Old December 31st 19, 03:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London St Pancras to Bedford

I sometimes take a train (to my younger daughter) who lives in Bedford.

As you may know there are 2 services from St Pancras to Bedford. A slow
one run by Thameslink and a fast one run by EMR

I go to the booking office and ask for an off peak day return and for
£15.70 get handed a ticket that states "From London Thameslink to
Bedford Valid via any permitted route"

I invariably take the fast EMR train

Sunday night when I came back (by EMR) my ticket was refused by the gate
and an official used his card to open the gate for me - giving me a
filthy look as he did.

As I say I just ask for a return at the booking office - do I do
anything wrong travelling by EMR when the ticket says "from London
Thameslink"?
--
Bryan Morris

Old December 31st 19, 11:24 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?
Old December 31st 19, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:24:37 on Tue, 31
Dec 2019, Robin9 remarked:

Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?

We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for "London
Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.

And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.

*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket as
far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.
Old December 31st 19, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 11:24:37 on Tue, 31
Dec 2019, Robin9 remarked:

Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?

We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for "London
Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.

And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.

*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket as
far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.

Thanks that's how I viewed it so was surprised when the gate rejected my
ticket and told me to seek assistance and the attitude of the person who
opened the gate for me.

The booking office didn't ask me which train company I wanted they just
give me the tickets
--
Bryan Morris
Old December 31st 19, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:00:02 on Tue, 31 Dec
2019, Bryan Morris remarked:
In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 11:24:37 on Tue,
31 Dec 2019, Robin9 remarked:

Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?

We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for "London
Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.

And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.

*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket as
far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.

Thanks that's how I viewed it so was surprised when the gate rejected
my ticket and told me to seek assistance and the attitude of the person
who opened the gate for me.

Now that we know it's one of the weekend-only tickets, it's entirely
possible the gates won't accept them. But then you'd think the staff
would be used to letting people through manually.

The booking office didn't ask me which train company I wanted they just
give me the tickets

JOOI, which ticket office was it - the Thameslink vs EMR at St Pancras,
or somewhere else?

Old December 31st 19, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/12/2019 15:41, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Maybe he was just fed up with the number of people requiring exit
assistance. Annoyed with whoever programmed the gates rather then the users.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 31st 19, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:27:13 on Tue, 31 Dec
2019, Graeme Wall remarked:
Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?

We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for
"London Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.

And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.

*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket
as far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.

Thanks that's how I viewed it so was surprised when the gate
rejected my ticket and told me to seek assistance and the attitude
of the person who opened the gate for me.

Now that we know it's one of the weekend-only tickets, it's entirely
possible the gates won't accept them. But then you'd think the staff
would be used to letting people through manually.

Maybe he was just fed up with the number of people requiring exit
assistance.

The OP was requiring entry assistance.

Annoyed with whoever programmed the gates rather then the users.

Old December 31st 19, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/12/2019 17:02, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:27:13 on Tue, 31 Dec
2019, Graeme Wall remarked:
Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?

We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for
"London Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.

And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.

*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket
as far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.

Thanks that's how I viewed it so was surprised when the gate
rejectedĀ* my ticket and told me to seek assistance and the attitude
of theĀ* person who opened the gate for me.
Ā*Now that we know it's one of the weekend-only tickets, it's entirely
possible the gates won't accept them. But then you'd think the staff
would be used to letting people through manually.

Maybe he was just fed up with the number of people requiring exit
assistance.

The OP was requiring entry assistance.

Whichever, the effect is the same.

Old December 31st 19, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
[...]

Aah Just noticed restrictions are weekends (which it was) only

It was the National Rail office at the station.
--
Bryan Morris
Old December 31st 19, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
[...]

Nope it was my return to St Pancras I needed assistance in getting out