

--
Clive D.W. Feather
Old November 15th 19, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Hampstead is on a steep hill and the station platforms are the deepest
on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres (192 ft) below ground
level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground at 55 metres
(180 ft) which houses high-speed lifts.
Source
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampstead_tube_station
--
Bryan Morris
Old November 15th 19, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Bryan Morris
writes
In message , Roland Perry
writes
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

BTW - I used to live in Highgate and frequently travelled Hampstead
Lane/Heath Street to my office . Hampstead station is not at the top of
the Hill (I might be wrong but it's the Pond by the Heath that's
probably the apex) so the line is further under ground there than at the
station.
--
Bryan Morris
Old November 16th 19, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , Bryan Morris
writes
In message , Roland Perry
writes
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Isn’t the deepest bit near the site of the unfinished North End Station now
better known by the unofficial name Bull and Bush?

GH

Old November 16th 19, 06:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:48:37 on Fri, 15 Nov
2019, Bryan Morris remarked:
In message , Roland Perry
writes
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Indeed, but if the earlier poster was having difficulty breathing due to
depth, it could be attributed to air pressure, which is a factor of
sea-level, not depth from the surface. However as the effect is less
than 1% at such depths, perhaps it's claustrophobia or air pollution
that's really the issue. In which case the tube lines are more prone to
those than the DLR.
Old November 16th 19, 06:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:04:32 on Fri, 15 Nov
2019, Bryan Morris remarked:
In message , Bryan Morris
writes
In message , Roland Perry
writes
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

The highest point the line passes under is 446ft (136m) the other side
of the road from the aptly named Heath Brow car park; the old Bull and
Bush pub is 391ft (119m).

Note that Google maps is particularly bad at showing the route with it's
"fit a curve to the stations" algorithm ignoring a bend just north of
Hampstead station with the actual line following Heath Road.
Old November 16th 19, 07:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the station platforms are the deepest
on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres (192 ft) below ground
level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground at 55 metres
(180 ft) which houses high-speed lifts.
Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampstead_tube_station

Indeed, but if the earlier poster was having difficulty breathing due to
depth, it could be attributed to air pressure, which is a factor of
sea-level, not depth from the surface. However as the effect is less
than 1% at such depths, perhaps it's claustrophobia or air pollution
that's really the issue. In which case the tube lines are more prone to
those than the DLR.

But I wonder what it is peculiar to the Piccadilly that affects Basil in
that way ?
He says it is the deepness of it but it isn’t really that different from
the other London tube Lines (using tube in the old way to describe the
smaller loading gauge routes).
Perhaps it is the only one he uses , or enters by one of the few remaining
lifts entries which seem to emphasise
a trip towards the underworld.
Basil,have you ever taken a journey on the Glasgow Subway?
If you have did you find that claustrophobic at all with it loading gauge
even smaller than London tubes.

GH

Old November 16th 19, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Yes, it sounds moreÂ*like claustrophobia than air pressure. But I don't
think the 73TS is any more claustrophobic than any other current Tube
stock, so I don't know why that line should be different to, say, the
Bakerloo line, whose trains have a similar mid 1970s ambience. And, apart
from the twisty section just east of South Ken, the Piccadilly line tunnels
aren't as noisy as, say, the Northern or JLE.

Old November 16th 19, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/11/2019 14:24, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , Basil Jet
writes
On 09/11/2019 17:09, wrote:
Well until we see a crossrail timetable there's no way to tell, but
having
commuted all the way to hatton cross and back each day for 9 months
on that
line I would be very surprised if it was the same end to end. It is
utterly
hopeless especially in the rush hour - it literally crawls through
west london
and only once past hammersmith does it reach anything approaching a
reasonable
speed. And then there'd usually be some pointless delay at Acton. I
actually
terminated the contract early because I couldn't stand it any longer,
almost
2 hours each way door to door on a bad day (which was most of them).

I find the Picc unbearably deep, so by the time I've reached Barons
Court (westbound) I'm standing by the door gasping for fresh air. No
other tunnel affects me like that, not even the Chunnel.

I thought the Northern Line Edgware Branch was deepest. I know when I
used to travel via Hampstead/Golders Green my ears used to pop.

I thinks it's the duration spent at deep level which causes my drowning
feeling. It's only if I go all the way from Bounds Green or so to Barons
Court that it happens.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Can - Unlimited Edition