Old January 23rd 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 'Digital' cameras on Upper Thames St (20mph zone) in City?

Does anyone know if the 20mph speed limit is being enforced? I went
through there yesterday at the prescribed 20 mph and cars were
overtaking me at 30-40 mph.

Old January 23rd 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cecil Cholmondley-Worsthorne" wrote in message

Does anyone know if the 20mph speed limit is being enforced?

Someone was busted by a camera there. I am not sure exactly when, but it was
in the last few months.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 3rd 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

"Cecil Cholmondley-Worsthorne" wrote...

Does anyone know if the 20mph speed limit is being enforced?

Someone was busted by a camera there. I am not sure exactly when, but it was
in the last few months.

Why is there a 20mph speed limit there?
Old February 4th 05, 05:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message

Why is there a 20mph speed limit there?

Good question, there are no pedestrians and no residences.

I'd like to know why Queen Street is blocked, converting Southwark Bridge
into a bridge that there is no reason to use. They certainly wouldn't build
a bridge today that isn't the shortest route from anywhere to anywhere [1],
so why instigate traffic management that turns an existing bridge into a
useless one?

[1] Apart from unused bridges built as part of abortive schemes.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 4th 05, 05:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

"Aidan Stanger" wrote...

Why is there a 20mph speed limit there?

Good question, there are no pedestrians and no residences.

I'd like to know why Queen Street is blocked, converting Southwark Bridge
into a bridge that there is no reason to use.

There is still much reason to use it, considering how important a road
Upper Thames Street is.

They certainly wouldn't build
a bridge today that isn't the shortest route from anywhere to anywhere [1],

Only because they make the bridges so expensive that nobody can afford
to build them! But the one planned to link the Greenwich Peninsula with
the Royal Docks would be rather less useful than Southwark Bridge now
is.

so why instigate traffic management that turns an existing bridge into a
useless one?

Were there traffic problems at the other end of Queen Street?

[1] Apart from unused bridges built as part of abortive schemes.

And unused half bridges, like the one at Beckton!

Old February 4th 05, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 06:02:21 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
.. .

Why is there a 20mph speed limit there?

Good question, there are no pedestrians and no residences.

I'd like to know why Queen Street is blocked, converting Southwark Bridge
into a bridge that there is no reason to use. They certainly wouldn't build
a bridge today that isn't the shortest route from anywhere to anywhere [1],
so why instigate traffic management that turns an existing bridge into a
useless one?

Southwark Bridge was considered a white elephant when it opened - I
thought it was a bit busier now.

Queen Street is blocked for the same reason that most other accesses
to the City are blocked. It's part of the 'Ring of Steel' to stop the
IRA making too much noise.

Old February 4th 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bonzo wrote:
Southwark Bridge was considered a white elephant when it opened - I
thought it was a bit busier now.

According to an "article" in that rag Metro yesterday, Southwark Bridge
is the least busiest of all the Central London bridges, and
(accordingly?) the safest for cyclists. (Incidentally, it's my bridge
of choice on the rare occasions that I drive into the City from home -
it's almost always empty because nobody knows how to get to it either
from the northern or southern ends...)

Queen Street is blocked for the same reason that most other accesses
to the City are blocked. It's part of the 'Ring of Steel' to stop the
IRA making too much noise.

Exactly so. It used to be quite a bit busier when it led straight up to
Bank.

Old February 7th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

"Cecil Cholmondley-Worsthorne" wrote...

Does anyone know if the 20mph speed limit is being enforced?

Someone was busted by a camera there. I am not sure exactly when, but it

was
in the last few months.

Why is there a 20mph speed limit there?

There is a major building project going on and in order to keep all the
lanes open and fit in the cranes that are needed, the existing lanes have
been narrowed. To protect cyclists in these restricted-width lanes, a 20 mph
speed control zone, enforced by SPECS Average Speed Cameras has been
installed and is being operated by City of London Police.