Old March 26th 21, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU staff shortages?

I just got my weekly TfL 'Weekend travel information' newsletter, which
contains this item of information:

From Friday 26 until Monday 29 March, due to staff shortages, there will be
short notice closures on the Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan
lines.

The Circle and Hammersmith & City lines will be disrupted on the following
days:
On Friday 26 March, services will be reduced from 19:00 and there will be
no service from 21:30 on either line.
From Saturday 27 until Monday 29 March, there will be no service on either
line.

From 18:00 on Saturday 27, there will be no service on the Metropolitan
line, and on Sunday 28 March, there will be no service.

In addition, the Piccadilly line between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge and the
District line between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road may also be
disrupted at these times.

The disruptions could also affect Chiltern Railway services.

—————

Just curious — is this industrial action, or a genuine staff shortage? Or
something to do with the new signalling?

Old March 27th 21, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
I just got my weekly TfL 'Weekend travel information' newsletter, which
contains this item of information:

From Friday 26 until Monday 29 March, due to staff shortages, there will be
short notice closures on the Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan
lines.

The Circle and Hammersmith & City lines will be disrupted on the following
days:
On Friday 26 March, services will be reduced from 19:00 and there will be
no service from 21:30 on either line.
From Saturday 27 until Monday 29 March, there will be no service on either
line.

From 18:00 on Saturday 27, there will be no service on the Metropolitan
line, and on Sunday 28 March, there will be no service.

In addition, the Piccadilly line between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge and the
District line between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road may also be
disrupted at these times.

The disruptions could also affect Chiltern Railway services.

—————

Just curious — is this industrial action, or a genuine staff shortage? Or
something to do with the new signalling?

As of Saturday morning, I see:

Met: No service between Baker Street and Aldgate due to temporary
unavailability of control room staff.

Circle: No service due to unavailability of control room staff.

H&C: No service on the whole line.

District: No service between Tower Hill and West Ham.
Old March 27th 21, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/03/2021 09:41, Recliner wrote:
TfL 'Weekend travel information

The sub-surfaces are reporting "no service due to unavailability of
control room staff"

The W&C is reporting "No service until further notice."

What's up?

PA

Old March 27th 21, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Able wrote:
On 26/03/2021 09:41, Recliner wrote:
TfL 'Weekend travel information

The sub-surfaces are reporting "no service due to unavailability of
control room staff"

The effect on the Met and District is slightly less severe than yesterday's
newsletter suggested, so it looks like the staffing situation has improved
slightly.

I wonder if there's been a wave of Covid infections among control room
staff, who are now having to self-isolate at home? Is TfL perhaps doing
more staff testing?

The W&C is reporting "No service until further notice."

What's up?

The Drain has been and remains shut since the Pandemic started. Ditto the
Night Tube. No word on when either might re-start, but the W&C could
re-start at short notice if required. Essentially, its drivers are shared
with the Central line, which currently needs them much more.

The Night Tube won't return till after London's night life gets back to
normal. Who knows when that might be?

Old March 28th 21, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Peter Able wrote:
On 26/03/2021 09:41, Recliner wrote:
TfL 'Weekend travel information

The sub-surfaces are reporting "no service due to unavailability of
control room staff"

The effect on the Met and District is slightly less severe than yesterday's
newsletter suggested, so it looks like the staffing situation has improved
slightly.

I wonder if there's been a wave of Covid infections among control room
staff, who are now having to self-isolate at home? Is TfL perhaps doing
more staff testing?

What's up?

Not that I am casting nasturtiums at LUL staff who probably would not even
consider doing such a thing, but in a completely unrelated industry I have
been told by someone who works in it that
after a year of working around Covid some of his fellows have worked out
a time off for Covid Rota
where they phone in telling that they have to self isolate as they or or
someone they have been in contact with had the symptoms, in their case
they have a reasonable sick pay arrangement.
Meanwhile the colleagues whose “turn” it is to come into work are earning a
lot more than they normally would by doing extra shifts.

GH

Old March 29th 21, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Mar 2021 12:21:19 GMT
Marland wrote:
Recliner wrote:
What's up?

Not that I am casting nasturtiums at LUL staff who probably would not even
consider doing such a thing, but in a completely unrelated industry I have
been told by someone who works in it that
after a year of working around Covid some of his fellows have worked out
a time off for Covid Rota
where they phone in telling that they have to self isolate as they or or
someone they have been in contact with had the symptoms, in their case
they have a reasonable sick pay arrangement.
Meanwhile the colleagues whose “turn” it is to come into work are earning a

lot more than they normally would by doing extra shifts.

Surely not, those complete professionals wouldn't do something like that
would they? Next you'll be telling us they'll call strike action over not
being paid quite as much as a CEO!

Old March 29th 21, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 28 Mar 2021 12:21:19 GMT
Marland wrote:
Recliner wrote:
What's up?

Not that I am casting nasturtiums at LUL staff who probably would not even
consider doing such a thing, but in a completely unrelated industry I have
been told by someone who works in it that
after a year of working around Covid some of his fellows have worked out
a time off for Covid Rota
where they phone in telling that they have to self isolate as they or or
someone they have been in contact with had the symptoms, in their case
they have a reasonable sick pay arrangement.
Meanwhile the colleagues whose “turn” it is to come into work are earning a

lot more than they normally would by doing extra shifts.

Surely not, those complete professionals wouldn't do something like that
would they? Next you'll be telling us they'll call strike action over not
being paid quite as much as a CEO!

I don't know if it's the same problem today, but the H&C was having bad
problems earlier today.

I also had my first ride on the Victoria line today, and although the
service was reported as 'good', the trains were much less frequent than in
pre-pandemic days. Perhaps that's the new normal?

Old April 1st 21, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Able wrote:
On 26/03/2021 09:41, Recliner wrote:
TfL 'Weekend travel information

The sub-surfaces are reporting "no service due to unavailability of
control room staff"

The W&C is reporting "No service until further notice."

What's up?

The W&C hasn't run since the beginning of Covid.

The others, I guess there's a shortage of control room staff? Perhaps
several of them are either unwell, or isolating, or shielding.

Anna Noyd-Dryver