Old June 17th 20, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PT today

In message , at 08:37:26 on Wed, 17 Jun 2020,
Roland Perry remarked:
In message , at 07:29:57 on Wed, 17 Jun
2020, tim... remarked:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public
at large are remotely functional.

You're wrong

some designs do have filtered vents which (attempt) to safely solve
the condensation problem

Whether they actually work, or not

I have no idea

If you mean the DIY dust-masks with a knob on the front, that's a valve
not a filter. They do reduce condensation, and prevent the wearer
touching their mouth and nose.

Inward filtering (their original purpose) is to FFP2, and people will
argue until the cows come home whether that stops infected droplets
only, or also the semi-mythical naked viruses themselves.

Outbound they'll stop the worst of a sneeze or cough.

I note that the one I have, in addition to the metal strip over the
bridge of the nose, has a matching foam strip inside. That seems to seal
it off sufficiently that very little moisture ends up on glasses fitted
over the top.

Old June 17th 20, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 18:20:21 +0100
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/06/2020 16:46, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:18:46 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
tim... wrote:
Train was about 10% full, none of the seats were marked out of use. Pax
were left to make their own mind up as to where they should sit.

Everybody was masked up

Yes, that confirms other accounts: people are complying, without any
heavy-handed rule enforcement.

I don't know about the trains but in the buses they are most certainly not.
I saw a number going past today with half the passengers unmasked. And good
for them. I won't be wearing one either next time I use PT.

Nor will I, fortunately they haven't introduced that ridiculous practice
up here, at least not yet. My condition (mild autism) means that I

Give Nicola her usual 2 week delay and she'll implement exactly the same rules
as Westminster including this no doubt.

cannot relate easily to people in a face-to-face situation unless I can
*see* their faces.

Not only that, they are worse than useless unless used *properly* which
rules out pretty much everybody except medical professionals.

Time was if someone had a mask on and they walked into a shop, they'd be
trying to rob the place..! In my motorcycling days I was regularly told
to remove my helmet when paying for petrol etc.

Yes, that is certainly a factor that the No10 muppets have overlooked - once a
lot of people are back out on the streets its going to be a criminals paradise.
Muggers and shoplifters in particular will have a field day.

Old June 17th 20, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/06/2020 20:59, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public at
large are remotely functional.

In what sense?

In the sense that people have them on for.

Unless you are a medical professional or you have the training to use
the correct mask in the correct way (including disposal) then it isn't
going to be any use.

Once you touch them, then they are contaminated, and so are your hands
and anything you touch.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 17th 20, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public at
large are remotely functional.

In what sense?

In the sense that people have them on for.

Unless you are a medical professional or you have the training to use
the correct mask in the correct way (including disposal) then it isn't
going to be any use.

Of course it will. The purpose is simply to significantly reduce the
distance that droplets from an infected person are projected. It's not
intended to filter them all out. And they aren't claimed to protect the
wearer.

Once you touch them, then they are contaminated, and so are your hands
and anything you touch.

The hands of an infected person are almost certainly contaminated anyway,
so the masks won't make things worse.

Old June 17th 20, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public at
large are remotely functional.

In what sense?

In the sense that people have them on for.

Unless you are a medical professional or you have the training to use the
correct mask in the correct way (including disposal) then it isn't going
to be any use.

but they are meant to stop you contaminating someone else

not the other way round

HTH

tim

Old June 17th 20, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/06/2020 12:50, tim... wrote:

but they are meant to stop you contaminating someone else

not the other way round

So how are they going to do that, when you are infected and touch your
mask then touch something else..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 17th 20, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public
at large are remotely functional.

You're wrong

some designs do have filtered vents which (attempt) to safely solve the
condensation problem

Whether they actually work, or not

I have no idea

They are medical masks and should be reserved for medical professionals.

The silly cloth things that people wear walking around Tesco are useless.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 17th 20, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public
at large are remotely functional.

You're wrong

some designs do have filtered vents which (attempt) to safely solve the
condensation problem

Whether they actually work, or not

I have no idea

They are medical masks and should be reserved for medical professionals.

The silly cloth things that people wear walking around Tesco are useless.

On what basis did you reach that conclusion? As long as they're at least
two layers thick, they'll do the job they're intended to do.

Old June 17th 20, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 12:50, tim... wrote:

but they are meant to stop you contaminating someone else

not the other way round

So how are they going to do that, when you are infected and touch your
mask then touch something else..?

An infected person's hands would be contaminated anyway, so they certainly
don't make things worse. But they do greatly reduce the distance that
droplets are projected, which is all they're meant to do.

Old June 17th 20, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/06/2020 13:11, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 12:50, tim... wrote:

but they are meant to stop you contaminating someone else

not the other way round

So how are they going to do that, when you are infected and touch your
mask then touch something else..?

An infected person's hands would be contaminated anyway, so they certainly
don't make things worse. But they do greatly reduce the distance that
droplets are projected, which is all they're meant to do.

Possibly. But they still lull people into a false sense of security.

I cannot deal with people face to face unless I can *see* their face.
And how is a deaf person supposed to lip-read..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen