Old December 5th 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ilford - Picture location query

My web page http://www.trolleybus.net/rh.htm contains two pictures
RH12 and RH13. Can anyone for sure say the location of these two
pictures? Any response would be appreciated.

David Bradley

Old December 5th 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Bradley" wrote:

My web page http://www.trolleybus.net/rh.htm contains two pictures
RH12 and RH13. Can anyone for sure say the location of these two
pictures? Any response would be appreciated.

In RH13, I'm wondering if the light blue/white painted building on the right
hand side of the road in the background, is the Pioneer Market, which is
still standing. If so, this view is looking towards Ilford station from a
location which is today the roundabout at the top of Ilford Lane. However,
this doesn't seem to fit with the destination of the trolleybus in picture
12.

Chris

Old December 6th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris Read wrote:
"David Bradley" wrote:

My web page http://www.trolleybus.net/rh.htm contains two pictures
RH12 and RH13. Can anyone for sure say the location of these two
pictures? Any response would be appreciated.

In RH13, I'm wondering if the light blue/white painted building on the right
hand side of the road in the background, is the Pioneer Market, which is
still standing. If so, this view is looking towards Ilford station from a
location which is today the roundabout at the top of Ilford Lane. However,
this doesn't seem to fit with the destination of the trolleybus in picture
12.

Chris

In RH12, just to the right of the bus is a hanging shop sign 'Books'
that connects in my brain to the old bookshop that, until recently, was
on the corner of Ilford Hill and Cranbrook Road, which would make the
block with Jason's Wonder Stores on the corner the present Sainsbury's:
the opposite view to your idea!
It would Pioneer Market on the left, where it looks as if there is some
sort of open-air market in the picture. Pioneer market may be still
standing, by the way, but not for long :-(

--
Nick H (UK)
Old December 7th 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:58:46 +0000, "Nick H (UK)"
wrote:

Chris Read wrote:
"David Bradley" wrote:

[...]

Nick especially, plase go to URL
www.trolleybus.net/subhtml/picturerh12.htm to catch up on all the
comments that have been made about these pictures.

David Bradley

Old December 8th 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Chris Read wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote:

[...]

Yes, very interesting, and having visited Sainsbury today I am sure of
this. The details of the window frames, the small break in the buildings
before the two-storey building of which the bookshop is part and the
architectural detail on the top of that building all are correct.

I'll try to take the camera and get a present-day picture for you
sometime soon :-)

It is a shame that the bookshop closed down, and a bigger shame that its
shopfront has been removed: it was very attractive. Should have been
listed :-( Anyone got a photo?

--
Nick H (UK)

Old December 8th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Chris Read wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote:

[...]

Having looked at the maps on the site, I realize that I mean *Roden
Street* and Cranbrook Rd. That section of road is now which is now
Chapel Road

[...]

Spam prevention...
my real domain name is mridangam
which is a dot-com.
You can email nick there.
Old December 8th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Chris Read wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote:

[...]

That would be appreciated.