Old June 13th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Double Artic Trolleybus.

On 12 Jun 2004 13:34:09 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote
the following in:

I just had a thought. Would it be legal in the UK? I know
there were some "issues" with single artics when they first
appeared (something about couldn't charge fares on them).

That's alright, TfL still don't.

Eh?

Alex

Old June 14th 04, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , Ross
writes
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:34:26 +0000 (UTC), Graham Harrison wrote in
, seen in uk.transport.buses:

[...] I know there were
some "issues" with single artics when they first appeared (something about
couldn't charge fares on them).

That must have been a long time back, as I recall Midland Red (North)
and later Midland Red (West) charging (and collecting) fares on the
artics they got from South Yorks PTE, and I don't recall SYPTE or its
successors *not* charging (or collecting) fares on their original
artics (or their replacements).

I'm pretty sure that Graham was right, though and that when they were
introduced in Sheffield SYPTE were indeed unable to charge fares. (I
think that they ran on something called the "City Clipper" service in
Sheffield, a bit akin to WMPTE's "Centrebus".)

I also have a vague recollection of something similar happening in
Nottingham?

I'm trying to remember exactly when it was SYPTE bought its first
artics, but I can't. MR(N) had ex-SYPTE artics by the mid 80's - I
remember them appearing at Birmingham's Bull Ring Bus Station from
Cannock in the days when I was a schoolkid moonlighting in the MRN
travel centre there!

Ah, the old 853/854, ex Harper Brothers routes? :-) Didn't some of
those vehicles end up in Sydney?

Incidentally, on the earlier subject of trolleybuses reaching high
speeds, I travelled once on a trolleybus in the Czech Republic (in
Chomulotov, on the route to "Jerkov", would you believe?!) which ran on
a *motorway* for part of its length. Trying to imagine trolleybuses
taking to the Aston Expressway in Birmingham or the M32 in Bristol is
interesting!

--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old June 14th 04, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Clive wrote:

In message , Alex
writes

And how do you reverse them?

With skill and a lot of care.

Alternatively, with a lot of casualties.

tom

--
There's no future.

Old June 15th 04, 06:31 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Clive wrote:

In message , Alex
writes

And how do you reverse them?

With skill and a lot of care.

Alternatively, with a lot of casualties.

Doesn't it just fold up into itself from where it can swivel on the spot?

--
Brian
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop

Old June 15th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Boltar wrote:
Alex wrote in message

And how do you reverse them?

Not only that , whats to stop the powered rear section jackknifing the bit in
the middle which given it only has a single wheel is probably quite happy to
turn on its axis if given enough of a shove.

They could link the front and rear pivots with a sort of swing link
arrangement to ensure they both turned in sync by half of the total
amount, that would probably make it a lot more controllable. A similar
sort of simple arrangement to what Airfix used to make the wings swing
in parallel on their kit of an F111.

Ok, I'll get my rather venerable anorak ...

Nick
--
"My objective at this stage was to work about 3 days per week"
-- Richard Parker in http://web.ukonline.co.uk/richard/cv78.html

Old June 16th 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Nottingham's free buses WAS: Double Artic Trolleybus.

Ian Jelf wrote in message ...
snip

I'm pretty sure that Graham was right, though and that when they were
introduced in Sheffield SYPTE were indeed unable to charge fares. (I
think that they ran on something called the "City Clipper" service in
Sheffield, a bit akin to WMPTE's "Centrebus".)

I also have a vague recollection of something similar happening in
Nottingham?

Nottingham's free service was a political & environmental, not legal
decision,taken in the early 1970s. The 77/88 central circulars were
run for free to discourage car use in the city centre, the early
Leyland Nationals
used were often loaded to the gunwales and used to roll madly on tight
corners. The 88 had NCT livery with and orange roof and the 77 ditto
with a yellow roof;I suppose they were an ancestor of NCts current
route branding. The free services were such a success that NCT got
some seconhand Nationals from Plymouth to add to the fleet and once I
recall a 1963 Fleetline-NCME on the 88 route, a much more dignified
way to travel! The famous Lilac Leopards were also part of a park &
ride strategy, but there was a change of control in the parliament
house, and fares were charged on the 77/88 and the Lilac Leopards sold
off.

Stephen
Old June 17th 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , Stephen
Allcroft writes
Nottingham's free service was a political & environmental, not legal
decision,taken in the early 1970s. The 77/88 central circulars were
run for free to discourage car use in the city centre,

Thanks for the information, Stephen.

The famous Lilac Leopards were also part of a park &
ride strategy,

Now those I do remember. They had bus (rather than coach) seating,
looking most odd.

but there was a change of control in the parliament
house, and fares were charged on the 77/88 and the Lilac Leopards sold
off.

I remember quite a heated debate on that on "ATV Today" (now *that*
dates me if nothing else!).

Thanks again for "filling us (me) in".
Old June 17th 04, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote in message ...
In message , Stephen
Allcroft writes
Nottingham's free service was a political & environmental, not legal
decision,taken in the early 1970s. The 77/88 central circulars were
run for free to discourage car use in the city centre,

Thanks for the information, Stephen.

The famous Lilac Leopards were also part of a park &
ride strategy,

Now those I do remember. They had bus (rather than coach) seating,
looking most odd.

Not all of them, the first batch, IIRC were coach seated. I recall a
number of those (maybe 3) working on hire to Derby Corporation after
the January 1976 Blue Bus Fire. Most of the bus seated Leopards, if
not all of them, were in standard NCT green and cream, rather than all
over lilac with purple stripes.

I gather that the bus seated ones (Duple called them Dominant E) were
bought because of delivery delays with double decks.

but there was a change of control in the parliament
house, and fares were charged on the 77/88 and the Lilac Leopards sold
off.

I remember quite a heated debate on that on "ATV Today" (now *that*
dates me if nothing else!).

I'm nearly as dated. I remember that, and Tom Coyne on Midlands Today,
and the start of Tiswas,just on ATV to start with... But I did live in
Derby from 1974-6 (left just before my 10th birthday).

Thanks again for "filling us (me) in".

nae bother

stephen
Old June 24th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

gather that the bus seated ones (Duple called them Dominant E) were
bought because of delivery delays with double decks.

Yes these had a short holiday in Edinburgh with Lothian.
Kevin

---