Old April 17th 20, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free travel on London busses

so it says:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9470161.html

I got on at the front door and tapped my card this morning

tim

Old April 17th 20, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:
so it says:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9470161.html

I got on at the front door and tapped my card this morning

But, like many bus passengers, you were presumably travelling free? In any
case, the new policy hasn't started yet:

"Free travel and middle door-only boarding will be temporarily introduced
from Monday to protect drivers and keep passengers safe from the
coronavirus, the operator said in a statement."

Old April 17th 20, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/04/2020 13:44, Recliner wrote:

"Free travel and middle door-only boarding will be temporarily introduced
from Monday to protect drivers and keep passengers safe from the
coronavirus, the operator said in a statement."

This is all very well, but London is one of the few places in the UK
where buses have middle doors, they certainly don't up here. I'm not
sure how many places other than London do, ISTR York does, but it's been
a while since I was last there.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 17th 20, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:25:46 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 17/04/2020 13:44, Recliner wrote:

"Free travel and middle door-only boarding will be temporarily introduced
from Monday to protect drivers and keep passengers safe from the
coronavirus, the operator said in a statement."

This is all very well, but London is one of the few places in the UK
where buses have middle doors, they certainly don't up here. I'm not
sure how many places other than London do, ISTR York does, but it's been
a while since I was last there.

Same here in Somerset on my local buses (which are sometimes high
floor dual use vehicles not pure buses. The double deck park and ride
buses in Bath are also single door (or they were back in early March).

I'm not even sure all London buses have dual doors. I thought I'd seen
some single door single deckers back in January.
Old April 17th 20, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 17/04/2020 13:44, Recliner wrote:

"Free travel and middle door-only boarding will be temporarily introduced
from Monday to protect drivers and keep passengers safe from the
coronavirus, the operator said in a statement."

This is all very well, but London is one of the few places in the UK
where buses have middle doors, they certainly don't up here. I'm not
sure how many places other than London do, ISTR York does, but it's been
a while since I was last there.

Same here in Somerset on my local buses (which are sometimes high
floor dual use vehicles not pure buses. The double deck park and ride
buses in Bath are also single door (or they were back in early March).

I'm not even sure all London buses have dual doors. I thought I'd seen
some single door single deckers back in January.

most London buses now have 2 doors, and the boris buses 3 doors, there
are afew single door single deckers but they are usually only in service
when there is nothing else available

--
Martin

Old April 17th 20, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 17/04/2020 13:44, Recliner wrote:

"Free travel and middle door-only boarding will be temporarily introduced
from Monday to protect drivers and keep passengers safe from the
coronavirus, the operator said in a statement."

This is all very well, but London is one of the few places in the UK
where buses have middle doors, they certainly don't up here. I'm not
sure how many places other than London do, ISTR York does, but it's been
a while since I was last there.

Same here in Somerset on my local buses (which are sometimes high
floor dual use vehicles not pure buses. The double deck park and ride
buses in Bath are also single door (or they were back in early March).

I'm not even sure all London buses have dual doors. I thought I'd seen
some single door single deckers back in January.

Yes there are a few single door single deckers, but I don't think they
have many.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 17th 20, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
so it says:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9470161.html

I got on at the front door and tapped my card this morning

But, like many bus passengers, you were presumably travelling free?

only to me

my ride is still "accounted for" in order to work out how much my LA should
pay - as part of an averaging process, not directly for that ride.

tim

Old April 17th 20, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I have never seen the 394 route with anything but a single door bus.
And I must have seen them in operation several hundred times given I
walked along part of the route 2 or 3 times a week on average until the
lockdown.

--
Robin
Old April 17th 20, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 17/04/2020 13:44, Recliner wrote:

"Free travel and middle door-only boarding will be temporarily introduced
from Monday to protect drivers and keep passengers safe from the
coronavirus, the operator said in a statement."

This is all very well, but London is one of the few places in the UK
where buses have middle doors, they certainly don't up here. I'm not
sure how many places other than London do, ISTR York does, but it's been
a while since I was last there.

Same here in Somerset on my local buses (which are sometimes high
floor dual use vehicles not pure buses. The double deck park and ride
buses in Bath are also single door (or they were back in early March).

I'm not even sure all London buses have dual doors. I thought I'd seen
some single door single deckers back in January.

There are some single door buses but I'd have thought they could be
rested while operating reduced services - assuming operators can borrow
from others and/or ask other operators to take over pro tem.

--
Robin
Old April 17th 20, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/04/2020 13:44, Recliner wrote:

"Free travel and middle door-only boarding will be temporarily introduced
from Monday to protect drivers and keep passengers safe from the
coronavirus, the operator said in a statement."

This is all very well, but London is one of the few places in the UK
where buses have middle doors, they certainly don't up here. I'm not
sure how many places other than London do, ISTR York does, but it's been
a while since I was last there.

Edinburgh was introducing them when I was there last Summer, along with
on-board videos very carefully (and ludicrously for someone used to London)
explaining and demonstrating how to board the bus using the front, and how
to leave the bus using the middle.

However, even with double doors, they still perform the peculiar Edinburgh
ritual of letting people off before the stop, but refusing to let people on
until the bus in front has left and the driver can pull up to the stand
proper. This does rather reduce the benefit of having double doors.

Lew

When did free London NYE travel begin? Mizter T London Transport 3 December 8th 15 11:14 PM
free free 100 dollors free 4days only FRee REGISTER ONLy fffghgfghghhhj London Transport 0 June 23rd 08 05:29 AM
TfL Busses MPT1327 System Q London Transport 7 April 16th 04 01:36 PM
Oyster Busses... Q London Transport 0 December 20th 03 03:06 AM
Busses Paul Weaver London Transport 37 October 22nd 03 07:55 PM