Old December 4th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default White City Depot, the CLR power house, and the WLR-H&CR chord

I've ridden past the site of the new White City mall on the H&C twice
now and have three questions to ask about the area:

1. What is the ultimate fate of the CLR buildings? They appear to be
crammed with scaffolding of some kind and are otherwise untouched,
while the rest of the site is ground to pieces and made ready for
development. Are they going to be reused by the mall development in the
same way as the GWR works at Swindon?

2. Is White City Depot OOU? It appears even more dilapidated than its
photos depict; when is it going to be demolished and rebuilt?

3. I saw the one-time divergence of the chord between the WLR and the
H&CR; the building that once housed the junction IMR is still intact
and in good condition. Is there any demand for an LU service via this
route?

Old December 6th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
I've ridden past the site of the new White City mall on the H&C twice
now and have three questions to ask about the area:

I don't know the answes to your questions I'm afraid, but I've cot a
couple of my own:

The recently-demolished white elevated buildings; were they part of the
original exibition, or were they built later? I once got off an Oxford
Tube bus there to have a look at what was obviously once an entrance,
next to Shepherd's Bush station, but there was no way to see inside.
From the condition of the buildings they looked as if they had been out

of use for some time, but there was a dish on the side, near the front.
When were they last used, and what for.

What was the film which had some scenes in the old power house
building? I remember seeing it, looking down from the projection box,
some years ago, but I can't remember what film it was. I remember
recognising the building from photgraphs which I'd seen of it, and
became rather too interested in watching it; I almost missed a
changeover.

Old December 6th 04, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
writes

TheOneKEA wrote:
I've ridden past the site of the new White City mall on the H&C twice
now and have three questions to ask about the area:

I don't know the answes to your questions I'm afraid, but I've cot a
couple of my own:

The recently-demolished white elevated buildings; were they part of the
original exibition, or were they built later? I once got off an Oxford
Tube bus there to have a look at what was obviously once an entrance,
next to Shepherd's Bush station, but there was no way to see inside.
From the condition of the buildings they looked as if they had been out

of use for some time, but there was a dish on the side, near the front.
When were they last used, and what for.

In 1908 there was a Franco-British Exhibition at the site now occupied
partly by the BBC TV Centre on the west side of Wood Lane (the
exhibition site extended north to Du Cane Road). At the time the
Central Line (then the Central London Railway) ended at Shepherd's
Bush*, so the overhead building was built as a link to the exhibition
site. Hence the ornate entrance next to the tube station. There was a
passenger railway running inside the building, as well as exhibits.
This ended at a footbridge, long gone, across Wood Lane into the
exhibition grounds. The exhibition included a new sports stadium
where during the exhibition the 1908 Olympic Games were held. In 1914 a
British Empire Exhibition was held on the same site, with all of the
dominions and colonies having large exhibits. The vista of glittering
white buildings led to the area being called White City. Today the
Springbok pub, South Africa estate, Canada Way, Australia Road, India
Way etc. are reminders of the empire exhibition.

* On the exhibition's opening day, 14th May 1908, the Central London
opened its extension to Wood Lane (the station was, and may just about
still be, at the corner of what is now Ariel Way). So they needn't have
bothered with the overhead building. Parts of this were in use until
fairly recently; it housed the Vanderbilt tennis club, and the
northernmost surviving section was at one time used by BICC's Central
Research Laboratories. The Shepherd's Bush Green entrance building was
used as an office.

There was another Wood Lane station, on the opposite side of Wood Lane
opposite the Central Line station, on the Hammersmith and City Line.
This closed after a fire about fifty years ago.

--
Thoss
Old December 7th 04, 05:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
writes
What was the film which had some scenes in the old power house
building?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old December 7th 04, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article . com,
writes
What was the film which had some scenes in the old power house
building?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Bingo. I believe it was filmed in the power house.

Old December 8th 04, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.davros.org/rail/photos/woodlane/index.html

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the boards either side of the current
rail in http://www.davros.org/rail/photos/wo...e/wlane095.jpg are
to change the train radio channel from the depot to the running channel.

It may be that they're no longer used though; C stock on the Circle used to
change from Hammersmith Depot, to District and Met controllers but are now
fitted with manual change as trains sometimes spent half the journey talking
to the wrong controller, a mini-cab office, or no-one at all.

I think these are just wooden boards though
http://www.davros.org/rail/photos/wo...e/wlane042.jpg

Regards,
Dave

Old December 9th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've ridden past the site of the new White City mall on the H&C twice
now and have three questions to ask about the area:

1. What is the ultimate fate of the CLR buildings? They appear to be
crammed with scaffolding of some kind and are otherwise untouched,
while the rest of the site is ground to pieces and made ready for
development. Are they going to be reused by the mall development in the
same way as the GWR works at Swindon?

2. Is White City Depot OOU? It appears even more dilapidated than its
photos depict; when is it going to be demolished and rebuilt?

3. I saw the one-time divergence of the chord between the WLR and the
H&CR; the building that once housed the junction IMR is still intact
and in good condition. Is there any demand for an LU service via this
route?

There is a description of the site and its history at:

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Wo...0whitecity.htm

The Exhibition entrance at Shepherds Bush is not part of the station. It
was separate.

Tubeprune