Old January 11th 20, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Front-boarding only for BBs

MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these
monstrosities, they are an insult to the traditional Routemaster that
served London so well for so long.

As you live in Aberdeen its hardly a statement of sacrifice , if you lived
in London and really would prefer so to stand at a bus stop waiting for a
vehicle that your conscience would allow you to travel on
while Boris buses could have taken you earlier then apart from you who
cares, London is full of strange folk and one more wouldn’t be noticed.

We all have our favourite eras often driven by emotion rather than
practical considerations.
Although I was only small when it took place it took me a long time to
like the Routemaster as they had displaced the Trolleybuses I found
fascinating , to me they were just another motorbus though later I got to
learn about their construction being quite advanced.
We left London 6 months after the last Trolley though so it was a bit
academic, ISTR the overhead was removed quite quickly which dashed my young
and innocent hopes that they might change there minds. We left London a few
months later so it was all academic anyway.
On regular visits back they still were just a bus not that much different
on the outside from the AEC Regents seen in many provincial towns, it took
the introduction of the Red Arrow branded single deckers Merlins and
Swifts to provide a bit of excitement.

GH

Old January 11th 20, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11/01/2020 17:04, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these
monstrosities, they are an insult to the traditional Routemaster that
served London so well for so long.

Presumably it's not hard to avoid them, given that you live in Aberdeen?

I spend quite a lot of time in London actually, there are flights all
the time :-)

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 11th 20, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11/01/2020 17:10, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these
monstrosities, they are an insult to the traditional Routemaster that
served London so well for so long.

so what do you do

go on a round the houses trek on three busses to avoid using one?

Either that or get the Underground. Sometimes I even walk.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 11th 20, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 23:17:07 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Passengers using London's New Routemaster buses will only be able to board
them using the front door in future, transport bosses have said.

See also:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...outemaster-bus
Old January 11th 20, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these
monstrosities, they are an insult to the traditional Routemaster that
served London so well for so long.

Presumably it's not hard to avoid them, given that you live in Aberdeen?

I spend quite a lot of time in London actually, there are flights all
the time :-)

Not with Vickers Viscounts though, how do you force yourself on to
something more modern.

GH

Old January 11th 20, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these
monstrosities, they are an insult to the traditional Routemaster that
served London so well for so long.

Presumably it's not hard to avoid them, given that you live in Aberdeen?

I spend quite a lot of time in London actually, there are flights all
the time :-)

Not with Vickers Viscounts though, how do you force yourself on to
something more modern.

I'm not *that* old..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 11th 20, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these
monstrosities, they are an insult to the traditional Routemaster that
served London so well for so long.

Presumably it's not hard to avoid them, given that you live in Aberdeen?

I spend quite a lot of time in London actually, there are flights all
the time :-)

Not with Vickers Viscounts though, how do you force yourself on to
something more modern.

GH

It's hard, but these are the things we have to do.
Old January 11th 20, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these
monstrosities, they are an insult to the traditional Routemaster that
served London so well for so long.

Presumably it's not hard to avoid them, given that you live in Aberdeen?

I spend quite a lot of time in London actually, there are flights all
the time :-)

Not with Vickers Viscounts though, how do you force yourself on to
something more modern.

I'm not *that* old..!

Yes you are. Vickers Viscounts are absolutely from your favoured period.
You seem to disapprove of anything newer.

Old January 12th 20, 01:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these
monstrosities, they are an insult to the traditional Routemaster that
served London so well for so long.

Presumably it's not hard to avoid them, given that you live in Aberdeen?

I spend quite a lot of time in London actually, there are flights all
the time :-)

Not with Vickers Viscounts though, how do you force yourself on to
something more modern.

I'm not *that* old..!

British Airways were still operating a few Viscounts into the early 80’s ,
if you can remember Routemasters you should remember Viscounts.
Or are you younger than your writings make you appear and your stint on
London Transport came at the end of the Routemasters reign and the glory
days you remember are really based on the memories of older work colleagues
rather than you own though you would have loved to have been there
earlier.

Reminds me a bit of the writings on his railway career by Adrian Vaughan
who as a young person caught the end of the era of the old ways of workings
with much older colleagues and then has spent a good part of the rest of
his life giving the impression he was a little disappointed that things
moved on before he was able to emulate them .

GH

Old January 12th 20, 02:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:

[...]

I flew to Aberdeen by BEA Viscount in 1970, which is about the date Ria
wishes all technological progress had stopped, when she was 16.