Old June 30th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London to Bath, one-way?

I'm beginning to sketch out our next trip to England and Wales, planning to
fly into London, see some of what we missed the last time - then head west
to Bath, hire a car and enjoy the west coast, crash in Portmeirion for a
bit, ferry over and fly out of Dublin.

I see British Rail as an option to get from London to Bath, but am convinced
there has to be a cheaper way than the £89-111 per person the website
showed - at those rates, hiring the car from London could well be less
expensive, and we'd have the freedom to swing by Stonehenge again if the
mood struck.

Thanks as always for your insights.

Old June 30th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Fustanella" wrote in message
I'm beginning to sketch out our next trip to England and Wales, planning

fly into London, see some of what we missed the last time - then head west
to Bath, hire a car and enjoy the west coast, crash in Portmeirion for a
bit, ferry over and fly out of Dublin.

I see British Rail as an option to get from London to Bath, but am

convinced
there has to be a cheaper way than the £89-111 per person the website
showed - at those rates, hiring the car from London could well be less
expensive, and we'd have the freedom to swing by Stonehenge again if the
mood struck.

Thanks as always for your insights.

I don't know where you get the figure of £89 from - the most expensive
single (Standard Open) is only £45 and there may well be cheaper tickets
available if you are travelling off-peak and can book in advance.

Peter Smyth

Old June 30th 04, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:
[...]

True. The cheapest is an Apex Single at £18.50. To see what times/dates
would give you the best value, go to www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk and
click on the "Buy tickets" link on the right of the screen. First Great
Western are the train operator for London Paddington to Bath Spa.
--
Richard J.

Old June 30th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I don't know where you get the figure of £89 from - the most expensive
single (Standard Open) is only £45 and there may well be cheaper tickets
available if you are travelling off-peak and can book in advance.

Let's see if I can retrace my steps.

Aha. Rail Europe's website lists in US$, not pounds. My mistake, and sincere
apologies for the confusion.

Even so, I wouldn't think there's a need for me to pay a surcharge to a
company like theirs with so many trains running. Are there non-train options
I should consider, though?

Old June 30th 04, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

True. The cheapest is an Apex Single at £18.50. To see what times/dates
would give you the best value, go to www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk and
click on the "Buy tickets" link on the right of the screen. First Great
Western are the train operator for London Paddington to Bath Spa.

Thank you very much. I've saved that link for the trip.

Old July 1st 04, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Fustanella" wrote in message
I don't know where you get the figure of £89 from - the most expensive
single (Standard Open) is only £45 and there may well be cheaper tickets
available if you are travelling off-peak and can book in advance.

Let's see if I can retrace my steps.

Aha. Rail Europe's website lists in US$, not pounds. My mistake, and

sincere
apologies for the confusion.

Even so, I wouldn't think there's a need for me to pay a surcharge to a
company like theirs with so many trains running.

It's just like air travel: there are price options, depending on when you
book.

Are there non-train options
I should consider, though?

I don't recommend hitchhiking if you've got luggage.

:-)

--
Brian
The last time I used my Ouija board, we actually got the thing to work,

Old July 1st 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I don't recommend hitchhiking if you've got luggage.

It's a bit of a walk too.

Old July 1st 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Fustanella" wrote in message
I don't know where you get the figure of £89 from - the most expensive
single (Standard Open) is only £45 and there may well be cheaper tickets
available if you are travelling off-peak and can book in advance.

Let's see if I can retrace my steps.

Aha. Rail Europe's website lists in US$, not pounds. My mistake, and

sincere
apologies for the confusion.

Even so, I wouldn't think there's a need for me to pay a surcharge to a
company like theirs with so many trains running. Are there non-train

options
I should consider, though?

Well there is always the coach at £14.50 www.nationalexpress.com but it
takes 3h15m compared to 1h30m for the train.

Peter Smyth

Old July 2nd 04, 02:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Smyth
writes

Well there is always the coach at £14.50 www.nationalexpress.com but it
takes 3h15m compared to 1h30m for the train.

I have travelled once on National Express. I wouldn't recommend that
anyone put up with the same experience.
--
Clive
Old July 6th 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Well there is always the coach at £14.50 www.nationalexpress.com but it
takes 3h15m compared to 1h30m for the train.

I have travelled once on National Express. I wouldn't recommend that
anyone put up with the same experience.

I agree. I'd only use them if the alternative was a Fraser Eagle rail
replacement jalopy via various village lanes and small town centres.