Old September 15th 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Blockade of cross London Thameslink services from Saturday 11th September 2004 until 2005

In article , James wrote:
Clive Page wrote in message ...

But about a year ago one of the WH signallers did manage to route a
Thameslink train across a non-electrified cross-over near Flitwick. As
a result services were badly disrupted for around 24 hours, and I got
home a couple of hours late.

I remember that day well. My 2-car 158 from Leicester to Birmingham
was absolutely crush loaded.

Are you saying that MML services were blocked back as far north as Leicester? There must be more
signal sections between Leicester and Bedford than the total number of trains in the MML fleet.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old September 15th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jock Mackirdy" wrote in message
In article , James wrote:

I remember that day well. My 2-car 158 from Leicester to Birmingham
was absolutely crush loaded.

Are you saying that MML services were blocked back as far north as

Leicester? There must be more
signal sections between Leicester and Bedford than the total number of

trains in the MML fleet.

Presumably passengers were told that if they travelled towards St Pancras
they'd get stranded at Bedford, so were advised to travel via Nuneaton and
WCML.
Peter

Old September 21st 04, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:55:59 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:
Peter Lawrence wrote:
On 9 Sep 2004 22:46:46 +0100, Clive Page wrote:
eurostardriver writes

Kentish Town or West Hampstead provide useful interchanges onto LUL,
but some clever person has decided Thameslink services will not call
at these stations between 07.30 and 09.30 to prevent overcrowding.
Doesn't make much sense to me as this means all passengers will be
forced into the Kings Cross/St Pancras area making the overcrowding
there 3 times worse.

I quite agree: it seems quite crazy.......

Can anyone think of the real reason for this closure?

I'm not sure on the details but I think some combination of the
following might apply :-

a) increased congestion at the interchange locations and on the Jubilee
and Northern lines.

I could understand this excuse if it happened in the PM peak, but not
the AM peak. LU are perfectly capable of controlling entry into the
station.

b) West Hampstead LU station is being modernised at present so
overloading an already small station which has works going on is perhaps
not the best idea.

A result of insufficient cooperation IMO - Thameslink and LU should have
got together to demand the SRA fund the hastening of those works to
finish them before the Thameslink closure.

c) a possible concern about track capacity if Thameslink trains have to
stop for much longer than normal while people change lines - St Pancras
should be better able to cope as it's the terminal.

St.Pancras shouldn't be much better able to cope as it's only the
temporary terminal, with significantly reduced capacity. Just how long
do you envisage trains stopping for at WH and KT?

d) as said by someone else - KX / SP has more lines to distribute the
traffic plus there is the link to the southern section of the line.

So many passengers would continue to use it, thus weakening the already
flimsy arguments against stopping at WH and KT.

North London Line blockade Peter Lawrence[_2_] London Transport 41 August 23rd 08 02:00 PM
HEATHROW AIRPORT - PUBLIC TRANSPORT SERVICES - 2005/2006 Richard J. London Transport 0 December 20th 05 08:01 PM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM
'Structrual damage' at Baker Street AM Friday 11th Feb Martin J London Transport 4 February 14th 05 06:10 PM
Open House Weekend 18th and 19th September 2004 John Rowland London Transport 9 August 30th 04 08:16 PM