Old January 20th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cunning escalator plan?

In message , at 08:24:29 on Thu, 20
Jan 2005, Mark Brader remarked:
English-speakers from North America may be able to figure out "Way Out",
but we do find it rather... well... way-out.

"this is the way out of the building", as opposed the "this is the way
into the building".

Seems clearer to me than "deplaning" and "landing momentarily" (*for* a
moment rather than *in* a moment, in UK English).

Old January 20th 05, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Seems clearer to me than ... "landing momentarily" (*for* a
moment rather than *in* a moment, in UK English).

Isn't that why so many people are jumping to their feet and queueing for
the door as soon as the plane hits the tarmac?
Old January 20th 05, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
"this is the way out of the building", as opposed the "this is the way
into the building".

I think "EXIT" is much clearer and shorter. Plus it doesn't have
surfer dude connotations. YMMV.

Seems clearer to me than "deplaning" and "landing momentarily" (*for* a
moment rather than *in* a moment, in UK English).

In the airlines' dreams, the plane *will* only be landing momentarily.
The most efficient airlines have turnarounds of 30 min or less.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old January 20th 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:51:46 on Thu, 20
Jan 2005, Michael Hoffman remarked:
In the airlines' dreams, the plane *will* only be landing momentarily.
The most efficient airlines have turnarounds of 30 min or less.

Odd then that I've heard the expression most on full service airlines
with 4 hr turnarounds. And that's not just inefficiency - if you are
shuttling between UK and USA daily, there will be perhaps two lots of 9
hrs in the air. The other 6hrs needs burning off somewhere, usually more
so at the "home" end of the shuttle.
Old January 20th 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[Michael Hoffman]:
In the airlines' dreams, the plane *will* only be landing momentarily.
The most efficient airlines have turnarounds of 30 min or less.

Odd then that I've heard the expression most on full service airlines
with 4 hr turnarounds.

I wasn't being entirely serious. The OED describes the usage of
"momentarily" you object to as "Chiefly N. Amer." but one of the
quotations is from Evelyn Waugh.
--
Michael Hoffman

Old January 20th 05, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:
Seems clearer to me than ... "landing momentarily" (*for* a
moment rather than *in* a moment, in UK English).

Isn't that why so many people are jumping to their feet and queueing for
the door as soon as the plane hits the tarmac?

In aviation circles, this is known as a "touch-and-go", or a "roller".

--
Simon Hewison
Old January 20th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Simon Hewison wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Isn't that why so many people are jumping to their feet and queueing
for the door as soon as the plane hits the tarmac?

In aviation circles, this is known as a "touch-and-go", or a "roller".

"Please remain seated until the aircraft has come to a complete stop at
the gate."

;-)