Old October 31st 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Missed the bus heading towards Hook?

Having put the Aces of Spades on the map for a brief moment, perhaps
you can help me solve a mystery. The K1 bus used to do a lollipop
around the Hook Overpass (if I may call it that): if you missed any
bus going towards Hook you could catch it again 2 minutes later at the
opposite stop.

I distinctly remember the 152 which terminates at New Malden doing the
same thing in the 1980's terminating at Surbiton and visiting each of
the stops North of the roundabout on every journey in every direction.

Everyone says I'm wrong.

Such an arrangement must be commonplace but I've never seen it
anywhere else.

Old October 31st 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Troy
Steadman writes

Having put the Aces of Spades on the map for a brief moment, perhaps
you can help me solve a mystery. The K1 bus used to do a lollipop
around the Hook Overpass (if I may call it that): if you missed any
bus going towards Hook you could catch it again 2 minutes later at the
opposite stop.

And presumably you mean it was still going towards Hook?

I distinctly remember the 152 which terminates at New Malden doing the
same thing in the 1980's terminating at Surbiton and visiting each of
the stops North of the roundabout on every journey in every direction.

Everyone says I'm wrong.

Ian's bus stop has a history of 152 route changes:
http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/

Such an arrangement must be commonplace but I've never seen it
anywhere else.

If you mean a route that includes going out to, say, an industrial
estate, and then returns via the same road(s) then yes, that is indeed
common - a lot of the buses in the Heathrow area (most notably the 805)
do that, but there are plenty of other examples.

--
Paul Terry
Old October 31st 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote:

If you mean a route that includes going out to, say, an industrial
estate, and then returns via the same road(s) then yes, that is indeed
common - a lot of the buses in the Heathrow area (most notably the 805)
do that, but there are plenty of other examples.

One of those examples being at Beckton, where TfL routes 366 and 262
'lollipop' to serve a Sainsbury's supermarket.

Chris

Old October 31st 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Troy
Steadman writes

Having put the Aces of Spades on the map for a brief moment, perhaps
you can help me solve a mystery. The K1 bus used to do a lollipop
around the Hook Overpass (if I may call it that): if you missed any
bus going towards Hook you could catch it again 2 minutes later at the
opposite stop.

And presumably you mean it was still going towards Hook?

No, the K1 went from Surbiton to New Malden and vice-versa via the Hook
Roundabout which meant that the bus stops just north of the roundabout
(outside Southborough School and the shops nearby) all had both New
Malden and Surbiton bound buses stopping at them.

if you just missed the bus from the stop outside the school you could
still catch it by crossing over the road as it took a minute or so to go
around the roundabout

Old November 1st 04, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

Everyone says I'm wrong.

Ian's bus stop has a history of 152 route changes:
http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/

....and the phrase: "Buses towards Mitcham double run via Ace of Spades
Roundabout at Hook" under the 152. What a wowser of a website! Thanks
for that, yah boo and sucks to everyone who told me I was wrong!

Old November 1st 04, 07:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
news:c56e9845b8438be560d9af32bf32e56f.125090@mygat e.mailgate.org

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

Everyone says I'm wrong.

Ian's bus stop has a history of 152 route changes:
http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/

...and the phrase: "Buses towards Mitcham double run via Ace of Spades
Roundabout at Hook" under the 152. What a wowser of a website! Thanks
for that, yah boo and sucks to everyone who told me I was wrong!

Wait a minute though - why only buses towards Mitcham? How did the
people at The Ace of Spades get home again?

The entry in full is:

[25 Apr 81 - 03 Sep 82]

MITCHAM - Western Road, Colliers Wood, South Wimbledon, Raynes Park, New
Malden, Tolworth, Kingston Road, Red Lion Road, Thornhill Road, Hook
Road, Upper Brighton Road, Victoria Road, SURBITON STATION

Rerouted between Tolworth and Surbiton via Red Lion Road and Thornhill
Road instead of Ewell Road and Ditton Road. Buses towards Mitcham double
run via Ace of Spades Roundabout at Hook.

Old November 2nd 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--- CIG_BIG_CIG said:

Well in a similar vein the 285 stops at the same stop
outside Sainsburys at Hampton Nurseries (by the A316)
in both directions.

Does the 108 still do a lollipop for North Greenwich station?