Old April 8th 21, 09:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default LO lines to be named

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

Some said that at one time the York Park&Ride buses used have different
liveries for the different routes, depending on which P&R car-park they went
to/from. But by the time I used them, they were a standard livery - the same
as the non-P&R buses (*) - and distinguished only by the LED display with
the number and the route name (I think it alternated between the colour-name
of the route and the name of the car-park).

What is always amusing is if a bus company has temporarily borrowed a few
buses from another company: there's something a bit weird getting on a bus
in York which has bus-company or place-of-interest adverts for Sheffield or
Leeds. I think the furthest afield was one that was from the Exeter area.
That's a hell of a long way to transport a bus that you've borrowed ;-)

(*) It's a shame there wasn't a different livery that was common for all P&R
buses (irrespective of route) so you could distinguish "your" bus from other
routes that happened to use the same bus-stop in town. It would everyone
standing up in anticipation, only to realise that it's the wrong bus as it
gets close enough to read the LED sign.

Old April 8th 21, 09:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have
quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as
well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the
sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

Quite a lot do it though.

Here's a Brighton one...

That's fair enough. The buses that do long-distance routes (the
Leeds-York-Malton-Scarborough/Whitby "Coastliner" is the one near me) tend
to be higher spec and more powerful for going further and faster, and
getting up hills (Whitwell Hill is the killer for buses on the A64), so they
have a dedicated fleet with specific livery. But the livery doesn't go down
to the level of separate paint jobs depending on whether the bus goes to
Whitby or Scarborough after Malton :-)

The Number 36 Ripon-Harrogate-Leeds buses are a specific livery with those
destinations painted on the side - but that's a fast and frequent service
with little extras like USB charging points and wifi (introduced long before
it became common even on local buses). (By rights, that bus should be the
reinstated Ripon railway service, but the 36 bus is so good that trains
could probably not compete on price, and *maybe* not on journey time, so the
line will probably never be re-opened now.)

Old April 8th 21, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

That was used by some Edwardian Tram operators as in the 1900’s people were
less literate than they are now, Glasgow was one of the larger operators to
use the method and augmented the livery
by having an appropriates coloured lamp shining forward which you
probably could not do on a bus
due to C+U regulations ruling out Red shining forward. The system ceased
to be used from 1938.
On such a large Network there had to be duplication.
Someone has patiently created a LU style map of the routes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kaputniq/46734214652/

The use of the number within the livery seems quite widespread where an
operator runs a route it wishes to set apart from the tour around the
suburbs operations such as the various X for express services around the
country, sometimes with a line map of the stops served.
Occasionally they have a really dedicated colour livery as well
,Stagecoach favour Gold for many such services.

First operate some routes with a dedicated route livery such as between
Poole and Exeter with scenic X53 Jurassic Coast service., this year they
are delivering new vehicles to the service in a dedicated livery so they
must still see some merit in such branding.

https://twitter.com/firstdorset/stat...63208940793856

First pulled out of much of Devon a few years ago now leaving StageCoach to
resurrect some routes.

This meant that fast bus service between Exeter and Bude which was
deliberately branded as the Atlantic Coast Express in homage to the train
of that name parts of which ran that way lost the name.

https://www.focustransport.org/2012/...rth-devon.html

Are there any other bus services that use or used a former train service
name.

GH

Old April 8th 21, 11:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Stagecoach do that a lot (at least in some areas). At weekends it's common
to see buses on the wrong routes.
Old April 9th 21, 12:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 21:35:31 +0100, "NY" wrote:

[...]

When I lived im Manchester, we had Pacers which were withrawn from
Cornwall because the curves were too tigh. These still had Cornish ads
and wers till painted chocolate and cream )their only redeeming
feature).

We also had ex- Glasgoe Class 303 units, still painted in Strathclyde
livery, with Glasgow adverts and maps.

Old April 9th 21, 01:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

NY wrote:
[...]

Quite a long time ago now after the break up and privatisation of the
National Bus Company one
of the smaller operations created was the North Devon operation branded as
Red Bus, an unusual
colour for the area which had long been a bastion of Southern and Western
National green.
Till they were repainted the buses as well as having the name Red Bus
applied on a white patch carried labels stating “This is now a Red Bus”
which at least gave the new operation a little publicity in the area,
however sometime later I saw one of the vehicles still in green either
transferred or loaned
to Hampshire bus on an Andover to Basingstoke service still carrying
adverts for Devon businesses
and also the “This is now a Red Bus” stickers. Gawd knows many
stereotype opinions of people in the Southwest being country bumpkins were
reinforced in observers.

Going further back than I can remember during WW2 Bournemouth Corporation
Trolleybuses
were loaned to London Transport and their Primrose Yellow livery must have
made quite a contrast to the usual in Ilford where they were based as with
less seats than London Trolleys that area was quieter.
They returned home when a batch of trolleys destined for South Africa were
allocated to London , this required a change in UK construction and rules
as they were 6 inches wider than and heavier than what was allowed on UK
buses at the time they also went to Ilford as it was felt the streets were
generally wider than those of central London , The change was permanent and
post war buses were wider than their older brethren so drivers soon had to
cope everywhere.

The South Africans got a new batch postwar and London held onto the
originals,they were regarded as quite luxurious as they retained tinted and
opening windows for a climate they never saw though once it was obvious
they were never going the front entrance doors temporarily covered were
removed fully.

The South African design influenced the Londons last batch of Trolleys post
war the Q1 model which apart from minor details was also used by Glasgow
and Newcastle.

GH
Old April 9th 21, 06:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 13:56:46 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

And yet it's not uncommon.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old April 9th 21, 06:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 07/04/2021 22:13, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). ... So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2017/10/edinburgh-goes-wild-for-new-zoo-design-buses/

I know children who say things like “look, it’s the lemur bus!”

Sam

I wasn't suggesting the trains have pictures of animal faces or body
shapes, but that the entire train be covered in zebra stripes etc.

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

As do First in Bristol, though some are shared between routes which have
significant sections in common (eg 1/2 and 3/4). More recently they've
changed some route liveries to be more generic 'north/south of city
routes'.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old April 9th 21, 07:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

The classic use of different colours for different routes is in Buenos
Aires where each of over 100 different routes has its own colour scheme.
Originally the buses were all operated by owner-drivers and each driver
belonged to a cooperative that had the licence to operate one route.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old April 9th 21, 07:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). An unrecognised asset pretty much unique to LO is loads
of bridges in prominent locations like Camden and Shoreditch, and these
could also be liveried like the trains. The livery would also appear in
simplified form on the tube map line. So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

This would actually turn the LO into a tourist attraction, with people
heading out to Romford just to see the Ladybird train.

That's the kind of thing a Japanese private or third sector branch line
might do!

Anna Noyd-Dryver