Old December 7th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Direct phone numbers to WAGN stations

Is there a list of phone numbers of WAGN stations anywhere? I left my
briefcase on the train tonight and would love to phone the Hertford North
station to tell them it's on the way, but I can't find one anywhere.

M.

Old December 8th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:51:00 -0000, "M Patrick"
wrote:

Is there a list of phone numbers of WAGN stations anywhere? I left my
briefcase on the train tonight and would love to phone the Hertford North
station to tell them it's on the way, but I can't find one anywhere.

As far as I know, no railway station has a public telephone number any
more. I tried to get Plymouth recently for exactly the same reason,
but was efficiently rebuffed. It's a security matter, apparently, but
what the real story is I'm at a loss to comprehend.

M.

Old December 8th 04, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 02:13:37 GMT, Rupert Goodwins
wrote:

As far as I know, no railway station has a public telephone number any
more. I tried to get Plymouth recently for exactly the same reason,
but was efficiently rebuffed. It's a security matter, apparently, but
what the real story is I'm at a loss to comprehend.

The simple reason is that station staff are employed to perform station
duties, not to act as Telephonists, which is what they'd end up as if
the phone numbers were available.

According to nationalrail.co.uk, any Lost Property is forwarded to the
office at Cambridge Station, which you can phone on (01223) 453 729. The
office is open 0830 to 1700 Mondays to Fridays.

Thanks. National Rail would only give me that number as well. I'll give it
a go later today.

M.

Old December 8th 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

M Patrick wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 8 Dec 2004:

Thanks. National Rail would only give me that number as well. I'll give it
a go later today.

Sometimes you can go to the station you got off at, and ask, and they
will telephone the station at the end of the line for you, and ask them
to look out for your property. My husband did this a few years ago, and
the station staff at the end of the line held on to his stuff overnight
until he was able to go and fetch it next day.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 8th 04, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

According to nationalrail.co.uk, any Lost Property is forwarded to the
office at Cambridge Station,

Damn annoying it is to. I've left two things on a GN train, both coats, one
worth the expense and inconvenience of getting to Cambridge and the other
not. Be more helpful if they had the lost property office for GN trains at a
station on both branches, say Hitchin. (Yes I do realise I should have been
more careful and that I should be glad they don't just destroy it.)

Dave

Old December 8th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Liney" wrote in message
.. .

Damn annoying it is to. I've left two things on a GN train, both coats,
one worth the expense and inconvenience of getting to Cambridge and the
other not. Be more helpful if they had the lost property office for GN
trains at a station on both branches, say Hitchin. (Yes I do realise I
should have been more careful and that I should be glad they don't just
destroy it.)

I really liked that briefcase. Plus it had my winter scarf and important
notes. But I'll be damned if I'm going to go all the way to Cambridge to
collect it. The Lost Property office is only open Mondays 9-5 so train costs
and a half day off work wouldn't be worth it. I wonder if they'll send it to
Moorgate. If it's found. I called today and the Lost Property bloke couldnt
get in contact with Hertford North. Oh well.