Old January 22nd 20, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default St Pancras departures shown in KGX

Apologies if this is old news, but I noticed yesterday that the Kings
Cross departures board now shows ECML Thameslink departures from St
Pancras:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49423851683/in/dateposted-friend/lightbox/

I can't recall other instances of UK rail stations also showing
departures from other, adjacent stations, but perhaps there are some
that I'm not aware of.

Old January 23rd 20, 02:00 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
Old January 23rd 20, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:00:24 on Thu, 23
Jan 2020, Robin9 remarked:

That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.

What they really need is to know is from which station the train that
gets them soonest to their destination departs.

Have they yet got signage like that for passengers heading for
Luton/Bedford to choose between the STP-MML upper platforms and
Thameslink-SPILL?
Old January 23rd 20, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:

That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.

Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.

Old January 23rd 20, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:18:15 on Thu, 23 Jan
2020, Recliner remarked:
Robin9 wrote:

That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.

Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination.

Agreed.

For example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.

Or the 19:39 to Kings Lynn eight minutes later than that from Kings
Cross, which gets to Cambridge another ten minutes sooner.

Back in the day, the train a Platform 10 would have been signed for
Foxton, to stop tourists mistakenly catching it if they wanted
Cambridge.

I wonder when that stopped?

Old January 23rd 20, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Robin9 wrote:

That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.

Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.

Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon? ie don't
show trains in less than N mins time, assuming it'll take that time for
someone to walk over from King's Cross?

Theo
Old January 24th 20, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:08:07 on Thu,
23 Jan 2020, Theo remarked:
That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.

Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.

Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon?

"too soon", perhaps. They certainly won't be using the normal published
'interchange time' which is 30 mins (although perhaps that's 15+15)

Can the OP say when his photo was taken?

ie don't
show trains in less than N mins time, assuming it'll take that time for
someone to walk over from King's Cross?

I'll have a look, I'm going down to London today. [Watch out, everyone,
this usually means I jinx the schedules]

At Kings Cross they kind of do the reverse: only displaying the platform
number at the very last minute so everyone has to scurry. In the OP's
photo, all the KGX trains including 19:27 and later don't have a
platform number yet.

ps. Did everyone spot that the train in Platform 10 is a Thameslink?
There's still no news on if/when the Cambridge stoppers will start
going through the core, which is why passengers for some
intermediate stations still need to make the choice of which
terminus to patronise. For Cambridge (and Letchworth/Royston in the
peak) I think it's always quicker to wait for the next fast train.
Old January 24th 20, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:08:07 on Thu,
23 Jan 2020, Theo remarked:
That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.

Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.

Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon?

"too soon", perhaps. They certainly won't be using the normal published
'interchange time' which is 30 mins (although perhaps that's 15+15)

Can the OP say when his photo was taken?

You can see for yourself from the exif info on the photo:
Date and Time (Original) - 2020:01:21 19:00:52

The camera clock will have been within a minute of the correct time, so I'd
have taken it between 19:00 and 19:02.

Old January 24th 20, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:27:40 on Fri, 24 Jan 2020,
Roland Perry remarked:
That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.

Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.

Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon?

"too soon", perhaps. They certainly won't be using the normal published
'interchange time' which is 30 mins (although perhaps that's 15+15)

Yes, just seen a St Pancras Service disappear from the board at Kings
Cross 15 minutes before its scheduled departure from SPILL
Old January 24th 20, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:37:18 on Fri, 24 Jan
2020, Recliner remarked:

Can the OP say when his photo was taken?

You can see for yourself from the exif info on the photo:
Date and Time (Original) - 2020:01:21 19:00:52

The camera clock will have been within a minute of the correct time, so I'd
have taken it between 19:00 and 19:02.

I'm minded to say that the 19:16 would have disappeared at 19:01, so you
only just captured it.