Old April 12th 21, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unlockdown London

Today was the day when non-essential shops and outdoor restaurants could reopen in England. I decided to take an
electric bus along two of the main shopping streets in London to see if there were returning crowds of shoppers.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157718923710722

Bottom line: not really, as the absence of foreign tourists is very obvious. But some shops did have queues outside at
10am.

Old April 13th 21, 05:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
Today was the day when non-essential shops and outdoor restaurants could
reopen in England. I decided to take an
electric bus along two of the main shopping streets in London to see if
there were returning crowds of shoppers.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157718923710722

Bottom line: not really, as the absence of foreign tourists is very
obvious. But some shops did have queues outside at
10am.

It took the weekend for my high street to be busy again after the first
lockdown

Not many people are going to take a day off work to go shopping 5 days
earlier, after a wait for 4 months

Old April 13th 21, 06:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:58:52 on Tue, 13 Apr
2021, tim... remarked:

"Recliner" wrote in message
.. .
Today was the day when non-essential shops and outdoor restaurants
could reopen in England. I decided to take an
electric bus along two of the main shopping streets in London to see
if there were returning crowds of shoppers.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157718923710722

Bottom line: not really, as the absence of foreign tourists is very
obvious. But some shops did have queues outside at
10am.

It took the weekend for my high street to be busy again after the first
lockdown

Not many people are going to take a day off work to go shopping 5 days
earlier, after a wait for 4 months

And in the grand scheme of things, plenty of people do not have a life
where they have to turn up for work on every Monday.

By co-incidence (ie not visiting a business that had just re-opened), I
was out Monday afternoon, and the High Street was pretty busy, with
especially barbers shops looking very full. And a long queue outside a
taxi-office (I suppose people wanting to go back home).
Old April 13th 21, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Today was the day when non-essential shops and outdoor restaurants could
reopen in England. I decided to take an
electric bus along two of the main shopping streets in London to see if
there were returning crowds of shoppers.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157718923710722

Bottom line: not really, as the absence of foreign tourists is very
obvious. But some shops did have queues outside at
10am.

It took the weekend for my high street to be busy again after the first
lockdown

Not many people are going to take a day off work to go shopping 5 days
earlier, after a wait for 4 months

It didn't stop very long queues of working age men outside every barber's
shop.

I suspect that many of the West End shops are suffering from the absence of
foreign tourists. Shops more likely to appeal to locals, such Apple,
Hamley's and Nike had long queues outside at opening time (10am). A few
West End stores (particularly those with food halls) have a 9am opening
time, and I'd have missed seeing their queues.
Old April 13th 21, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/04/2021 06:58, tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Today was the day when non-essential shops and outdoor restaurants
could reopen in England. I decided to take an
electric bus along two of the main shopping streets in London to see
if there were returning crowds of shoppers.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157718923710722

Bottom line: not really, as the absence of foreign tourists is very
obvious. But some shops did have queues outside at
10am.

It took the weekend for my high street to be busy again after the first
lockdown

Not many people are going to take a day off work to go shopping 5 days
earlier, after a wait for 4 months

Some parts of the country are still in school holidays, Southampton
yesterday was full of people shopping and queuing for pubs.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.