Old June 18th 20, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PT today

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 06:52:07 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:25:36 on Wed, 17 Jun
2020, remarked:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 14:36:03 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:20:21 on Wed, 17
Jun 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:

The silly cloth things that people wear walking around Tesco are useless.

On what basis did you reach that conclusion? As long as they're at
least two layers thick, they'll do the job they're intended to do.

Lull people into a false sense of security, yes. They're excellent at
that. I for one am not so easily fooled.

Perhaps the message that they aren't intended to protect the wearer,
hasn't got through?

Of course it hasn't got through. Do you think all those mask wearing
bed wetters who cross the road when someone approaches them do it for
the other person?

I'd expect them to be doing it because they understand that such masks
aren't PPE, and therefore they have to avoid the oncoming person. Or it
could just be that they want to keep 2m away.

This is a wonderful commentary on the ability of the general public to
"act like grown-ups" and make sensible decisions based on the perceived
risks, when they fall at the first fence like this.

Plenty of the general public are making sensible decisions - they're ignoring
the 2m nonsense and not wearing idiotic masks.

Demonstrating that they are unable to act like grown-ups.

Grown ups understand risks are part of life and get on with it. Pensioners
with health complications are highly likely to die of flu yet you never saw a
flurry of masks and 2m distancing appear every time a flu bug passes through
even though they're highly contagious.

Old June 18th 20, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
,

Actually, I'm more likely to wear the sort of mask the Minister said we
shouldn't - one of those rectangular blue surgical masks. Like the less
comfortable FFP2 dust mask, I have long[1] had a few in my DIY drawer
(for use when sanding lead paint, or cutting chipboard).

One of my activities frequently involves needle gunning steelwork which
throws up a fair amount of fine oxide particles and which makes any mucous
issue look like it did following a trip London 4 decades ago before
emissions were reduced.
By a stroke of luck when on of the facilities involved in the missis care
work was closed down a year ago the building contents was being emptied
mainly into a skip which one naturally delves through and I found about
50 boxes of those types of mask with each box holding 50 of them so I took
them for the task mentioned. Still have about 45 boxes left. Did think
about offering them to some people who were desperate for them but given
their provenance of being acquired from a skip and a period in a garden
shed where there is a small possibility that rodents may have been in
contact with the boxes decided a receiver would say “thanks “and then bin
them . So I’ve kept them and now have a good supply for the foreseeable
future, if just used for travel and shopping a decade at least.

The packs of disposable latex gloves also acquired we have gone through
quicker as they can be worn while painting or keeping hands clean while
gardening etc.

GH

Old June 18th 20, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Marland wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:57, Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 13:19:13 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 17/06/2020 13:11, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 12:50, tim... wrote:

but they are meant to stop you contaminating someone else

not the other way round

So how are they going to do that, when you are infected and touch your
mask then touch something else..?

An infected person's hands would be contaminated anyway, so they certainly
don't make things worse. But they do greatly reduce the distance that
droplets are projected, which is all they're meant to do.

Possibly. But they still lull people into a false sense of security.

How do you know? And do you mean the wearers, or others in their
vicinity?

Because that's what placebos do. They make people think they're cured,
or protected or whatever.

I cannot deal with people face to face unless I can *see* their face.
And how is a deaf person supposed to lip-read..?

How often do you need to speak to a deaf person?

Irrelevant. And *how dare you* insult a large proportion of the
population..? For all you know, one or more of my family could be deaf,
or my friends. Yes, I do have some, what about you..?

And you haven't answered my question about those of us who cannot relate
to people when we cannot see their faces. It frightens me and I am not
alone. There are many people out there with similar mental health
conditions. Mine is autism, what's yours..?

Impatience, especially with the growing number of people who reckon they
have mental issues of some kind and expect society to work around their
foibles , mental health problems seem to be spreading among the population
quicker than Covid 19 and its become fashionable .
It detracts from the genuine cases who have real issues .

And I’ll, have a Gin and Tonic please.

That's very relevant. During the lockdown, I've discovered the delights of
Fentiman's tonics — they make Fevertree look pedestrian. And Orange
Marmalade Welsh gin!

I have had some of their products on occasions , ISTR they do quite a good
Ginger Beer.
Their main market seemed to be in the sort of tea room or “farm shop” that
accompanies a stately home or gardens where premium products can command
the higher prices asked , and Waitrose.
Fevertree were fortunate to be the new kid on the block with a good product
just as Gin in various flavours became the fashionable drink, and
persuading people that you need different flavoured Tonics
for different styles of Gin was a good move and the older company has
probably benefited from that.

GH

Old June 18th 20, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

because most of them went for their free inoculation

HTH

tim

Old June 18th 20, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Which often doesn't work and frequently makes people ill so they don't bother.

HTH.

Old June 18th 20, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 12:50, tim... wrote:

[...]

IIRC Fentiman's also do a very nice ginger beer.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old June 18th 20, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 12:50, tim... wrote:

[...]

I think that was their original product from 1905. The company did go
dormant in the mid '60s, but was resurrected in 1988 by founder Thomas
Fentiman's great grandson.