Old June 10th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube fare prices

This is going to sound extremely dumb, I know. But when did a simple Z1
tube fare increase to Two Pounds? Well, that's what the machine at
Paddington charged me to go to St Pancras.

Old June 10th 04, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
This is going to sound extremely dumb, I know. But when did a
simple Z1 tube fare increase to Two Pounds? Well, that's what the
machine at Paddington charged me to go to St Pancras.

Announced by TfL 19 Aug 2003, effective from 4 Jan 2004.

Alternatives for a Zone 1 tube journey are Oyster Pre-Pay (£1.60) or a
Zone 1 Carnet (10 tickets for £15).
--
Richard J.

Old June 10th 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
Alternatives for a Zone 1 tube journey are Oyster Pre-Pay (£1.60) or a
Zone 1 Carnet (10 tickets for £15).

Sounds like a good scheme to rip off the tourists. Is this what London
elected Ken to do?
Old June 10th 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes

Alternatives for a Zone 1 tube journey are Oyster Pre-Pay (£1.60) or a
Zone 1 Carnet (10 tickets for £15).

Sounds like a good scheme to rip off the tourists. Is this what London
elected Ken to do?

Yes.

tom

--
Sorry. Went a bit Atari Teenage Riot there. -- Andrew

Old June 10th 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
Alternatives for a Zone 1 tube journey are Oyster Pre-Pay (£1.60)

Not wishing to be a stick-in-the-mud I've bought one of these on my way
back. A few observations:

The application form doesn't allow for overseas addresses (but they
didn't seem to mind when I handed it in).

They don't have an opt-out for TFL spamming me. This is extremely dodgy.

When I got to Paddington (Hammersmith and City, platform 15) my next
train (for which I already had a paper ticket) was on platform 14. There
isn't an obvious Oyster validator at this location.

Nor do the displays say where the trains stop, you have to go down to
platform level, however this is First Link's (is that really what Thames
trains is called this week??) problem, not Oyster's. The destination was
"Langley", which I'm not very familiar with. An odd place to terminate a
train...

Old June 10th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Jim is offline

Alternatives for a Zone 1 tube journey are Oyster Pre-Pay (£1.60) or a
Zone 1 Carnet (10 tickets for £15).

Sounds like a good scheme to rip off the tourists. Is this what London
elected Ken to do?

What do you mean? I've only ever seen carnets being used by tourists!

Jim

Old June 10th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jim wrote:

Alternatives for a Zone 1 tube journey are Oyster Pre-Pay (£1.60) or a
Zone 1 Carnet (10 tickets for £15).

Sounds like a good scheme to rip off the tourists. Is this what London
elected Ken to do?

What do you mean? I've only ever seen carnets being used by tourists!

Jim

I used to use Carnets until Prepay came in (I know it's 10p more
expensive per journey but its more convenient and I sometimes do Z6
journeys at weekend which are tons cheaper). Popular with London uni
students living in Zone 1.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 10th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote

This is going to sound extremely dumb, I know. But when did a simple

Z1
tube fare increase to Two Pounds? Well, that's what the machine at
Paddington charged me to go to St Pancras.

£1.60 using Oyster Pre-pay, ten Z1 for £15 (tube carnet)

Not sure if a tube ticket bought with your rail ticket is cheaper

--
Mike D
Old June 11th 04, 12:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote

At a guess, the train actually terminates at Slough, but is a

stopping
service, so it's advertised as terminating at Langley to make

journeys
faster.

A similar thing applies at Kings Cross, where the slow services to
Cambridge are advertised as terminating at Foxton.

And at Waterloo, where Weybridge via Staines services are advertised as
terminating at Addlestone (and the return journey from Weybridge as
terminating at Putney).

(though these are short/long route rather than fast/stopping service
choices).

--
Mike D

Old June 11th 04, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jim
writes
I've only ever seen carnets being used by tourists!

I used carnets rather than a Travelcard several years ago, but expecting
a foreign tourist to get though at least eight out of ten tickets in one
trip seems a little unrealistic.