Old August 31st 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Anyone know about Sat Nav - Tom Tom, etc ?

I'm looking to buy a small PDA type sat nav system that is portable and
that I can use for those out of town / suburban runs that I get.

I was thinking about getting Tom Tom Navigator with a suitable iPaq.
Went to look in Halfords who have a Medion System for £350.

Tried Ebay but was totally confused by the various items on sale. I
don't know what I need, only that I don't need the latest all singing
all dancing, but do want something that still has some upgrade life in
it

I am completely illiterate when it comes to PDA's so any advice on the
hardware and software from any one who has experience of these things
much appreciated. Looking to spend as much under £500 as I can.

Mike
P.S. I have the knowledge for central London but need help when I go out
to the suburbs - which is quite often as I work nights.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Old August 31st 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:28:56 +0100, Mike Hughes
wrote:

I'm looking to buy a small PDA type sat nav system that is portable and
that I can use for those out of town / suburban runs that I get.

I was thinking about getting Tom Tom Navigator with a suitable iPaq.
Went to look in Halfords who have a Medion System for £350.

I have a Toyota previa with built in satnav. It is supposed to have
inputs from speed sensors and steering sensors. One day my boss came
over from Holland with his PDA running tomtom. We had them both
running together with the same destination set on a trip over the
pennines on the small roads.Without fail they came up with identical
directions at the same time the PDA usually less than a second later.

One could have been forgiven for thinking they were using the same
basic "engine" and the same basic map (which might I suppose be the
OS!).

P.S. I have the knowledge for central London but need help when I go out
to the suburbs - which is quite often as I work nights.

They are very useful devices even after going to the same customers
for 17 yeras I find it handy.

DG
Old August 31st 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , Steve Firth says...

Mike Hughes wrote:

I was thinking about getting Tom Tom Navigator with a suitable iPaq.
Went to look in Halfords

Don't look in Halfords, they are feckign expensive.

Try http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/

who have agood website with a wide variety of packages at reasonable
prices.

FWIW the Medion PDA is a complete dog.

I recommend getting an HP iPaq 2210 as the PDA because it has both SD
Card and Compact Flash sockets as well as Bluetooth. This gives you the
widest choice of which GPS unit to buy. Best value IMO are the Haicom CF
card units.

Then it's your choice of Nav software. Tom Tom is good but very
expensive, I think Info Map is a good compromise, avoid Kane which is
dire rubbish. And as for Micro$loth "Pocket Streets", words fail me.
It's the worst thing I've seen, ever, anywhere. Absolutely useless.

I'd endorse that, I use precisely that system - bought mine in the US. Tom tom
is brill...

Old August 31st 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:37:46 on
Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Derek * remarked:
I have a Toyota previa with built in satnav. It is supposed to have
inputs from speed sensors and steering sensors.

What those do is allow the system to continue working in mostly urban
environments with lots of buildings, where the view of the sky is
obscured.

One day my boss came over from Holland with his PDA running tomtom. We
had them both running together with the same destination set on a trip
over the pennines on the small roads.

Which doesn't describe roads in the Pennines.

Without fail they came up with identical
directions at the same time the PDA usually less than a second later.

One could have been forgiven for thinking they were using the same
basic "engine" and the same basic map (which might I suppose be the
OS!).

Very likely. I had a Honda with Satnav and it undoubtedly used the same
mapping as Microsoft MapPoint - it had the same silly mistakes in the
data!
Old August 31st 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:24:07 on Tue,
31 Aug 2004, Tony Bryer remarked:
I had a Honda with Satnav and it undoubtedly used the same mapping
as Microsoft MapPoint - it had the same silly mistakes in the
data!

They may (or may not) have been deliberate. It's standard practice with
maps to introduce small errors so that they can be later be used to
prove copyright violations. But if it wanted to send you up the M25 the
wrong way perhaps not!

I don't have a view as to whether the errors were deliberate or not. But
they were the same! In particular, the street I lived in was numbered
back to front - ie No1 was at the wrong end. I assume they use some kind
of interpolation algorithm, rather than actually have every house in the
USA in their database!

Old August 31st 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 31 Aug 2004:

I'm looking to buy a small PDA type sat nav system that is portable and
that I can use for those out of town / suburban runs that I get.

I was thinking about getting Tom Tom Navigator with a suitable iPaq.
Went to look in Halfords who have a Medion System for £350.

We got a Garmin system, which doesn't need a PDA to function; it's a bit
elderly now, but still works very well.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old September 1st 04, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Joanne wrote:

Then it's your choice of Nav software. Tom Tom is good but very
expensive, I think Info Map is a good compromise, avoid Kane which is
dire rubbish. And as for Micro$loth "Pocket Streets", words fail me.
It's the worst thing I've seen, ever, anywhere. Absolutely useless.

I'd endorse that, I use precisely that system - bought mine in the
US. Tom tom is brill...

I can also recommend the 'freestanding' Tom Tom Go. It includes the Tom Tom
Navigator software, maps etc in a neat, self contained wedge shaped unit

Old September 1st 04, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Mike,
I have recently bought Tomtom Go through Amazon for £425 and highly
recommend it. Details for it are here.
http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...D=0&Language=1
Not quite the same as a PDA but well worth a look.
Reg
Old September 1st 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

You could also look in:

alt.satellite.gps

Where there is considerable discussion.

The only thing that puts me off TomTom Go is the touch screen. There
are also places where you can get the Software with a PDA for less
than TTG's current prices.

There is also a shop south of Heathrow (3M?) where you can see the
various systems.....

JohnK

Sat Nav v the taxi knowledge Mike Hughes London Transport 21 January 21st 11 08:18 AM
OT - Rail passengers are stranded by sat-nav Basil Jet London Transport 1 August 22nd 09 09:20 PM
Does anyone know what is up with the Central Line at the moment? london-lass London Transport 23 December 2nd 06 08:15 PM
fs tom tom 3 Stevr London Transport 1 March 20th 05 11:10 PM
Anyone know about East London Line Project progress? Dominic London Transport 6 February 29th 04 07:32 PM