Old July 4th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
DJ DJ is offline

Default Leicester Square Station

The current refurbishment of Leicester Square station has completely
transformed it - the station is now much more pleasant and can only help in
improving the Underground's image. Was this refurbishment triggered by LUL
or by the Infraco? If the latter, is this the type of station modernisation
that all stations are due to receive within the next few years?

DJ.

Old July 4th 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

When was it refurbed?

I have been away from London for a little over a week now - it must have
been a very quick refurbishment

Old July 4th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
DJ DJ is offline

"Chris" wrote in message
When was it refurbed?

I have been away from London for a little over a week now - it must have
been a very quick refurbishment

The lower concourse area and escalator shaft have been completely redone
with new tiles and lighting. It has been going on for quite a while now. The
ticket hall and platforms haven't been done yet, however the placement of
scaffolding outside the entrances indicate the ticket hall will be done
soon.

DJ.

Old July 4th 04, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"DJ" wrote the following in:

The current refurbishment of Leicester Square station has
completely transformed it - the station is now much more pleasant
and can only help in improving the Underground's image.

Agreed. It's a massive improvement and there is now a feeling when
walking through the refurbished parts of the station of "ooh, isn't
this nice".

--
message by Robin May-Silk and his close friend, Robert Kilroy-Kotton
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

Would you take the office of relief?:
http://robinmay.fotopic.net/p4600200.html

Old July 5th 04, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:58:33 GMT, "DJ" wrote:

The current refurbishment of Leicester Square station has completely
transformed it - the station is now much more pleasant and can only help in
improving the Underground's image. Was this refurbishment triggered by LUL
or by the Infraco? If the latter, is this the type of station modernisation
that all stations are due to receive within the next few years?

I hate to tell you this but it isn't a refurbishment. It is actually two
projects - one to deal with the low level corridors or open sewers as
they were. The second was to the deal with the escalator shafts. Both
were initiated by LU and taken on by the Infraco as part of transferred
obligations. As I use the station every day I agree it is an improvement
but the tide marks do show and the water ingress has not really been
properly resolved - look at the stain marks on the staircases.

The scaffolding is to prop up the canopy that a lorry drove into. This
work has been approved (for building consent) by Westminster Council and
should happen soon but the canopy will be a bit smaller to reduce the
collision risk.

As for the platforms and ticket hall then that has to wait. There is a
proposal to enlarge the ticket hall and entrances at Leicester Square
but that will be a major scheme and depends on whether Uncle Ken gets a
wodge of cash from lovely old Gordon. I'm not sure when the PPP
specified refurb is due for Leicester Square.
--
Paul C

Old July 5th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Corfield
writes
[...]

Went through LS station today for the first time in ages and yes the
re-furb has made a real difference.

Excellent!
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old July 5th 04, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The current refurbishment of Leicester Square station has
completely transformed it - the station is now much more pleasant
and can only help in improving the Underground's image. Was this
refurbishment triggered by LUL or by the Infraco? If the latter,
is this the type of station modernisation that all stations are
due to receive within the next few years?

I hate to tell you this but it isn't a refurbishment.

snip

As for the platforms and ticket hall then that has to wait. There
is a proposal to enlarge the ticket hall and entrances at Leicester
Square but that will be a major scheme and depends on whether Uncle
Ken gets a wodge of cash from lovely old Gordon. I'm not sure when
the PPP specified refurb is due for Leicester Square.

According to TubeFuture on the LU website, Tube Lines say they will have
"modernised" the station, including the escalators, by 2006.
--
Richard J.