Old September 25th 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

Phil Richards wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson
ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:
Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park
Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Also Manor House
South Tottenham - Seven Sisters

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

Of course, if they had usable interchanges, they'd need frequent and
longer trains to carry the passengers they'd divert from overloaded
tube trains.

Colin McKenzie

Old September 26th 04, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Phil Richards wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:
Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park

Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Also Manor House

South Tottenham - Seven Sisters

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

Of course, if they had usable interchanges, they'd need frequent and
longer trains to carry the passengers they'd divert from overloaded tube
trains.

Colin McKenzie

The problem with this is that the Goblin is earmarked as a freight route
rather than a passenger one, and in order to increase passenger service
frequency on the North London Line, the Goblin will have to take more
freight - condemning it to an ever-poor passenger service.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old September 26th 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stansted to Barking

Alan (in Brussels) wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 24 Sep 2004:

IOW, you may well prefer what seems like a longer overall journey if you can
be sure that typical train lateness has little impact on its overall
duration. And maybe one day we'll have terminals on platforms that allow us
to check real-time running en-route ;-)

But why faff about when there are trains every 15 minutes from Stansted
to Liverpool Street, and then Tube trains every few minutes on the
Hammersmith & City Line to Barking? I can't think why you'd want to go
to Fenchurch Street in the first place?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old September 26th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:43:49 +0100 Colin McKenzie
said...

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

When it comes to interchanges (other than buses) then, no as that would
require huge reconstruction projects, re-routing lines etc.

However I think you'll find with "London Rail" rail services within the
TfL area will be going through some changes over the next few years.
Certainly TfL will have more say over service provision and (at long
last) hopefully are fares structure based on that of the tube - i.e. zone
to zone rather than point to point.

--
Phil Richards
London, UK
Old September 26th 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:26:35 +0100 Clive D. W. Feather clive@on-the-
train.demon.co.uk said...

8? It's under a minute from the platforms the Stansted Express uses to
the Eastbound H&C. Even worst case (Westbound H&C to platform 18) is
only 2 or 3 minutes.

No doubt the 8 minutes interchange is that built in to the journey
planner. May be for someone who has no luggage and is physically fit may
easily cope with the connection in a couple of minutes, other situations
may be different.

Old September 26th 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Phil Richards wrote:
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:26:35 +0100 Clive D. W. Feather
clive@on-the- train.demon.co.uk said...

8? It's under a minute from the platforms the Stansted Express
uses to the Eastbound H&C. Even worst case (Westbound H&C to
platform 18) is only 2 or 3 minutes.

No doubt the 8 minutes interchange is that built in to the journey
planner. May be for someone who has no luggage and is physically
fit may easily cope with the connection in a couple of minutes,
other situations may be different.

The Journey Planner defaults to "Average" walking speed, which is quite
slow. I usually (if I remember) change it to "Fast", which used to be
about 3 mph. However the new version of the TfL JP has changed my
normal 10-minute walk to my local tube station to 16 minutes, so I'm not
sure what they're up to.

I've just tried to see what they use for Liverpool Street transfer
times, but they seem to have stopped quoting transfer times, which
further damages my confidence in the JP. (It seems to be giving ever
more bizarre results. For a journey yesterday, it asked me to get off a
bus in mid-journey and wait for the one behind on the same route with
the same destination! It also warned me about Hammersmith & City Line
delays on my *bus* route.)
--
Richard J.

Old September 26th 04, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Phil Richards wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson
ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:
Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park

Over 1km away!

Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Those stations aren't close, but the line is. The GOBLIN should really
serve both.

Also Manor House

That's more a case of poor Tube design - 'tis the Piccadilly Line which
fails to have a station in the right place.

South Tottenham - Seven Sisters

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

Of course, if they had usable interchanges, they'd need frequent and
longer trains to carry the passengers they'd divert from overloaded
tube trains.

No, just frequent trains - or frequent trams!
Old September 26th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:43:49 +0100 Colin McKenzie
said...

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

When it comes to interchanges (other than buses) then, no as that would
require huge reconstruction projects, re-routing lines etc.

Not necessarily - there are a number of places where lines cross where
interchange stations could be built (or even where extra platforms could
be added to an existing station), without needing to move any lines.
Granted, this can still be quite expensive, but it's hardly 'huge
reconstruction'.

tom

--
VENN DIAGRAM THAT LOOK LIKE TWO BIG CIRCLES EQUAL BAD PUBLIC POLICY.

Old September 26th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:33:18 +0930 Aidan Stanger
said...

Also Manor House

That's more a case of poor Tube design - 'tis the Piccadilly Line which
fails to have a station in the right place.

Some while back I raised a similar point about why there is such a big
station-less gap on the Piccadilly Line between Manor House and Turnpike
Lane. The answer given was that stations were located near to tram
interchanges when the line got built.

Ideally a station in the vicinity of the junction of Green Lanes & St
Ann's Road would be best IMO.

--
Phil Richards
London N4, UK