Old June 7th 20, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New Freedom pass peak hour restriction

On 06/06/2020 23:20, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 06/06/2020 21:59, Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

… along with London's night economy which it serves. For obvious reasons,
I've not been in a town centre at night lately, but it must be weirdly
empty, with all pubs, restaurants, theatres, clubs, etc closed.

It's like that in the daytime as well. Every time I go food shopping
it's like Sunday in the 1960's, very depressing. I just wonder how many
of the closed shops will reopen, there were enough empty ones along most
of the main streets here before all this started, I dread to think how
many will be like that once they are allowed to reopen.æ

In the day, you have the queues along the pavements or through the car
parks to enter the open shops, pharmacies, supermarkets, bank branches,
etc. Sometimes the queues for different shops overlap, needing to be
choreographed (the really bizarre ones snake through the Ikea car parks,
Disneyland-style).

So, oddly enough, there are quite a few people on the streets, even if most
are, in your favourite phrase, socially distanced. But we need a new
etiquette for whether/when to keep silent or talk to the next person 2m
behind in the slowly-moving queue. In London, silence usually rules, but
I'd expect more chatting in friendly places like Liverpool or Newcastle.

No queuing outside the high street shops here, although there was when
we attempted to buy a new loo seat at B&Q. One look and we decided it
could wait until another day...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 7th 20, 05:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/06/2020 09:11, tim... wrote:

I try and go at a time that I don't have to Q

9am works pretty well

It might for you, but I don't surface until well after that..! Mornings
are ignored as much as possible in this household..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 7th 20, 05:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

[...]

Toolstation and Screwfix are click and collect at the door although I
don't know if they specifically flog loo seats.

Old June 7th 20, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 22:05:52 +0100, Clive Page wrote:

On 05/06/2020 18:28, Certes wrote:
It's a long-standing oddity that on Fridays the national bus pass is not valid between 11pm and midnight (after midnight of course it's Saturday with no time restrictions).

...whilst presumably you have to be home by midnight on a Sunday?* I
wonder whether the "day" used by the checking driver or machine really
changes at 24:00 or at end of service/transition to night buses.

Some time ago I got on a bus at around 23:15 on a Friday night (I was delayed on another route) and half expected to have to pay, and indeed my bus pass didn't work the machine, but the driver said something to the effect of "don't worry about it" and waved me through. There are so few local buses (outside London) that run after midnight that I haven't been able to check whether it would have worked after midnight. But it certainly works quite early on Saturday mornings.

With London Buses that can be a standard scenario if the driver's
terminal has packed up. The bus still completes its journey,
presumably picking up another machine when it passes an appropriate
garage/office.
Old June 7th 20, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 10:21:47 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

… along with London's night economy which it serves. For obvious
reasons,
I've not been in a town centre at night lately, but it must be weirdly
empty, with all pubs, restaurants, theatres, clubs, etc closed.

I was surprised to see one of the burger vans back in the centre of
Bristol
at 3am this week.

Night tube has apparently been losing huge amounts of money since it
began,
so I suspect that it won't return any time soon.

Ah, I didn't know that. They kept on putting out bullish statements on
how
well it was doing, and now popular it's becoming, but not anything on
the
finances. You probably have to dig deep into TfL's financial reports to
see
an analysis of Night Tube numbers, if they're published at all.

ISTM that once every 10 minutes (if my Google result was correct - I
can't
look up current schedules) is far too frequent

even busses, which carry far smaller numbers usually only run ever 30
minutes on each route

So surely every 30 minutes is frequent enough for the tube as well

Try that about 04.00 on the Jubilee Line from London to Stanmore and
you won't achieve social distancing if the usual passengers are
present.

a 25 minute wait at 2am is nothing compared to the previous wait of 5
hours
on a Sat night/Sun Morning

IME that can often be a normal waiting time on the Piccadilly Line
around 03.00. The service seems very random compared with the Jubilee
and Northern Lines.

They cut the night bus service back on routes that paralled the Night Tube

how does that work, given that night busses operate 7 days a week

and the tube 2 days a week

Many LB night buses only operate at weekends (e.g. 140, 183) and not
always on all or exactly the same route. The one near me that is 7
days/week (N98) does parallel some of the Jubilee Line.
snip

Old June 7th 20, 06:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

[...]

Screwfix do with a Henry Ford style range of colours (mostly white,
some black, one oak, one mahogany-veneered MDF).
Old June 8th 20, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

[...]

if the trains are full and overloaded, why is it making a loss?

I don't have a problem with providing a service that matches demand

I was just saying that it the trains are running around carrying fresh air
(a reasonable assumption after a claim that they are loss making), there
should be fewer of them

a 25 minute wait at 2am is nothing compared to the previous wait of 5
hours
on a Sat night/Sun Morning

IME that can often be a normal waiting time on the Piccadilly Line
around 03.00. The service seems very random compared with the Jubilee
and Northern Lines.

They cut the night bus service back on routes that paralled the Night
Tube

how does that work, given that night busses operate 7 days a week

and the tube 2 days a week

Many LB night buses only operate at weekends (e.g. 140, 183)

IME it's not "many"

Round here, of about 20 routes which operate night services only 2 are
weekend only

and I would guess that nearer the centre, the ratio is even smaller

tim

Old June 8th 20, 08:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 10:30:56 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Certes wrote:
On 06/06/2020 10:18, Recliner wrote:
One reason is that evolutionary pressures makes the virus less lethal.
After all, for the virus to survive and thrive, its hosts also needs to
stay well enough to mix with other potential hosts. If a lethal strain of
the virus immediately makes infected hosts ill, and kills many of them, the
virus can't spread. Conversely, if it mutates to cause minimal symptoms, it
will spread widely. So, benign mutations are more successful than lethal
ones.

If we're really lucky, hosts of the benign variant may develop immunity
to the original versions, providing us with a free vaccine.

Yes, that may be part of why pandemics are short-lived. If the benign
version spreads widely, as it's evolved to do, it could mean that the whole
population develops some level of immunity to its nastier cousins.

The alternative method of pandemics stopping is that it kills everyone who
is susceptable. Which is why the black death disappeared for hundreds of
years at a time them came back when genetic immunity had been lost. We're
rather overdue for another dose though cleaner living since the 20th
century in the west and antibiotics has probably done for that particular
disease.

Old June 8th 20, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 08:33:57 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

[...]

Does the Underground make a profit ?

I don't have a problem with providing a service that matches demand

I was just saying that it the trains are running around carrying fresh air

Lots do in normal times.

(a reasonable assumption after a claim that they are loss making),

Is it ?

there should be fewer of them

a 25 minute wait at 2am is nothing compared to the previous wait of 5
hours
on a Sat night/Sun Morning

IME that can often be a normal waiting time on the Piccadilly Line
around 03.00. The service seems very random compared with the Jubilee
and Northern Lines.

They cut the night bus service back on routes that paralled the Night
Tube

how does that work, given that night busses operate 7 days a week

and the tube 2 days a week

Many LB night buses only operate at weekends (e.g. 140, 183)

IME it's not "many"

Round here, of about 20 routes which operate night services only 2 are
weekend only

2 out of 2 "round here" are weekend only. The nearest all week one is
a mile walk away.

and I would guess that nearer the centre, the ratio is even smaller

Old June 8th 20, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

[...]

Yes, in normal times, it made an operating profit, which helped to
subsidise the loss-making buses. However, I don't think the operating
profit was ever enough to fully fund the capital investment, so it didn't
make a true, bottom line profit.