Old February 9th 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube doors not opening at station

Hello,

Hopefully somebody here can shed some light on this. Earlier this
evening I was on a northbound Northern Line train, wanting to get off at
Golders Green as normal. When the train pulled into the platform, there
was a very brief "beep", but the doors didn't open. After a minute or so
(the amount of time the doors would normally be open) the recorded voice
saying the train was leaving came on, and the train pulled away. There
was no announcement, apology or explanation from the driver at all - it
was if they hadn't noticed that none of the doors opened.

I could see up the length of the train, and it was all the carriages
that were affected by this, not just the one I was in. Quite a few
annoyed people got off at Brent Cross and went straight to the other
side to wait for a train back to Golders.

Any ideas why this would happen?

Cheers,
Kev

--
Kevin Davidson
UNIX/Oracle geek

Old February 10th 05, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:44:17 +0000, Kevin Davidson
wrote:

Hello,

Hopefully somebody here can shed some light on this. Earlier this
evening I was on a northbound Northern Line train, wanting to get

off at
Golders Green as normal. When the train pulled into the platform,

there
was a very brief "beep", but the doors didn't open. After a minute

or so
(the amount of time the doors would normally be open) the recorded

voice
saying the train was leaving came on, and the train pulled away.

There
was no announcement, apology or explanation from the driver at all -

it
was if they hadn't noticed that none of the doors opened.

snip

Any ideas why this would happen?

At a guess, the Train Op didn't stop in "just the right place" for

the
train to 'dock' and release the doors, and he or she wasn't paying
attention to the cab display to see that the doors needed to be

released
manually.

Cya,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

And how much do these highly skilled, responsible people get paid
again.

Kevin

Old February 10th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Kevin Davidson) wrote:

[...]

It's mot something I've had happen, although weird things occasionally
happen with the doors such as not getting a pilot light when all doors are
closed or the doors only closing on one unit, despite the close button
being held in (a second press is then required).

It could have been a computer blip. It sounds as though the driver pressed
the open buttons, waited, then pressed the close button as if carrying out
normal platform duties. The computer would have got the command to open
the doors, but it seems as though the computer didn't send the command. It
thought the doors were open and so was able to give the "mind the doors"
announcement when the close button was pressed.

I assume that the driver lost his doors closed visual (pilot light) and
the open buttons illuminated as normal, or the driver would have noticed
something strange. The driver should have noticed the fact that passengers
weren't getting off the train or that passengers waiting on the platform
(if any weren't getting on the train). Although (I'm assuming) he had all
the indications that the doors were open, he might have thought there were
no passengers about, especially if he wasn't looking at the monitor the
instant the doors opened.

When it's dark, it's very difficult to see the platform properly on the
monitor to be able to determine if people are standing there waiting.

Roger
(my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages
- if you think you should have had a reply/comment,
please e-mail me again. Ta!)

Old February 11th 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

The driver was too busy laughing at all his money to notice the cattle were
trapped.

Old February 12th 05, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kevin Davidson wrote:
Hello,

Hopefully somebody here can shed some light on this. Earlier this
evening I was on a northbound Northern Line train, wanting to get off

at
Golders Green as normal. When the train pulled into the platform,

there
was a very brief "beep", but the doors didn't open. After a minute or

so
(the amount of time the doors would normally be open) the recorded

voice
saying the train was leaving came on, and the train pulled away.

There

Is that a situation to push the emergency stop button?