Old January 5th 20, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default no circle line today

(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you want to
go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative journey
take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the planner
before I travelled

tim

Old January 5th 20, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you want to
go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative journey
take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the planner
before I travelled

Don't you get the weekly TfL newsletter? The latest one says this:

Circle line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Edgware Road and Aldgate via Victoria. This is due to track replacement
work. Use alternative Tube or local bus routes.

District line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between Earl's
Court and East Ham. This is due to track replacement work. Use alternative
Tube, local or replacement bus services. Rail replacement buses will run
from Liverpool Street/Canning Town to Barking.

Hammersmith & City line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Hammersmith and Barking. This is due to track replacement work. Use
alternative Tube, local or rail replacement bus services. Rail

Old January 5th 20, 11:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Recliner
writes
Circle line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Edgware Road and Aldgate via Victoria. This is due to track replacement
work. Use alternative Tube or local bus routes.

So the Circle was running Hammersmith to Aldgate?

Hammersmith & City line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Hammersmith and Barking. This is due to track replacement work. Use
alternative Tube, local or rail replacement bus services. Rail

Hmm; that implies separate work east of Aldgate East. I wonder if the
Circle was beefed up to compensate.

--
Clive D.W. Feather
Old January 6th 20, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you want
go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative
journey
take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the
planner
before I travelled

Don't you get the weekly TfL newsletter?

nope

I don't travel often enough (except by bus) to make such things worthwhile

The latest one says this:

Circle line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Edgware Road and Aldgate via Victoria. This is due to track replacement
work. Use alternative Tube or local bus routes.

District line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Earl's
Court and East Ham. This is due to track replacement work. Use alternative
Tube, local or replacement bus services. Rail replacement buses will run
from Liverpool Street/Canning Town to Barking.

Hammersmith & City line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Hammersmith and Barking. This is due to track replacement work. Use
alternative Tube, local or rail replacement bus services. Rail

well yes I know now

I was just commenting upon how inconvenient such works are, in the absence
of a bespoke replacement

"use local busses" simply doesn't work for some journeys (and that's
assuming you have access to the details of which local bus, and it stop, you
should use)

tim

Old January 6th 20, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Recliner
writes
Circle line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Edgware Road and Aldgate via Victoria. This is due to track replacement
work. Use alternative Tube or local bus routes.

So the Circle was running Hammersmith to Aldgate?

Hammersmith & City line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Hammersmith and Barking. This is due to track replacement work. Use
alternative Tube, local or rail replacement bus services. Rail

Hmm; that implies separate work east of Aldgate East. I wonder if the
Circle was beefed up to compensate.

I also wondered if the Wimbleware line had increased frequency to compensate
for the loss of the "city" services

But I think not as all of the services from Richmond and Ealing were being
diverted that way (at least to High St Ken) so there wouldn't be sufficient
turn around capacity (I caught a service before 9am on Sunday and it was
definitely only every 10 minutes then)

tim

Old January 6th 20, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you want
go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative
journey
take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the
planner
before I travelled

Don't you get the weekly TfL newsletter?

nope

I don't travel often enough (except by bus) to make such things worthwhile

Why not? It costs nothing.

The latest one says this:

Circle line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Edgware Road and Aldgate via Victoria. This is due to track replacement
work. Use alternative Tube or local bus routes.

District line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Earl's
Court and East Ham. This is due to track replacement work. Use alternative
Tube, local or replacement bus services. Rail replacement buses will run
from Liverpool Street/Canning Town to Barking.

Hammersmith & City line
On Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 January, there will be no service between
Hammersmith and Barking. This is due to track replacement work. Use
alternative Tube, local or rail replacement bus services. Rail

well yes I know now

You could have known days in advance.

I was just commenting upon how inconvenient such works are, in the absence
of a bespoke replacement

"use local busses" simply doesn't work for some journeys (and that's
assuming you have access to the details of which local bus, and it stop, you
should use)

So use a journey planner, such as TfL's, or Citymapper. These problems were
solved long ago.

Old January 6th 20, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you
want
go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative
journey
take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the
planner
before I travelled

Don't you get the weekly TfL newsletter?

nope

I don't travel often enough (except by bus) to make such things
worthwhile

Why not? It costs nothing.

it litters my in box

[...]

I could have know by checking the Journey planner

I was just commenting upon how inconvenient such works are, in the
absence
of a bespoke replacement

"use local busses" simply doesn't work for some journeys (and that's
assuming you have access to the details of which local bus, and it stop,
you
should use)

So use a journey planner, such as TfL's, or Citymapper. These problems
were
solved long ago.

If I'd know beforehand, yes

tim

Old January 6th 20, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
[...]

There's a free way of knowing in advance, which you reject, then complain
that you don't know in advance! Words fail me.

Old January 6th 20, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
[...]

I've already accepted my mistake

I repeat, I was just pointing out how awkward the alternatives are for
people who are unprepared

many less knowledgeable than me about how London busses work

On one bus yesterday, someone asked if they had to touch out when they got
off

and a few minutes later, someone came down the stairs and spent some seconds
fumbling in his bag for something, only just getting through the doors as
they closed - and what was he fumbling for - his card so that he could touch
out as he got off!

tim

Old January 6th 20, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/01/2020 22:34, tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you want
to go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative
journey take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the
planner before I travelled

tim

I'll never understand how they can still call it the Circle line when it
doesn't go in a circle any more. What was wrong with the Hammersmith &
City..? Or even the Metropolitan come to that.

Why do people have to mess with things that aren't broken..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen