Old June 3rd 04, 07:40 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Default No Puter' No Flights..

Computer failure grounds flights
Most flights from UK airports have been suspended following an air traffic
control computer failure, National Air Traffic Services has confirmed.
It says flights have been grounded so that controllers can prioritise on
planes already in the air, but that air safety is unaffected.

Manchester and Bristol airports have said their systems are running again.

Many airports are advising people to check in as normal, but delays are
likely to continue throughout the day.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/3772077.stm

Old June 4th 04, 04:33 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london
jj jj is offline

Seanie O'Kilfoyle pretended :
"jj" wrote in message
news:mn.1b027d4666cb59fe.11545@kickingGaysonsArse. c...
explained on 6/3/2004 :
Computer failure grounds flights
Most flights from UK airports have been suspended following an air traffic
control computer failure, National Air Traffic Services has confirmed.
It says flights have been grounded so that controllers can prioritise on
planes already in the air, but that air safety is unaffected.

Manchester and Bristol airports have said their systems are running again.

Many airports are advising people to check in as normal, but delays are
likely to continue throughout the day.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/3772077.stm

So what dickhead

--
mbouhahaha

GAYson Lamb-pou, the *fake* jj returns

I'm twice the SWAT you are you Irish *******, watch as I storm into the
bank and single-handidly kill all the terrorists RAMBO-style.

--
mbouhahaha

Old June 4th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Default No Puter' No train tickets

I know just how they felt at Heathrow. A couple of weeks ago I
wanted totake a train. The screen on the ticket machine, instead of
the normal information said, "Windows NT, logging in", and then
"sorry, no service". It was still "sorry, no service" several days
later.

The air traffic control people are wise in sticking to a computer
system that's older than Microsoft.

Jeremy Parker

Old June 5th 04, 02:12 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Default Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints

"Jeremy Parker" wrote in message
I know just how they felt at Heathrow. A couple of weeks ago I
wanted totake a train. The screen on the ticket machine, instead of
the normal information said, "Windows NT, logging in", and then
"sorry, no service". It was still "sorry, no service" several days
later.

/rant on/
Pretty OT, so apologies. About two weeks ago I arrived at Stansted at about
23:00 (easyjet flight from Munich). Had a minicab booked but no sterling, so
off to the cashpoints to get a bit of dosh. AFAIK there are three cashpoints
at Stansted, none of which are anywhere near the arrivals gate, all next to
each other hidden around the side of a bureau de change and on this occasion
all out of service. (wifey was impressed, "jump out of bed and meet me at
the door with 30 quid to pay for the cab please love" we still laugh about
it today) Coming from Munich, where there are shedloads of cashpoints (the
first you come across is immediately outside the arrivals gate) this came as
a bit of a shock until I switched from German expectations to English
expectations. Why is it that we settle for such crap service in this
country? Any visitor arriving is going to want some cash, the cashpoint
should be there in front of them when they come through the gate and if
we're only going to have three fairly well hidden cashpoints in an airport
the size of Stansted, at least make sure that one of them is working!
/rant off/
--
Cheers, Steve.

Old June 5th 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

[...]

Stanstead init, where all the pikey flights go :-)
--
ZK - When I die accelerate my body to light speed, I always wanted a burial
at c

Old June 8th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Default Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes
AFAIK there are three cashpoints
at Stansted, none of which are anywhere near the arrivals gate, all next to
each other hidden around the side of a bureau de change and on this occasion
all out of service.

I arrived at Gatwick North last week, and also needed cash for a taxi.
There are two cash machines opposite the exit from customs (where all
the taxi drivers wait for their customers), but both were out of action.
Downstairs in the shopping mall are three more, and all of them were
also out of action!!
Old June 8th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london
Al Al is offline

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes
AFAIK there are three cashpoints
at Stansted, none of which are anywhere near the arrivals gate, all next
to each other hidden around the side of a bureau de change and on this
occasion all out of service.

I arrived at Gatwick North last week, and also needed cash for a taxi.
There are two cash machines opposite the exit from customs (where all
the taxi drivers wait for their customers), but both were out of action.
Downstairs in the shopping mall are three more, and all of them were
also out of action!!

ATMs all rely on telephone lines. When one goes down, it is frequent that
all nearby ATMs also go down.

That's why sensible folk carry spare cash.
--
Al
Old June 9th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

In message , Al
writes
ATMs all rely on telephone lines. When one goes down, it is frequent that
all nearby ATMs also go down.

I almost mentioned that I didn't think it was that then phone lines were
down, as they were happy to do statements, but not issue cash.

That's why sensible folk carry spare cash.

And if you've just flown in from foreign parts?