London Banter

-   -   Twirly cards on TfL buses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17732-twirly-cards-tfl-buses.html)

Roland Perry January 23rd 20 03:57 PM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.

Recliner[_4_] January 23rd 20 09:31 PM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.

As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.

Graham Harrison[_4_] January 23rd 20 11:31 PM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:31:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.

As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.

I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.

Recliner[_4_] January 23rd 20 11:46 PM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.

As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.

I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.

Yes, I'm sure they touch a button, wasn't sure about the receipt.

MissRiaElaine January 24th 20 12:17 AM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.

As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.

I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.

Yes, I'm sure they touch a button, wasn't sure about the receipt.

When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Recliner[_4_] January 24th 20 12:49 AM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards aren't
valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your four drivers
was correct.

Roland Perry January 24th 20 08:29 AM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

In message , at 21:31:38 on Thu, 23 Jan
2020, Recliner remarked:

Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.

As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards.

I suppose they *do* read ITSO cards with [outboundary] travelcards
loaded? Anyone tried?

MissRiaElaine January 24th 20 04:50 PM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

On 24/01/2020 00:49, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.

It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards aren't
valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your four drivers
was correct.

You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4 isn't
bad..!

Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Roland Perry January 24th 20 07:55 PM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

In message , at 16:50:53 on Fri, 24
Jan 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.

It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards
aren't valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your
four drivers was correct.

You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4 isn't
bad..!

Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.

Because transport is devolved to Scotland?

Graeme Wall January 24th 20 08:17 PM

Twirly cards on TfL buses

On 24/01/2020 19:55, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:50:53 on Fri, 24
Jan 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.

Â*It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards
aren'tÂ* valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your
four driversÂ* was correct.

You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4
isn't bad..!

Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.

Because transport is devolved to Scotland?

Presumably the same applies to Wales and Ulster?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.