Old May 28th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default UK Petrol prices

If you feel you want to try to reduce petrol prices, try the following
suggestion :

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol prices
to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Philip
Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day"
campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just
laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continueto hurt ourselves by
refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a
problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea,has come up with a plan
that can really work. Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think
that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive
action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With
the price of petrol going up more each
day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the
price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest
oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any
petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their
prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact,
we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's
really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep
reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a; lot of people. If each of you send it to at
least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more
(300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth
generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If
those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then
30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further,
you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all You have to
do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long
would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people
within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be
contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had
that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If
this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

Action: It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your
petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p) Jet etc. i.e boycott BP
and Esso.

Old May 28th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"dave F" wrote in message
If you feel you want to try to reduce petrol prices, try the following
suggestion :

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer.

We already have

innit

Old May 28th 04, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"dave F" schreef in bericht
If you feel you want to try to reduce petrol prices, try the following
suggestion :

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol prices
to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Philip
Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

snip: idea to force petrol prices down

Your proposal does make sense (except for the chainletter part). However, I
believe that the oil companies aren't the only ones to blame. At least in my
country (Holland), the prices are kept extremely high mainly because of
taxes. Petrol cost about 90p over here (1.35 Euros). In Belgium, taxes are
lower. The difference is about 0,10 Euro (7p). In places like Luxembourg and
Andorra, petrol is even cheaper. And it all comes from the same Shell, Esso
or BP plant in Rotterdam. In the US, petrol is almost free (to European
standards, at least). Same companies, same oil producing countries.

So I guess we should not punish the oil companies but we should punish the
gouvernments for their tax-policies. It might be a bit more difficult, but
we really should convert our cars to burn alcohol instead of petrol. At
least here in Holland, alcohol for cleaning purposes* can be bought cheaply
and without tax (except VAT, of course).

* Don't come to Holland to buy cheap alcohol and mix your own drinks; I am
referring to a product called "spiritus" which is a mixure of ethanol
("ordinary alcohol") and methanol (the stuff they use to power Indicars).
The methanol is added to prevent it from being used for consumption since
methanol is highly toxic

greetings,
hgrm

Old May 29th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Han Monsees
writes

"dave F" schreef in bericht
[...]

www.abd.org.uk is running a campaign to force down taxation on fuel - go
join up.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old May 29th 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Seanie O'Kilfoyle wrote in message

"dave F" wrote in message
If you feel you want to try to reduce petrol prices, try the following
suggestion :

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer.

We already have

oh dear! where are you?

Old May 29th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:10:52 +0100, Andrew P Smith
wrote:

www.abd.org.uk is running a campaign to force down taxation on fuel - go
join up.

And if they're successful, whichever government it is will just tag
the lost revenue elsewhere. In a way, it might be better to abolish
all "hidden" taxes and just bung everything on income tax, but they'll
never do that, because it would make the overall burden too
apparent....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old May 29th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Nick Cooper wrote:
In a way, it might be better to abolish all "hidden"
taxes and just bung everything on income tax, but they'll
never do that, because it would make the overall burden too
apparent....

For a lot of people income tax is unavoidable, but there's an awful
lot more who get more than a little of their income cash-in-hand.
From an economic pov petrol is a wonderful thing to tax as you have
almost total knowledge of the supply chain so, at a guess, 99% of
the tax that should be collected actually is.

--
Tony Bryer

Old May 29th 04, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Nick Cooper wrote:
In a way, it might be better to abolish all "hidden"
taxes and just bung everything on income tax, but they'll
never do that, because it would make the overall burden too
apparent....

For a lot of people income tax is unavoidable, but there's an awful
lot more who get more than a little of their income cash-in-hand.
From an economic pov petrol is a wonderful thing to tax as you have
almost total knowledge of the supply chain so, at a guess, 99% of
the tax that should be collected actually is.

Actually, I think that excise duties are collected at the 'manafacturer'
point so duties are collected on some product that ultimately
becomes wastage so you could say that more than 100% is
collected

tim

Old May 30th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick Cooper wrote:

And if they're successful, whichever government it is will just tag
the lost revenue elsewhere. In a way, it might be better to abolish
all "hidden" taxes and just bung everything on income tax, but they'll
never do that, because it would make the overall burden too
apparent....

Coincidentally, for standard rate taxpayers, today is the day when you stop
earning money for the government and start earning it for yourself.

In each year, almost 5 months worth of your salary goes in tax!

Old May 30th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Stimpy wrote:
Nick Cooper wrote:

And if they're successful, whichever government it is will just tag
the lost revenue elsewhere. In a way, it might be better to
abolish all "hidden" taxes and just bung everything on income tax,
but they'll never do that, because it would make the overall burden
too apparent....

Coincidentally, for standard rate taxpayers, today is the day when
you stop earning money for the government and start earning it for
yourself.

In each year, almost 5 months worth of your salary goes in tax!

That can't be right; it would imply an average tax rate of 41%. I think
you'll find that such calculations start at the beginning of the UK tax
year, 6th April.

--
Richard J.