Old February 8th 21, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

This sign looks like Johnston font to me, even though the Thames Barrier
is owned by the Environment Agency, not TfL. Was it ever TfL owned?

https://youtu.be/0ImibAisXN0?t=3389

Mr Wiki he say...

"The barrier was originally commissioned by the Greater London Council
under the guidance of Ray Horner. After the 1986 abolition of the GLC it
was operated successively by Thames Water Authority and then the
National Rivers Authority until April 1996 when it passed to the
Environment Agency."

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
1975 - Down By The Jetty - Dr. Feelgood

Old February 8th 21, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote on Mon Feb 08 2021 17:20:10 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time) ...

This sign looks like Johnston font to me, even though the Thames Barrier
is owned by the Environment Agency, not TfL. Was it ever TfL owned?

https://youtu.be/0ImibAisXN0?t=3389

Mr Wiki he say...

"The barrier was originally commissioned by the Greater London Council
under the guidance of Ray Horner. After the 1986 abolition of the GLC it
was operated successively by Thames Water Authority and then the
National Rivers Authority until April 1996 when it passed to the
Environment Agency."

It doesn't look like any of the Johnston fonts to me. The 'U' is too condensed, the '9' has a full rounded bottom unlike Johnston, the 'S' is too balanced whereas Johnston has a shorter top section, the 't' horizontal stroke is not wide enough, etc.

--
Richard J.
Old February 9th 21, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/02/2021 21:44, Richard J. wrote:
Basil Jet wrote on Mon Feb 08 2021 17:20:10
GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time) ...

This sign looks like Johnston font to me, even though the Thames Barrier
is owned by the Environment Agency, not TfL. Was it ever TfL owned?

https://youtu.be/0ImibAisXN0?t=3389

Mr Wiki he say...

"The barrier was originally commissioned by the Greater London Council
under the guidance of Ray Horner. After the 1986 abolition of the GLC it
was operated successively by Thames Water Authority and then the
National Rivers Authority until April 1996 when it passed to the
Environment Agency."

It doesn't look like any of the Johnston fonts to me.Â* The 'U' is too
condensed, the '9' has a full rounded bottom unlike Johnston, the 'S' is
too balanced whereas Johnston has a shorter top section, the 't'
horizontal stroke is not wide enough, etc.

One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not Johnston.

https://assets.londonist.com/uploads...5/dsc_0049.jpg

PA

Old February 9th 21, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/02/2021 09:45, Peter Able wrote:
On 08/02/2021 21:44, Richard J. wrote:

It doesn't look like any of the Johnston fonts to me.Â* The 'U' is too
condensed, the '9' has a full rounded bottom unlike Johnston, the 'S'
is too balanced whereas Johnston has a shorter top section, the 't'
horizontal stroke is not wide enough, etc.

One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not Johnston.

https://assets.londonist.com/uploads...5/dsc_0049.jpg

Thanks, both!

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2005 - **** The Golden Youth - The Mint Chicks
Old February 9th 21, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Basil Jet remarked:

One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.

I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really heavy
hints in the question about lower/upper case.

Old February 9th 21, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Basil Jet remarked:

Â*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not Johnston.

I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really heavy
hints in the question about lower/upper case.

Where did the spaghetti harvest come?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old February 9th 21, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:58:43 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb
2021, Basil Jet remarked:

*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.

I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really
heavy hints in the question about lower/upper case.

Where did the spaghetti harvest come?

Much higher (which surprised me because it was significantly earlier).
Old February 9th 21, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/02/2021 13:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:58:43 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb
2021,Â* Basil Jet remarked:

Â*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.

Â*I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really
heavyÂ* hints in the question about lower/upper case.

Where did the spaghetti harvest come?

Much higher (which surprised me because it was significantly earlier).

Circa 1957 IIRC whereas San Serif was in the 1970s.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old February 9th 21, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/02/2021 13:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:58:43 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb
2021,Â* Basil Jet remarked:

Â*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.

Â*I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really
heavyÂ* hints in the question about lower/upper case.

Where did the spaghetti harvest come?

Much higher (which surprised me because it was significantly earlier).

Circa 1957 IIRC whereas San Serif was in the 1970s.

Yes, 1977:
https://static.guim.co.uk/ni/1454601868089/San-Serriffe-special-report.pdf

Of course, in that era before desktop publishing, few ordinary people knew
much about fonts, let alone about sans-serif font families.

Old February 10th 21, 07:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:51:03 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Recliner remarked:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

You've forgotten about Letraset?