Old May 9th 20, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Nice empty tube

On Sat, 9 May 2020 11:53:10 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/05/2020 11:51, wrote:
On Sat, 9 May 2020 10:18:50 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Some, like Raab and Hancock, are simply over-promoted, but might grow into
the job; others, like Patel and Williamson, shouldn't be in the Cabinet at

Patel shouldn't even be an MP, never mind home secretary with her

temperament
and lack of ability.

She fulfills the basic requirements for the post, she's no threat to Boris.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ontrol-of-the-
cockpit-25t0tw7ck?shareToken=6b18d3fb6b6d01ff91914c0ed6fb7 92e

He's spot on.

"It’s time to ask whether Boris Johnson is up to the job"

I think we all know the answer to that. He's not quite as bad as Theresa May
but he's no Churchill as some more deluded journos liked to portray him. He's
not even a John Major - at least the latter knew his own mind even if most
decisions he made were usually wrong.

Old May 9th 20, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 May 2020 12:24:59 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Fri, 8 May 2020 20:05:57 +0100
Bryan Morris wrote:
So yes, Recliner, I'm ****ed off how Usenet has become and political
point scoring about those cruel Tories not supporting care homes.

Rant over for the moment

I think the reason for a lot of it is that politicians have become a lot
like CEOs - they come out with a lot of fancy words with little to back
them
up and are quite happy to take the plaudits for when things go right, but
when things go wrong suddenly its all someone elses fault. That gets up a
lot
of peoples noses. If you need an example look how Boris & Co were making a
big deal about that PPE from Turkey, yet when it turned out to be faulty
(how
the f**k can you screw up making a simple gown?) there were lots of umms
and
ahhs and no one taking the blame for not ordering it to be checked before
it
left turkey.

The practicalities of the situation (not being able to travel) caused it not
to be checked before shipping

There doesn't really seem an obvious solution to that

The (soluble) problem was was probably that we didn't make sure that the
supplier understood that he needed to make the product out of the correct
grade of material and had access to same.

FWIW, I suspect that large parts of the world do not have such stringent
requirements here, as the developed world does. Gowns made from (some grade
of) normal clothing fabric are probably considered acceptable (50%
protection is always better than zero). Thus manufactures in these countries
(which encompasses the countries that we go to for cheap quick, throw away,
clothing) probably think that it's perfectly acceptable to make them that
way too.

I suspect a lot of NHS workers would prefer to take their chances with these
gowns that have 2nd hand ones or none at all.

Old May 9th 20, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message ...
On Sat, 9 May 2020 12:24:59 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message
On Fri, 8 May 2020 20:05:57 +0100
Bryan Morris wrote:
[...]

they might

the unions and the local press OTOH ...

tim

Old May 9th 20, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:

Anyone who was 12 in 1945 would be fully up to speed with the
situation. So that's 87 or older. Many who were younger than that.

BBC's poster child on the evening news was a lady who was 8yrs old on VE
day.

I can certainly remember heck of a lot things about my surroundings from
when I was about 7 and the odd thing earlier. What I don’t recall is the
political, social reasons for things being what they were.
Eg I remember trolleybuses in London stopping but wasn’t interested or
recall asking explanation why,

I can just remember seeing trams (strictly, a tram) in London, I can't
have been more than 3 years old.

I do have recollections of certain events when I was around that age and
one which must have occurred when I was even younger, one was when I threw
an Umbrella that Mother had hung on my pushchair into Chiswick High Road
and before she could secure the chair and retrieve it a car stopped
and the woman passenger picked it up and sped away. It must be the
unusualness of such events compared to the more mundane that make them
stick though I do remember a lot about our trips out to Kent and Sussex
undertaken in an Austin 7 when I was small but there are annoying gaps, we
occasionally crossed a railway line with a level crossing with no gates
which seemed unusual and once actually saw a train so I think it must have
been part of Kent and East Sussex before it closed
Rye was a regular destination and we used a floating tea shop in an old
boat, I’d love to find out what it was actually called and when it was
removed. My natural father died soon after I was 6 so a lot of the
information he would have been able to fill in on such things went with
him.

GH

Old May 9th 20, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Some, like Raab and Hancock, are simply over-promoted, but might grow into
the job; others, like Patel and Williamson, shouldn't be in the Cabinet at

Patel shouldn't even be an MP, never mind home secretary with her

temperament
and lack of ability.

She fulfills the basic requirements for the post, she's no threat to Boris.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ontrol-of-the-
cockpit-25t0tw7ck?shareToken=6b18d3fb6b6d01ff91914c0ed6fb7 92e

He's spot on.

"It’s time to ask whether Boris Johnson is up to the job"

I think we all know the answer to that. He's not quite as bad as Theresa May
but he's no Churchill as some more deluded journos liked to portray him.

The main such journo being one Boris Johnson.

Old May 9th 20, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Some, like Raab and Hancock, are simply over-promoted, but might grow
into
the job; others, like Patel and Williamson, shouldn't be in the
Cabinet at

Patel shouldn't even be an MP, never mind home secretary with her

temperament
and lack of ability.

She fulfills the basic requirements for the post, she's no threat to
Boris.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ontrol-of-the-
cockpit-25t0tw7ck?shareToken=6b18d3fb6b6d01ff91914c0ed6fb7 92e

He's spot on.

"Itâ?Ts time to ask whether Boris Johnson is up to the job"

putting the presentation to one side, Parris appears to be arguing that the
policy is wrong

but is there really any mainstream opinion that anything except another
three weeks of lockdown is the only sensible policy here, starting from
where we are?

(I agree that we should have done things differently 8 weeks ago so as not
to be where we are. But we only know that if you have a professor of
hindsight advising you!)

tim

Old May 9th 20, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 May 2020 16:53:25 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
He's spot on.

"Itâ?Ts time to ask whether Boris Johnson is up to the job"

putting the presentation to one side, Parris appears to be arguing that the
policy is wrong

but is there really any mainstream opinion that anything except another
three weeks of lockdown is the only sensible policy here, starting from
where we are?

Sweden. And stricter lockdowns in spain, italy and france have had next to
no impact on infection rate per head of population. Its pretty obvious from
anyone who cares to engage brain that the only thing a lockdown is doing is
sending us into an economic abyss we may not recover from for a decade or
longer and in the meantime there will be a lot of seriously unhappy unemployed
out on the streets once lockdown is lifted.

Old May 9th 20, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/05/2020 16:35, wrote:
On Sat, 9 May 2020 11:53:10 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Some, like Raab and Hancock, are simply over-promoted, but might grow into
the job; others, like Patel and Williamson, shouldn't be in the Cabinet at

Patel shouldn't even be an MP, never mind home secretary with her

temperament
and lack of ability.

She fulfills the basic requirements for the post, she's no threat to Boris.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ontrol-of-the-
cockpit-25t0tw7ck?shareToken=6b18d3fb6b6d01ff91914c0ed6fb7 92e

He's spot on.

"It’s time to ask whether Boris Johnson is up to the job"

I think we all know the answer to that. He's not quite as bad as Theresa May
but he's no Churchill as some more deluded journos liked to portray him. He's
not even a John Major - at least the latter knew his own mind even if most
decisions he made were usually wrong.

r some reason I am seeing your posts in this thread, but not Recliners.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 9th 20, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 8 May 2020 19:27:00 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

That's all very interesting I'm sure. However I was merely pointing out that
whether or not the carriages were nice and empty as they were in your case,
would presumably depend on the time of day your journey was made. So that
without any such information, your otherwise helpful suggestion that others
might care to follow your example, is of very little use I'm afraid.

I went into town about 12.30 and came back around 2.30. At one point I
literally had an entire piccadilly line train to myself apart from the driver.
It was quite bizarre.

Thanks. Although with everything closed, presumably, it would probably
be quite frustrating walking around with nowhere to go except maybe
the odd supermarket. Maybe Sainsburys on TCR or Tesco in Googe St
frinstance.

michael adams

Old May 9th 20, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/05/2020 16:32, michael adams wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

BBC's poster child on the evening news was a lady who was 8yrs old on VE day.

Don't despair.

It's only another 11 years to the 75th anniversary of Suez.

Who is going to want to commemorate our defeat by the Americans?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.