Old May 10th 20, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Nice empty tube

On 10/05/2020 13:16, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:55:01 on Sun, 10 May
2020, Graeme Wall remarked:

Many people spend (spent!) two to three hours a day commuting.
Â*Not as many as you probably think. See the transport survey I've cited.

Probably just as many as I think.

What's the percentage you have in mind?

For London, quite high.

What do you suggest she should be doing instead ?
Â*She has a husband and three youngish children for starters, which
isÂ* going to keep all of them busy.

On £200k she can afford a nanny.

Â*Which few people can, and part of the reason why her behaviour isn't
aÂ* good aspirational model for the rest of society which can't.

Tall poppy syndrome.

It's nothing to do with disparaging what she's achieved, just the
practical situation that employing a nanny is likely to cost more than
the average wage-earner's disposable income. I employed nannies for
about eight years, so I know a bit about the logistics.

Including that not many of them will want to stay up until an hour and
half after someone has finished reading the Ten O'clock news.

By which time her husband is home.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 10th 20, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2020 13:16, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:55:01 on Sun, 10 May 2020,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Many people spend (spent!) two to three hours a day commuting.
Not as many as you probably think. See the transport survey I've
cited.

Probably just as many as I think.

What's the percentage you have in mind?

For London, quite high.

As I said elsewhere the whole thing's an exercise in misreporting of
statistics

Roland's referenced item says that we make approx 1000 trips per year
travelling 7,000 miles, so that's 7 miles per trip (god knows where the oft
quoted 3 miles come from)

But it further says that:
61% of trips, 77% of distance is by car
27% of trips, 3% of distance by walking
2% of trip but 9% of distance by train

(negligible numbers by other modes)

So even without further figures, it should be obvious to anyone with a
degree in anything approaching a sensible subject that:

car and train journeys are disproportionately long

most trips at the shorter end of the scale are already done by walking

The possibility of modal change from car/train to walking, is therefore
negligible

tim

Old May 10th 20, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:24:08 on Sun, 10 May
2020, Graeme Wall remarked:
On 10/05/2020 13:16, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:55:01 on Sun, 10 May
2020, Graeme Wall remarked:

Many people spend (spent!) two to three hours a day commuting.
*Not as many as you probably think. See the transport survey I've cited.

Probably just as many as I think.

What's the percentage you have in mind?

For London, quite high.

OK, so quote what you had in mind for that, if you don't have anything
in mind for the national average (which we can then look up for
comparison).

[And remember, for a true comparison, we would need people living within
six miles of Oxford Circus too, but that's not a figure that will easily
come to hand]

What do you suggest she should be doing instead ?
*She has a husband and three youngish children for starters,
which is* going to keep all of them busy.

On £200k she can afford a nanny.

*Which few people can, and part of the reason why her behaviour
isn't a* good aspirational model for the rest of society which can't.

Tall poppy syndrome.

It's nothing to do with disparaging what she's achieved, just the
practical situation that employing a nanny is likely to cost more than
the average wage-earner's disposable income. I employed nannies for
about eight years, so I know a bit about the logistics.
Including that not many of them will want to stay up until an hour
and half after someone has finished reading the Ten O'clock news.

By which time her husband is home.

Maybe his work pattern needs a nanny just as much as hers. Or are we
adding yet another outlier "everyone can jog to work like that as long
as you have a nanny *and* a house husband".
Old May 10th 20, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:51:15 on Sun, 10 May
2020, tim... remarked:
[...]

That's not the question. It's how many people spend 2-3hrs a day
commuting.
Old May 11th 20, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 May 2020 21:36:36 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
michael adams wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Sat, 9 May 2020 17:16:40 +0100

"michael adams" wrote:

Thanks. Although with everything closed, presumably, it would probably
be quite frustrating walking around with nowhere to go except maybe
the odd supermarket. Maybe Sainsburys on TCR or Tesco in Googe St
frinstance.

I was taking pictures of the lockdown plus having an nice walk through the
backstreets of the west end and mayfair.

What *would* be useful at any time, would be the ability to take
pictures of streets, buildings, etc. without the intrusive presence
of parked cars everywhere. Along with too much street furniture, about
which nothing can be done of course. Traffic (and pedestrians) can be
largely avoided by starting at 5.a.m. in summer time; although that
then presents the problem of having all the trees in full leaf.

Sophie Raworth, the newsreader, is a keen runner, and often commutes to the
BBC that way. During the lockdown, she's been varying her six mile route
to pass through unusually empty areas at lunchtime, and has been taking
photos:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-52155029

Looking at the locations she's photo'd I think she's been taking a rather
convoluted route to work as AFAIK she lives in west london. Not sure how
Kings Cross comes into a running commute to the BBC. Not that I blame her but
it does grate a bit when all the virtue signalling presenters up there have
been repeating the stay at home propaganda ad nauseaum for months.

Old May 11th 20, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 May 2020 22:20:23 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Sat, 9 May 2020 17:16:40 +0100

"michael adams" wrote:

Thanks. Although with everything closed, presumably, it would probably
be quite frustrating walking around with nowhere to go except maybe
the odd supermarket. Maybe Sainsburys on TCR or Tesco in Googe St
frinstance.

I was taking pictures of the lockdown plus having an nice walk through the
backstreets of the west end and mayfair.

What *would* be useful at any time, would be the ability to take
pictures of streets, buildings, etc. without the intrusive presence
of parked cars everywhere. Along with too much street furniture, about
which nothing can be done of course. Traffic (and pedestrians) can be
largely avoided by starting at 5.a.m. in summer time; although that
then presents the problem of having all the trees in full leaf.

I'd be very surprised if a number of film companies haven't sent some
cameramen out to surreptitiously take some stock footage videos of the empty
streets for future films.

Old May 11th 20, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 May 2020 08:34:40 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Sat, 9 May 2020 16:53:25 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message
He's spot on.

"Itâ?Ts time to ask whether Boris Johnson is up to the job"

putting the presentation to one side, Parris appears to be arguing that
the
policy is wrong

but is there really any mainstream opinion that anything except another
three weeks of lockdown is the only sensible policy here, starting from
where we are?

Sweden.

I meant within the UK

are there any voices suggesting that, starting from where we are, there is
any workable alternative to three more weeks (with slight tinkering
perhaps)?

Of course there is - if Boris and his team could find a collective pair of
******** this lockdown nonsense could be ended tommorow. This situation is
now entirely self inflicted.

And stricter lockdowns in spain, italy and france have had next to
no impact on infection rate per head of population. Its pretty obvious
from
anyone who cares to engage brain that the only thing a lockdown is doing
is
sending us into an economic abyss we may not recover from for a decade or
longer and in the meantime there will be a lot of seriously unhappy
unemployed
out on the streets once lockdown is lifted.

but no-one is saying that

except you

Plenty of commentators have been discussion the economic future of this
country and the rest of the world. Perhaps you should read a bit more. As
for civil unrest - france had serious riots last month which went unreported
over here since obviously the childish narrative that everyone is coping
fine in the lockdown couldn't be shown up for what it is.

Old May 11th 20, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 May 2020 08:46:44 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 10/05/2020 00:06, michael adams wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

wrote in message

On Sat, 9 May 2020 17:16:40 +0100

"michael adams" wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

5.a.m. stillness, but in the middle of the day. And in Central London.

Plus the possibility of encountering Sophie Raworth, or Boltar, coming the

other way.

Not sure which one scares me more!

Sophie Raworth is rather cute IMO if a little bit too headgirl-ish for my
tastes.

Old May 11th 20, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Sat, 9 May 2020 21:36:36 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
michael adams wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Sat, 9 May 2020 17:16:40 +0100

"michael adams" wrote:

[...]

Does she? I assumed she lived in south London, as she also mentions
Waterloo.

Not sure how
Kings Cross comes into a running commute to the BBC. Not that I blame her but
it does grate a bit when all the virtue signalling presenters up there have
been repeating the stay at home propaganda ad nauseaum for months.

She has to commute to work anyway, and this is probably the safest,
healthiest way to do so right now.

Old May 11th 20, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 May 2020 09:35:22 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 9 May 2020 21:36:36 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
michael adams wrote:

wrote in message

On Sat, 9 May 2020 17:16:40 +0100

"michael adams" wrote:

[...]

I distinctly remember reading she lived in Chiswick. But even if she does
live in south london, you wouldn't go via Kings X to get to oxford circus
where the BBC is.

it does grate a bit when all the virtue signalling presenters up there have
been repeating the stay at home propaganda ad nauseaum for months.

She has to commute to work anyway, and this is probably the safest,
healthiest way to do so right now.

Possibly, depending how healthy one views running as. Personally I don't think
the risks to the knees are worth it hence I cycle instead.