Old January 21st 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Default U-turn on horror poster

From: This is London
/*
Tube chiefs have been forced into an embarrassing U-turn after banning
posters for a horror film about murder on the Underground.
The adverts for Creep were not allowed on grounds of "taste and decency"
because they showed a bloody hand scraping down a train carriage window.
The ban was imposed despite the fact that London. Underground had
actually helped the film-makers shoot the British movie on location in
disused stations.
It was lifted today following the intervention of the Evening Standard.
But the producers of Creep say that the decision was "too little, too
late" because they have already paid for replacement posters in mainline
stations.
The film's publicists cannot get new posters up in time for its launch
next week.
Funded by the UK Film Council, Creep was directed by ex-EastEnders
scriptwriter Christopher Smith and stars German actress Franka Potente,
30, who appeared alongside Matt Damon in The Bourne Identity. Critics
have called it the best horror film set in the capital since American
Werewolf In London.
It plots the fate of a smart young woman who leaves a party to find a
less boring one but never arrives.
Drunks and sewage workers are shown being dragged into Tube tunnels and
cut up with a chainsaw. It was filmed in three disused stations - Down
Street near Green Park, Strand and Aldwych.
Producer Julie Bain said the poster ban was "highly amusing" because the
movie had been filmed with Tube bosses' permission. "It's a bit
ludicrous," she added. "This is fiction, not documentary. It's not based
on real events - if it is, we are all in trouble."
An LU spokesperson said today: "We co-operated fully with the making of
Creep and wish the film every success. A poster was submitted to our
advertisers in the summer but rejected on grounds of taste and decency.
Our advertisers always try to maintain the highest standards on behalf
of LU. We have since reviewed this issue and the Creep posters will be
allowed on the Tube."
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

Old January 22nd 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"This is London":
It was filmed in three disused stations - Down Street near Green Park,
Strand and Aldwych.

One suspects that this means "two disused stations". There have been
two stations called Strand, but only one of them is now closed, and
it's the same station later known as Aldwych. (The other, of course,
is now the Northern Line part of Charing Cross station.)
--
Mark Brader | "Oh, especially if it's accurate. There's nothing worse
Toronto | than *accurate*, ill-informed, irresponsible press
Old January 22nd 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 21 Jan 2005:

It was filmed in three disused stations - Down Street near Green Park,
Strand and Aldwych.

?? Surely Strand and Aldwych were two names for the same station, no?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old January 22nd 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote the
following in:

"Robin May" wrote in message

Having seen the trailer I'm pretty confident that Aldwych was
used and I'm absolutely certain that Charing Cross Jubilee was
used. If Down Street was used that means that there were indeed
three stations used, although they were named incorrectly in the
article.

You still expect accuracy in the substandard?

Well, when I saw the article with the incorrect station names I did
think to myself "ah, so the usual Evening Standard accuracy then".

--
message by Robin May. That egotism was getting old.

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old January 22nd 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Robins matching /May(es)?/ write:
Having seen the trailer I'm pretty confident that Aldwych was
used and I'm absolutely certain that Charing Cross Jubilee was
used. If Down Street was used that means that there were indeed
three stations used, although they were named incorrectly in the
article.

You still expect accuracy in the substandard?

Well, when I saw the article with the incorrect station names I did
think to myself "ah, so the usual Evening Standard accuracy then".

Ah so. In addition, when I checked the movie's Internet Movie
Database entry http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0381966/fullcredits
before submitting the item to them as new trivia, I found that the
producer "Julie Bain" quoted in the article is actually named Baines.
Old January 22nd 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Joe
writes

Drunks and sewage workers are shown being dragged into Tube tunnels and
cut up with a chainsaw.

I wonder what he has against sewage workers and why no LU platform
assistants?

--
Bob Adams - email address:
Old January 23rd 05, 04:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:26:10 +0000, Joe
wrote:

Funded by the UK Film Council, Creep was directed by ex-EastEnders
scriptwriter Christopher Smith and stars German actress Franka Potente,
30, who appeared alongside Matt Damon in The Bourne Identity. Critics
have called it the best horror film set in the capital since American
Werewolf In London.
It plots the fate of a smart young woman who leaves a party to find a
less boring one but never arrives.
Drunks and sewage workers are shown being dragged into Tube tunnels and
cut up with a chainsaw. It was filmed in three disused stations - Down
Street near Green Park, Strand and Aldwych.

Sounds like someone thinks it's long enough for people who have
actually seen it to forget about 'Deathline'....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk