Old February 9th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:58:14 on Wed, 9
Feb 2005, Brimstone remarked:
But which version of English? Americans claim to speak Englsih, but
insist on deviating from the original.

Oddly enough, it's British English which has deviated from the
original, while American English has stagnated.

To be fair, I suspect that both preceeding statements have elements of
truth, depending on which words and phrases are being discussed.

Old February 9th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Brimstone wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 8 Feb 2005:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

Oh, I see. I have never been there, so wouldn't know.

Never been to Moorgate? Obviously you had a deprived childhood?

Definitely - I grew up in the country and "London" was really only
Knightsbridge and the area round Harrods.....

Would you believe I've been living down the road in South Kensington for
two-and-a-half years and I've still never been to Harrods...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 9th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 9 Feb 2005:

Would you believe I've been living down the road in South Kensington
for two-and-a-half years and I've still never been to Harrods...

You haven't missed anything! It is vastly inferior these days.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old February 9th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:
Brimstone wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 8 Feb 2005:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

Oh, I see. I have never been there, so wouldn't know.

Never been to Moorgate? Obviously you had a deprived childhood?

Definitely - I grew up in the country and "London" was really only
Knightsbridge and the area round Harrods.....

Would you believe I've been living down the road in South
Kensington for two-and-a-half years and I've still never been to
Harrods...

Well done. Mr Fayed's shop is on my banned list too.

--
Richard J.
Old February 9th 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Brimstone wrote:

"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message
In article , k wrote:
I don't. I speak English. Although our company has offices
throughout the world the "official" language is English. (As its an
American company it would be, after all "everyone speaks English
(American) don't they? :-))

Well, Ericsson, a Swedish-based and -owned multinational, also uses
English as its official language. So I think in practice, in the
business world, everyone really *does* speak English.

Similarly, I've just accepted a job with a small Stockholm-based company
95% staffed by Swedes and 100% owned by them (if I recall); its official
language is also English.

But which version of English? Americans claim to speak Englsih, but insist
on deviating from the original.

I'm unsure which, if any, variant of English is the official one in
either of the companies I mentioned. I suspect that in practice,
Ericssonites use whatever they're most accustomed to: American Ericsson
staff use US-style English, Commonwealth staff use British English, etc.

What Swedes use seems to depend on whether they paid more attention in
school (English is mandatory from 4th grade up, and almost exclusively
taught in the British variant) or to Hollywood movies. :-)

Or didn't pay attention at all, which has resulted in things like the
guy who arrived at the airport and said to the gentlemen who'd come
there to pick him up, "I am the Swedish VD you are waiting for." (VD =
verkställande direktör = managing director, or CEO)

Niklas
--
I mean, who could fail to enjoy doing Bristol - London along a
congested M4 in a 60mph steamroller?

Old February 9th 05, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Roland
Perry writes
But which version of English? Americans claim to speak Englsih, but insist
on deviating from the original.

Oddly enough, it's British English which has deviated from the
original, while American English has stagnated.

Neither statement is true; both have deviated from Middle English in
various ways, and of course ME is in turn a deviation from Old English.
There are some characteristics - notably pronunciation - where American
has deviated less.

Ask the Dutch: 10th century English (though called Frisian) is an
official language in the Netherlands.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 9th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , k wrote:
[...]

ROFL - I bet that raised the driver's eyebrows!!

Old February 9th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Mrs Redboots wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 9 Feb 2005:

Would you believe I've been living down the road in South Kensington
for two-and-a-half years and I've still never been to Harrods...

You haven't missed anything!

KRISPY KREME.

tom

--
eviscerated by obfuscation

Old February 9th 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 9 Feb 2005:

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Mrs Redboots wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 9 Feb 2005:

Would you believe I've been living down the road in South Kensington
for two-and-a-half years and I've still never been to Harrods...

You haven't missed anything!

KRISPY KREME.

Like I said, you haven't missed anything!

Old February 9th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article
, dated Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:24:25, seen in news:uk.transport.london, Tom

Anderson posted :

Incidentally, the ISO wants you to separate the elements with dashes and
to zero-pad, as in 2005-02-08.

ISO 8601:2000 specifies that the separators are hyphens; it does not
give the Unicode encoding. However, IIRC, a dash is not a hyphen.
Mostly, I expect that Unicode 0045 = ISO-7 45 will be used; that's the
well-known keyboard character commonly used for "minus".

I've not yet seen ISO 8601:2004.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms