London Banter

-   -   Banksy decorates a Circle Line train (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17787-banksy-decorates-circle-line-train.html)

Recliner[_4_] July 14th 20 04:44 PM

Banksy decorates a Circle Line train

Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

[email protected] July 15th 20 09:00 AM

Banksy decorates a Circle Line train

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 15:44:53 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

Or reduced it if like me you think Banksy is nothing more than a ham artist
who got famous for [reasons] with his undergrad art college level stencils.

Recliner[_4_] July 15th 20 09:24 AM

Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

Or reduced it if like me you think Banksy is nothing more than a ham artist
who got famous for [reasons] with his undergrad art college level stencils.

https://www.myartbroker.com/artist/banksy/top-ten-prices-paid-for-banksy-art/

The cost of an S stock carriage is about £1m. So four Banksy artworks each
have been sold for more than the cost of such a carriage. The highest
priced Banksy fetched more than the cost of a whole S stock train.

[email protected] July 15th 20 09:29 AM

Banksy decorates a Circle Line train

Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

Or reduced it if like me you think Banksy is nothing more than a ham artist
who got famous for [reasons] with his undergrad art college level stencils.

https://www.myartbroker.com/artist/banksy/top-ten-prices-paid-for-banksy-art/

The cost of an S stock carriage is about £1m. So four Banksy artworks each
have been sold for more than the cost of such a carriage. The highest
priced Banksy fetched more than the cost of a whole S stock train.

Well quite possibly and as Damien Hirst and Tracy Emin have been proving for
decades now - there are plenty of idiots who are willing to be parted from
their money for utter tat. Ditto Banksys. But given he uses stencils he can
recreate his "works" in seconds anywhere. Perhaps LU should have got him to
stencil some A, D and C stocks before they went to the scappers.

Marland July 15th 20 11:11 AM

Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

Or reduced it if like me you think Banksy is nothing more than a ham artist
who got famous for [reasons] with his undergrad art college level stencils.

https://www.myartbroker.com/artist/banksy/top-ten-prices-paid-for-banksy-art/

The cost of an S stock carriage is about £1m. So four Banksy artworks each
have been sold for more than the cost of such a carriage. The highest
priced Banksy fetched more than the cost of a whole S stock train.

He is a bit of a Robin Hood figure though who by skilful timing and
choosing of subjects has managed to progress from a graffiti vandal to folk
hero.
Just hope we don’t see copycats who. think it okay to start daubing
messages inside vehicles because they think it has become socially
acceptable .can just imagine the furore when someone daubs Black Lives
Matter in a non artistic manner and it gets cleaned off because the mark
resembles more the
vomit resembling mess seen on Railway infrastructure rather than anything
artistic.

GH

[email protected] July 15th 20 11:30 AM

Recliner wrote:
[...]

It appears TFW have done the correct thing and got rid of it:-
https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/15/tfl-t...licy-12990648/

Recliner[_4_] July 15th 20 11:47 AM

Recliner wrote:
[...]

That's very generous of TfW. Do they normally clean the graffiti from
London trains, or only if the artist is famous? Or were they actually
stealing it, and it'll reappear in a Cardiff gallery on a donor Pacer?

Sam Wilson[_2_] July 15th 20 12:11 PM

Recliner wrote:
[...]

The headline on the article must be wrong as well, because it refers to TfL
not TfW. Don’t journalists check anything these days?

Sam (TBH I only read the headline)

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply

Bevan Price[_5_] July 15th 20 12:14 PM

On 14/07/2020 16:44, Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

The so-called "artist" has committed criminal damage to the train, and
should hopefully be sought, caught & prosecuted by the police. Failure
to do that will only induce others to follow his example.

Anna Noyd-Dryver July 15th 20 01:31 PM

Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

All scrubbed off and back in service now.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Scott July 15th 20 02:39 PM

Banksy decorates a Circle Line train

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 12:31:19 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

All scrubbed off and back in service now.

I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.

Charles Ellson[_2_] July 15th 20 02:47 PM

Banksy decorates a Circle Line train

wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

All scrubbed off and back in service now.

I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.

You have missed an obvious problem with that.

[email protected] July 15th 20 06:30 PM

wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

All scrubbed off and back in service now.

I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.

Quite frankly I hope he's prosecuted as well.

Basil Jet[_4_] July 15th 20 08:54 PM

wrote:

I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.

You have missed an obvious problem with that.

Do you really think the authorities don't know who Banksy is?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
The Monkees - 1996 - Justus

Scott July 15th 20 09:40 PM

Banksy decorates a Circle Line train

wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?

All scrubbed off and back in service now.

I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.

You have missed an obvious problem with that.

Absence of patrimonial loss?

Recliner[_4_] July 15th 20 10:01 PM

wrote:

I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.

You have missed an obvious problem with that.

Do you really think the authorities don't know who Banksy is?

There's a theory that it's not one man, but a group of two or three, such
as Robin Gunningham, Robert Del Naja and Jamie Hewlett. I reckon that, in
ths case, the video is the actual artwork, shot by Banksy, with a masked
friend doing the application.

[email protected] July 16th 20 08:47 AM

Banksy decorates a Circle Line train

wrote:

I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.

You have missed an obvious problem with that.

Do you really think the authorities don't know who Banksy is?

There's a theory that it's not one man, but a group of two or three, such
as Robin Gunningham, Robert Del Naja and Jamie Hewlett. I reckon that, in
ths case, the video is the actual artwork, shot by Banksy, with a masked
friend doing the application.

Subcontracting/delegation to someone else to do the actual work while the
artist was the "inspiration" (or project manager more like) seems to be fairly
common in the art world. Even the old masters were at it. Slightly fraudulent
IMO but YMMV.

Recliner[_4_] July 16th 20 09:03 AM

wrote:

I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.

You have missed an obvious problem with that.

Do you really think the authorities don't know who Banksy is?

There's a theory that it's not one man, but a group of two or three, such
as Robin Gunningham, Robert Del Naja and Jamie Hewlett. I reckon that, in
ths case, the video is the actual artwork, shot by Banksy, with a masked
friend doing the application.

Subcontracting/delegation to someone else to do the actual work while the
artist was the "inspiration" (or project manager more like) seems to be fairly
common in the art world. Even the old masters were at it. Slightly fraudulent
IMO but YMMV.

Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.

But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the
graffiti, which they knew would soon be removed. So, if Banksy designed the
stunt and shot the video, than he could be said to have personally produced
the artwork. The spray paint was just one of the materials used.

[email protected] July 16th 20 09:09 AM

Banksy decorates a Circle Line train

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 08:03:02 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 21:01:56 -0000 (UTC)
Subcontracting/delegation to someone else to do the actual work while the
artist was the "inspiration" (or project manager more like) seems to be

fairly
common in the art world. Even the old masters were at it. Slightly

fraudulent
IMO but YMMV.

Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.

But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the

Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.

Scott July 16th 20 09:29 AM

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 21:01:56 -0000 (UTC)
Subcontracting/delegation to someone else to do the actual work while the
artist was the "inspiration" (or project manager more like) seems to be

fairly
common in the art world. Even the old masters were at it. Slightly

fraudulent
IMO but YMMV.

Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.

But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the

Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.

What are the rules about video recording on the London Underground
anyway? I though permission was needed.

Marland July 16th 20 11:23 AM

Scott wrote:

But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the

Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.

What are the rules about video recording on the London Underground
anyway? I though permission was needed.

Applicant ,Dear TFL , May I Have permission to make a video recording on
a train?

TFl. Please fill in form giving name and address details and details
of what your production will be about.

Applicant , I live at 54 **** Street Brixton and I’m going to film myself
and an accomplice vandalising the inside of one of you trains with spray
paint.

TfL , permission denied , please resubmit calling yourself an Artist and
what you are doing is art,
public support means we may have to tolerate your action.

Yep it might work

GH

Certes July 16th 20 12:11 PM

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 21:01:56 -0000 (UTC)
Subcontracting/delegation to someone else to do the actual work while the
artist was the "inspiration" (or project manager more like) seems to be
fairly
common in the art world. Even the old masters were at it. Slightly
fraudulent
IMO but YMMV.

Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.

But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the

Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.

What are the rules about video recording on the London Underground
anyway? I though permission was needed.

Banksy: Hold this fence for me while we break into the depot.
Colleague: OK boss, in we go!
Banksy: Now help me spray paint all over this carriage.
Colleague: Done. We just had enough black to finish the job.
Banksy: Now, stand back while I video our work.
Colleague: Sorry boss, I can't let you do that, we don't have a permit.

Graeme Wall July 16th 20 04:30 PM

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 21:01:56 -0000 (UTC)
Subcontracting/delegation to someone else to do the actual work while the
artist was the "inspiration" (or project manager more like) seems to be
fairly
common in the art world. Even the old masters were at it. Slightly
fraudulent
IMO but YMMV.

Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.

But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the

Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.

What are the rules about video recording on the London Underground
anyway? I though permission was needed.

For commercial purposes yes, no way are you going to stop people using
their phones to video while travelling.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.