Old November 3rd 20, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail 2 Cancelled

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe

Old November 3rd 20, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe

Yes, Crossrail 2 was off the agenda for quite a while, anyway.

Not mentioned in that story is that the mayor may also have to raise more
money for TfL through a precept on council taxes. This would be for the
Freedom Pass to continue.
Old November 3rd 20, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

Is investigate really government speak for “you must implement”?
If TFL investigate and the investigation finds them not ideal will the
government accept that or say that isn’t the answer we wanted to hear, go
away and introduce them anyway.

GH

Old November 3rd 20, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/11/2020 11:38, Marland wrote:
tim... wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

Is investigate really government speak for “you must implement”?
If TFL investigate and the investigation finds them not ideal will the
government accept that or say that isn’t the answer we wanted to hear, go
away and introduce them anyway.

It shoves a decision down the line (sorry).

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old November 3rd 20, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Nov 2020 11:38:41 GMT, Marland wrote:

tim... wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

Is investigate really government speak for you must implement?
If TFL investigate and the investigation finds them not ideal will the
government accept that or say that isnt the answer we wanted to hear, go
away and introduce them anyway.

It's a way of placating Boris. He can claim a victory in this negotiation, and the investigation will probably report
after he's completed his short political sabbatical and returned to his full-time job as a comedy writer and comedian.

Old November 3rd 20, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 07:48:27 -0000, "tim..." wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe

I see another London economy measure has been crystallised:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565

At last, the Dangleway might get some customers!
Old November 3rd 20, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
I see another London economy measure has been crystallised:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565

At last, the Dangleway might get some customers!

Doesn't the sponsorship deal come to an end soon? If in need of something
to cut, I would have expected that to be a prime candidate.

Of course, scrapping it wouldn't be popular with the PM...

(I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cut when they can't find a new sponsor.
Or sold off to be a tourist trap)

Theo
Old November 3rd 20, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03 Nov 2020 12:49:16 +0000 (GMT), Theo wrote:

Recliner wrote:
I see another London economy measure has been crystallised:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565

At last, the Dangleway might get some customers!

Doesn't the sponsorship deal come to an end soon? If in need of something
to cut, I would have expected that to be a prime candidate.

Of course, scrapping it wouldn't be popular with the PM...

(I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cut when they can't find a new sponsor.
Or sold off to be a tourist trap)

Yes, the latter would be the right thing to do. It's a sightseeing trip, much the same as walking over the roof of the
O2, or doing a circuit on the London Eye. It's not public transport, and shouldn't be subsidised or promoted by TfL, any
more than the open top sightseeing buses are.
Old November 3rd 20, 01:29 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

As Crossrail 2 has been hijacked by crayonists in Hertfordshire,
Hampshire and Surrey and turned into Thameslink 2, a project to
benefit commuters living outside London, I don't mind if finalising
the details is delayed for several years.

If and when the concept is revived, I hope whoever is Mayor of London
will argue that if London is to contribute a major part of the funding,
the primary purpose of the scheme must be to tackle London's public
transport problems and that these should not be subordinated to the
needs of peak time commuters from outside London.
Old November 3rd 20, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:32:35 +0000
Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 07:48:27 -0000, "tim..." wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-shelved-tran

sport-for-london-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe

I see another London economy measure has been crystallised:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565

I bet that'll be popular with the staff for the next 5 years until xrail
opens. Not. Fine if you live near that area, a PITA to get to if you live
anywhere else.