Old May 22nd 20, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 17:35:57 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 21/05/2020 10:01, wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:10:48 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
The number of new cases in London has now fallen to zero in a 24-hour
period:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...res-decline-ph

e-a4446336.html

and yet, there will be no regional variation in the rules

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...es-regional-va

riation-easing-lockdown-covid/

Given the spinelessness evident at #10 there'll probably be no variation in
the rules for weeks even though other EU countries are now all easing
restrictions far more than us. What did we do to deserve an ineffectual
blustering muppet like Boris in charge at a time like this?

You voted for him.

I suspect most people didn't vote for Boris, they voted against Corbyn. I had
no illusions about Boris being useless - he was mayor here for 8 years and
achieved bugger all in that time except some overpriced badly designed buses
and closing tube ticket offices against advice - but he was a lot less risky
proposition than the marxist or the arrogant Jo Swinson.

You do our great leader a disservice: have you forgotten the magnificent
Garden Bridge that nestles beside Waterloo Bridge? Or the ultimate place
to practise social isolation even in normal times, the Thames cable cars
from nowhere to nowhere? Then there's the water cannons that have so
successfully improved policing in London, at so little cost. And I'm sure
even you would enjoy flying from our new Borisport bird sanctuary airport
in the Thames estuary?

Old May 22nd 20, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 May 2020 09:24:59 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I suspect most people didn't vote for Boris, they voted against Corbyn. I

had
no illusions about Boris being useless - he was mayor here for 8 years and
achieved bugger all in that time except some overpriced badly designed buses
and closing tube ticket offices against advice - but he was a lot less risky

proposition than the marxist or the arrogant Jo Swinson.

You do our great leader a disservice: have you forgotten the magnificent
Garden Bridge that nestles beside Waterloo Bridge? Or the ultimate place

Ah yes, silly me. Still, a lot of planners and designers had a nice xmas
bonus that year on the money spent.

to practise social isolation even in normal times, the Thames cable cars
from nowhere to nowhere? Then there's the water cannons that have so
successfully improved policing in London, at so little cost. And I'm sure

The Dangleway is popular with Tourists! The ones who forgot to get off the
Thames Clipper at Greenwich and ended up at north greenwich by mistake anyway.

The water cannon I will give him a bit - Theresa May was just being a bloody
minded imbecile not allowing them as a last resort given they're already legal
in northern ireland (along with sidearms incidentaly which is never mentioned
when the arm-the-police argument rears its head once a year). But then she
is the perfect example of **** floating to the top.

Old May 22nd 20, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/05/2020 09:42, wrote:
"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
The number of new cases in London has now fallen to zero in a 24-hour
period:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...res-decline-ph

e-a4446336.html

and yet, there will be no regional variation in the rules

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...es-regional-va

riation-easing-lockdown-covid/

Given the spinelessness evident at #10 there'll probably be no variation in
the rules for weeks even though other EU countries are now all easing
restrictions far more than us. What did we do to deserve an ineffectual
blustering muppet like Boris in charge at a time like this?

He's changed a lot since his near-death experience. He was previously a
gung-ho risk-taker, but is now a timid, cautious character, at least in
this respect. Being a new father (yet again) probably also makes him a lot
more cautious.

Thats probably true, but he needs to snap out of it and realise the policies
are now doing far more damage than the virus. There was some (probably
exaggerated) figure of 7 million doctor and hospital appointments backlog.
Even if its only 1 million thats a lot of people with potentially serious
problems not having them sorted. And god knows how many cancer patients are
or will soon be dead due to the NHS focusing on covid.

Interestingly I've just had three reinstated appointments this week.
Mind you they are for November!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 22nd 20, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
[...]

but what can he do if the unions (and apparently loads of parents) are
against this plan

people can't go back to work unless they can send their kids to school and
commute on the train

and the unions are doing their best to block those two things

Old May 22nd 20, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
[...]

though that latter items doesn't appear to have been the disaster it was
predicted to be.

Old May 22nd 20, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
[...]

True. Both Ken and Boris initially wanted to keep them open, then changed
their minds, and as you say, it's worked out OK.

Old May 23rd 20, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
He's changed a lot since his near-death experience. He was previously a
gung-ho risk-taker, but is now a timid, cautious character, at least in
this respect. Being a new father (yet again) probably also makes him a lot
more cautious.

Thats probably true, but he needs to snap out of it and realise the
policies
are now doing far more damage than the virus. There was some (probably
exaggerated) figure of 7 million doctor and hospital appointments backlog.
Even if its only 1 million thats a lot of people with potentially serious
problems not having them sorted. And god knows how many cancer patients
are
or will soon be dead due to the NHS focusing on covid.

but what can he do if the unions (and apparently loads of parents) are
against this plan

The unions are just sabre rattling and will soon settle down. And I'm a parent
and I have no problem with my child going back to school. If others do then
thats fine by me - smaller class sizes.

people can't go back to work unless they can send their kids to school and
commute on the train

and the unions are doing their best to block those two things

Any government with a working pair of ******** (which rules out the current one)
could enact emergency legislation at a time like this to put the unions
back in their box by making striking illegal for X months and shutting down
any union that proposes it.

Old May 23rd 20, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 May 2020 20:30:06 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:

"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
[...]

Not a disaster, but go to somewhere like oxford street or victoria during
normal times and there'll be a queue of confused tourists waiting to speak
to whichever station worker drew the short straw that morning to be
Mr Information. There's still the same number of staff except now with some
unused office space. What has it achieved?

Old May 23rd 20, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
[...]

refusing to go to work because your workplace is "unsafe" under H&S regs, is
not legally "a strike"

Old May 23rd 20, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
[...]

who would have previously been in the long queue for the counter staff

what's the difference here?

There's still the same number of staff except now with some
unused office space. What has it achieved?

the opportunity to make a different use of that office space in the future