Old May 9th 20, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Nice empty tube

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 8 May 2020 20:05:57 +0100
Bryan Morris wrote:
So yes, Recliner, I'm ****ed off how Usenet has become and political
point scoring about those cruel Tories not supporting care homes.

Rant over for the moment

I think the reason for a lot of it is that politicians have become a lot
like CEOs - they come out with a lot of fancy words with little to back
them
up and are quite happy to take the plaudits for when things go right, but
when things go wrong suddenly its all someone elses fault. That gets up a
lot
of peoples noses. If you need an example look how Boris & Co were making a
big deal about that PPE from Turkey, yet when it turned out to be faulty
(how
the f**k can you screw up making a simple gown?) there were lots of umms
and
ahhs and no one taking the blame for not ordering it to be checked before
it
left turkey.

The practicalities of the situation (not being able to travel) caused it not
to be checked before shipping

There doesn't really seem an obvious solution to that

The (soluble) problem was was probably that we didn't make sure that the
supplier understood that he needed to make the product out of the correct
grade of material and had access to same.

FWIW, I suspect that large parts of the world do not have such stringent
requirements here, as the developed world does. Gowns made from (some grade
of) normal clothing fabric are probably considered acceptable (50%
protection is always better than zero). Thus manufactures in these countries
(which encompasses the countries that we go to for cheap quick, throw away,
clothing) probably think that it's perfectly acceptable to make them that
way too.

So that's what they did

Happy for someone to provide evidence (not hyperbole) that I'm wrong

tim

Old May 9th 20, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:03:55 on Fri, 8 May 2020,
Roland Perry remarked:
In message , at 14:47:15 on Fri, 8 May
2020, Bryan Morris remarked:

millions of people who were children during WW II would remember what it
was all about, who lost fathers and mothers, who had members of their
families in the armed forces, who remember VE day celebrations, who
remember being bombed or spending nights in shelters.

Anyone who was 12 in 1945 would be fully up to speed with the situation.
So that's 87 or older. Many who were younger than that.

BBC's poster child on the evening news was a lady who was 8yrs old on VE
day.

I was 8 when England won the world cup

I can remember watching the game, but cannot recollect why I was in front of
the TV doing this

I can recall no celebrations afterwards

(were there any)

But it stuck in my memory for some reason

make of that what you wish

tim

Old May 9th 20, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:03:55 on Fri, 8 May 2020,
Roland Perry remarked:
In message , at 14:47:15 on Fri, 8 May
2020, Bryan Morris remarked:

millions of people who were children during WW II would remember what
it was all about, who lost fathers and mothers, who had members of
their families in the armed forces, who remember VE day celebrations,
who remember being bombed or spending nights in shelters.

Anyone who was 12 in 1945 would be fully up to speed with the
situation. So that's 87 or older. Many who were younger than that.

BBC's poster child on the evening news was a lady who was 8yrs old on VE
day.

I can certainly remember heck of a lot things about my surroundings from
when I was about 7 and the odd thing earlier. What I don’t recall is the
political, social reasons for things being what they were.
Eg I remember trolleybuses in London stopping but wasn’t interested or
recall asking explanation why,
I still have a vivid recollection of being taken in primary school class
to the edge of the Great West Road to see President Eisenhower sweep past,
only in later years did I learn who he was and his place in history .
Things just happen when you are a child and you remember them but don’t get
involved often in the reasons why they happen.

GH

Old May 9th 20, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:05:00 on Sat, 9 May
2020, Marland remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:03:55 on Fri, 8 May 2020,
Roland Perry remarked:
In message , at 14:47:15 on Fri, 8 May
2020, Bryan Morris remarked:

millions of people who were children during WW II would remember what
it was all about, who lost fathers and mothers, who had members of
their families in the armed forces, who remember VE day celebrations,
who remember being bombed or spending nights in shelters.

Anyone who was 12 in 1945 would be fully up to speed with the
situation. So that's 87 or older. Many who were younger than that.

BBC's poster child on the evening news was a lady who was 8yrs old on VE
day.

I can certainly remember heck of a lot things about my surroundings from
when I was about 7 and the odd thing earlier.

I remember everything back to when I was four. But nothing before that.
Perhaps the kerfuffle of moving house at that age acted as a firewall?

What I don’t recall is the political, social reasons for things being
what they were.
Eg I remember trolleybuses in London stopping but wasn’t interested or
recall asking explanation why,
I still have a vivid recollection of being taken in primary school class
to the edge of the Great West Road to see President Eisenhower sweep past,
only in later years did I learn who he was and his place in history .
Things just happen when you are a child and you remember them but don’t get
involved often in the reasons why they happen.

That didn't seem to apply to the lady on the news last night; perhaps
the unique circumstances of the blitz meant people were more aware of
their surroundings, and why things were happening?
Old May 9th 20, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

[...]

I was older at 11 and didn’t have much interest in football but recall the
mascot of the time World Cup Willie ( which sounds like it should be a STD
)everywhere .We hadn’t long moved to the West Country and I got invited
to be part of a group of youngsters who then became the “winning team “
on a Carnival float where I was told I would play the part of Alan Ball.
TBH I wasn’t that enthralled about the experience but it was made tolerable
as the floats and Carnival were assembled in the vicinity of a still
active Halwill Junction though it only had a few more weeks before the Bude
and North Cornwall line to Padstow closed ,the Torrington one had already
gone and the passing trains held my interest more than .
It was soon after then I got to realise that closed when used in reference
to Railways was a permanent thing ,before when I had heard the adults say
the the railway was going to be close I thought it would be like a shop and
open again later.

GH

Old May 9th 20, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/05/2020 13:05, Marland wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I can just remember seeing trams (strictly, a tram) in London, I can't
have been more than 3 years old.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 9th 20, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I can beat that. I hazily remembered being in my pram with hills all
around, going down.

Years later I happened to mention it when an aunt was present. She
remembered it.

Apparently we went to Wales when I was maybe a year/ 18 months old, my
aunt was pushing me in a pram in a village in the Welsh valleys. Going
down a hill she was terrified she would lose her grip on the pram or
fall down and it would roll down the hill.

I assume I could sense her fear and I always remembered it.
--
Bryan Morris
Old May 9th 20, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

BBC's poster child on the evening news was a lady who was 8yrs old on VE day.

Don't despair.

It's only another 11 years to the 75th anniversary of Suez.

If you spend a bit of time hanging around outside New Broadcasting House
in June 2031, you may get the chance to be a poster child too.

michael adams