Old February 13th 05, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:39:23 +0000, Ashley Brown
wrote:

.ic.ac.uk

Is that normally pronounced "Ick Ack Uck"?

Yes, and the Department of Computing is doc.ic.ac.uk, "Dock Ick Ack
Uck". DoC also once had a server called hock.doc.ic.ac.uk, hence "Hock
Dock Ick Ack Uck".

I believe at one point the Computing departmental society (DoCSoc) had an
email address of Dock Sock at Dock Ick Ack Uck.

Old February 13th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:58:01 +0000, Ashley Brown
wrote:

Yes, and the Department of Computing is doc.ic.ac.uk, "Dock Ick Ack
Uck". DoC also once had a server called hock.doc.ic.ac.uk, hence
"Hock Dock Ick Ack Uck".

I believe at one point the Computing departmental society (DoCSoc) had
an email address of Dock Sock at Dock Ick Ack Uck.

And they still do!

I presumed they would, but thank you for confirming it. I've had no
dealings with DoCSoc since 1999...
Old February 13th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote the following in:

Dave Newt wrote the following in:

Robin May wrote:
Dave Newt wrote the following
in:
To be honest, I suspect the dropping of ST&M was mainly to raise
the profile of the Business School who just spunked 25 mil up
Norman Foster on a new building.

Someone kill that man, he is responsible for the atrocity that
is the central spiral staircase in the LSE library.

Oh, I quite liked it, but then I was shown around it a few days
before it, and that was more for the purposes of "look at our new
cool thing" rather than actually trying to get any books.

It looks very nice...

This photo might clear things up. As you can see, it looks nice but the
steps are very strangely designed, they're very long and not very tall.
http://images.fotopic.net/y5i839.jpg

--
message by Robin May.
Drinking Special Brew will get you drunk in much the same way that

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old February 13th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Robin May
writes
The steps on the stairs are set at a distance which is about 1.5
times that of a normal person's stride. This seems to be true for
people of all heights and leg lengths.

A well-designed stairway has two verticals plus one horizontal
adding to 61cm. That is, in:

------+ A
+-+ :
| :
| :
| C~~~~~~D :
+--------+ :
+-+ :
| :
| :
| :
+--------+ B
+-+

the vertical distance AB plus the horizontal distance CD should be
61cm. This matches the leg articulation for the average adult.

Really? When exactly was this average leg articulation determined? Or
did someone make a rough guess of 2 ft some years ago, which sounds so
much more accurate when expressed to the nearest centimetre.

Excuse my cynicism; after writing the above, I measured both the
original Victorian staircase in my house and the newer one to our
6-year-old loft conversion. The old one, which doesn't feel quite
right, has AB+CD = 54cm, whereas the new one, which feels noticeably
better, measures .... 61cm!!

--
Richard J.

Old February 13th 05, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 13 Feb 2005:

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

.ic.ac.uk

Is that normally pronounced "Ick Ack Uck"?

According to my daughter, yes! She almost wished she'd gone there just
to have such a lovely e-mail address, and envied her friend, who had.
Of course, when her father was there, e-mail hadn't been invented!

Exactly! I spent about twelve years thinking how it would be cool to
have one and then when I finally got one, they rebranded it out of
existence! (They do still work though.)
Old February 14th 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 13 Feb 2005:

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

.ic.ac.uk

Is that normally pronounced "Ick Ack Uck"?

According to my daughter, yes! She almost wished she'd gone there just
to have such a lovely e-mail address, and envied her friend, who had.
Of course, when her father was there, e-mail hadn't been invented!

Exactly! I spent about twelve years thinking how it would be cool to
have one and then when I finally got one, they rebranded it out of
existence! (They do still work though.)

But if you actually tell someone your email address as "at ick ack uck"
then they have no idea what you mean by "ick" unless they're at Imperial
too (and some people don't know what you mean by "ack" either!).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 14th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Dave Newt wrote:

Mrs Redboots wrote:

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 13 Feb 2005:

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

.ic.ac.uk

Is that normally pronounced "Ick Ack Uck"?

According to my daughter, yes! She almost wished she'd gone there just
to have such a lovely e-mail address, and envied her friend, who had.
Of course, when her father was there, e-mail hadn't been invented!

Exactly! I spent about twelve years thinking how it would be cool to
have one and then when I finally got one, they rebranded it out of
existence! (They do still work though.)

But if you actually tell someone your email address as "at ick ack uck"
then they have no idea what you mean by "ick" unless they're at Imperial
too (and some people don't know what you mean by "ack" either!).

Anyone who matters knows! :-)

Actually, I *hate* saying ick ack uck, I just like the visuals (maaaaan).

It's a darn site easier to make a typo when typing "imperial" than "ic"
too.
Old February 14th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Feb 2005, Robin May wrote:

Dave Newt wrote the following in:

spunked 25 mil up Norman Foster

Someone kill that man, he is responsible for the atrocity that is the
central spiral staircase in the LSE library.

Oh, don't worry, he's in the line for gunishment - right behind Daniel
Libeskind.

tom

--
Restate my assumptions

Old February 14th 05, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Imperial College (was 02-28-2005 at Moorgate)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Dave Newt wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
Dave Newt wrote:

Richard J. wrote:

Some of us care deeply about commas, and are trying to work out
where this comma is supposed to go, or not go. How about an
explanation for the uninitiated?

It used to be called Imperial College, and was referred to as IC.
[...] However, this creates a false analogy with University College,
London, which has a comma in it and is commonly referred to as UCL.

On UCL's site www.ucl.ac.uk, they use UCL as the name almost
exclusively, even in the history ("175 years ago ... UCL was
founded"). Where the name is given in full, I haven't seen one
instance on their site where the comma is included.

You're right - they *must* have changed it. It always was with a comma.

There was a consultation about the name a few months ago: everyone got a
questionnaire with things like "How do refer to UCL to other people inside
it?", "Ditto but for people outside?", "What qualities do you associate
with the name?" and other inane marketroid nonsense. This was clearly
intended to provide input into some brand-sharpening exercise, so perhaps
that's when the comma was disappeared.

tom

--
Restate my assumptions