Old May 8th 21, 03:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sat, 08 May 2021 12:11:37 +0100
Mark Goodge wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:26:15 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2021 10:40:53 +0100
Charles Ellson wrote:

Rubbish yourself.
"one of the main reasons (and justifications) for having
PEDs is for ventilation although of course they do have the obvious
benefit of preventing people from falling onto the track."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...m_screen_doors

No idea what that site is

Might I suggest that you follow the link and read the documents on the
other end of it, then. It might help you stop looking like an idiot.

They can claim what they like, but back when the JLE was being built the
safety case of platform doors was being pushed by LU in the media. Ventilation
didn't even get a mention.

, but clearly neither them nor you have ever
been on the tube.

It would be a little odd if nobody from TfL had ever been on the tube.

So Ellson works for TfL?

Old May 8th 21, 03:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 8 May 2021 12:32:05 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
through the tunnel provides plenty of ventilation into the station. In fact
the doors actually prevent a lot of that leaving some station platforms
uncomfortable on hot days IME when I worked at Canary Wharf particularly
London Bridge.

The piston effect of the trains pumps hot air around the tunnels from one
station to another, great.

No, it pushes some of the hot air out of the station and draws some cold
air in. Next time you're at Holborn stand at the top of the escalators and
you'll see what I mean. No idea why the effect is so strong at that station,
perhaps fewer ventilation shafts.

If you visit very hot places like Singapore or Hong Kong you'll find that
almost every underground metro station has full-height platform edge doors
which completely isolate the air in the tunnels from the air in the

And LU doesn't. What does that tell you?

Used properly, it can be very effective.

No doubt. The LU system isn't very effective at it, but it is effective at
stopping people falling on the track. I imagine the reason its not on the
above ground sections of the JLE is that the mechanisms arn't built to
withstand the elements and there'd be constant failures.

Old May 8th 21, 05:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
[...]

As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old May 8th 21, 06:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Charles Ellson wrote:

Rubbish yourself.
"one of the main reasons (and justifications) for having
PEDs is for ventilation although of course they do have the obvious
benefit of preventing people from falling onto the track."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...m_screen_doors

No idea what that site is

Might I suggest that you follow the link and read the documents on the
other end of it, then. It might help you stop looking like an idiot.

They can claim what they like, but back when the JLE was being built the
safety case of platform doors was being pushed by LU in the media. Ventilation
didn't even get a mention.

, but clearly neither them nor you have ever
been on the tube.

It would be a little odd if nobody from TfL had ever been on the tube.

So Ellson works for TfL?

Try doing what he suggested, Fudrick.
Old May 8th 21, 08:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
[...]

St. Petersburg, Tokyo, Brescia, Copenhagen, Paris Metro Lines 1 and 14
etc.

Old May 9th 21, 12:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:53:50 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
No!! Is it?? Who knew! Take a look at a map - its well south of the north
circular, never mind the M25 and on a very busy road.

It's also right next to a railway line, and it would have been easy to
establish at least a temporary connection for delivering the fleet. That
would have been much easier than using the usual Ruislip connection.

Yes, I'm sure network rail would jump at the chance to close a track on a
main commuter line to link up to the depot in order for LU to get their
trains.

Why would it have to close a track? And the Ruislip connection is also on
a busy commuter and regional main line to Birmingham.

In fact there was a link once but it was removed.

Not always and it also prevents the stock easily being taken to Neasden
for major overhauls.

Why would Victoria line stock be taken to the Jubilee and Met lines depot
at Neasden for overhauls?

Neasden is (or perhaps was) where all stock got major overhauls.

You're years out of date.

The other depots don't have all the equipment.

And nor does Neasden. It's just the Met and secondary Jubilee depot.

Old May 9th 21, 03:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 May 2021 00:18:30 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Yes, I'm sure network rail would jump at the chance to close a track on a
main commuter line to link up to the depot in order for LU to get their
trains.

Why would it have to close a track? And the Ruislip connection is also on

I suppose they could do it at 2 in the morning, but they certainly couldn't
do it in the day without seriously impacting the local mainline services.

a busy commuter and regional main line to Birmingham.

The odd DMU now and then doesn't really compare to an electrified surburban
line.

Old May 9th 21, 03:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 8 May 2021 17:05:19 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
No doubt. The LU system isn't very effective at it, but it is effective at
stopping people falling on the track. I imagine the reason its not on the
above ground sections of the JLE is that the mechanisms arn't built to
withstand the elements and there'd be constant failures.

As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

And I bet those half height doors really work wonders for ventilation, right?

Old May 9th 21, 03:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Yes, I'm sure network rail would jump at the chance to close a track on a
main commuter line to link up to the depot in order for LU to get their
trains.

Why would it have to close a track? And the Ruislip connection is also on

I suppose they could do it at 2 in the morning, but they certainly couldn't
do it in the day without seriously impacting the local mainline services.

a busy commuter and regional main line to Birmingham.

The odd DMU now and then doesn't really compare to an electrified surburban
line.

What makes an electrified line special? Ruislip also sees frequent
loco-hauled express trains — how many of those pass the Victoria line
depot?

Old May 9th 21, 03:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:35:42 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
The odd DMU now and then doesn't really compare to an electrified surburban
line.

What makes an electrified line special? Ruislip also sees frequent

Hmm, an electrified suburban commuter service out of liverpool street that
serves large parts of north east london, hertforshire and essex vs a line
that meanders its way to High Wycombe passing through not many stations
on the way.... tricky.....

loco-hauled express trains — how many of those pass the Victoria line
depot?

Express trains on the wycombe line?