Old May 23rd 20, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2020 20:30:06 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
tim... wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 17:35:57 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 21/05/2020 10:01, wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:10:48 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
The number of new cases in London has now fallen to zero in a 24-hour
period:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...res-decline-ph

e-a4446336.html

and yet, there will be no regional variation in the rules

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...es-regional-va

riation-easing-lockdown-covid/

Given the spinelessness evident at #10 there'll probably be no variation
in
the rules for weeks even though other EU countries are now all easing
restrictions far more than us. What did we do to deserve an ineffectual
blustering muppet like Boris in charge at a time like this?

You voted for him.

I suspect most people didn't vote for Boris, they voted against Corbyn. I
had
no illusions about Boris being useless - he was mayor here for 8 years and
achieved bugger all in that time except some overpriced badly designed
buses
and closing tube ticket offices against advice

though that latter items doesn't appear to have been the disaster it was
predicted to be.

True. Both Ken and Boris initially wanted to keep them open, then changed
their minds, and as you say, it's worked out OK.

Not a disaster, but go to somewhere like oxford street or victoria during
normal times and there'll be a queue of confused tourists waiting to speak
to whichever station worker drew the short straw that morning to be
Mr Information. There's still the same number of staff except now with some
unused office space. What has it achieved?

I think they now have significantly fewer staff on duty, particularly away
from the dozen or so tourist and visitor hotspots.

Old May 23rd 20, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 May 2020 10:13:16 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Fri, 22 May 2020 18:27:02 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message
On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:55:52 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
He's changed a lot since his near-death experience. He was previously a
gung-ho risk-taker, but is now a timid, cautious character, at least in
this respect. Being a new father (yet again) probably also makes him a
lot
more cautious.

Thats probably true, but he needs to snap out of it and realise the
policies
are now doing far more damage than the virus. There was some (probably
exaggerated) figure of 7 million doctor and hospital appointments
backlog.
Even if its only 1 million thats a lot of people with potentially
serious
problems not having them sorted. And god knows how many cancer patients
are
or will soon be dead due to the NHS focusing on covid.

but what can he do if the unions (and apparently loads of parents) are
against this plan

The unions are just sabre rattling and will soon settle down. And I'm a
parent
and I have no problem with my child going back to school. If others do
then
thats fine by me - smaller class sizes.

people can't go back to work unless they can send their kids to school and
commute on the train

and the unions are doing their best to block those two things

Any government with a working pair of ******** (which rules out the
current one)
could enact emergency legislation at a time like this to put the unions
back in their box by making striking illegal for X months and shutting
down
any union that proposes it.

refusing to go to work because your workplace is "unsafe" under H&S regs, is
not legally "a strike"

Except its not unsafe if you believe the scientists. The unions were more
than happy to believe them when they said we needed a lockdown, yet for some
strange reason I can't quite fathom they decide not to believe them when it
means their members may have to go back to actually doing some work.

Old May 23rd 20, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...gures-decline-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ules-regional-

[...]

who would have previously been in the long queue for the counter staff

what's the difference here?

I don't know about you, but I tend to have more information available to me
in a more convenient manner when sitting at a desk than when walking around
trying to poke a tiny smartphone screen. Plus staff behind a window can't be
assaulted.

There's still the same number of staff except now with some
unused office space. What has it achieved?

the opportunity to make a different use of that office space in the future

Its been quite a few years and nothing has happened yet.

Old May 23rd 20, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
[...]

Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.

Old May 23rd 20, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23/05/2020 09:54, wrote:

Any government with a working pair of ******** (which rules out the current one)
could enact emergency legislation at a time like this to put the unions
back in their box by making striking illegal for X months and shutting down
any union that proposes it.

Wouldn't that risk turning into more of a politician with one bollock
approach?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old May 23rd 20, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:49:46 on Sat, 23 May
2020, Recliner remarked:

Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.

Which in my experience is, for teachers, overwhelmingly not on public
transport. Apart from anything else it's not reliable enough to
guarantee to get you for 8.30am, not a minute later.

Also, many bus routes avoid schools before 9am, because they don't want
the hassle of kids on stage buses (yes, I've discussed this specific
issue with a bus company when writing a school's transport policy).
Old May 23rd 20, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
[...]

The one thing that would guarantee Mr Cash's wet dream of a general strike.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 23rd 20, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 May 2020 11:54:32 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 09:49:46 on Sat, 23 May
2020, Recliner remarked:

Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.

Which in my experience is, for teachers, overwhelmingly not on public
transport. Apart from anything else it's not reliable enough to
guarantee to get you for 8.30am, not a minute later.

Also, many bus routes avoid schools before 9am, because they don't want
the hassle of kids on stage buses (yes, I've discussed this specific
issue with a bus company when writing a school's transport policy).

Yes, I was thinking of the dangers of the drive to work.
Old May 23rd 20, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:12:04 on
Sat, 23 May 2020, Recliner remarked:

Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.

Which in my experience is, for teachers, overwhelmingly not on public
transport. Apart from anything else it's not reliable enough to
guarantee to get you for 8.30am, not a minute later.

Also, many bus routes avoid schools before 9am, because they don't want
the hassle of kids on stage buses (yes, I've discussed this specific
issue with a bus company when writing a school's transport policy).

Yes, I was thinking of the dangers of the drive to work.

Apart from the fact lots of people are driving with their eyes shut
because they apparently expect exclusive use of deserted roads, what's
the risk you allude to?
Old May 23rd 20, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 May 2020 13:27:34 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 13:12:04 on
[...]

Just the normal risks of the road, nothing special. In other words,
their risks of catching covid-19 are no worse than the risks of
everyday life.