Old February 19th 05, 05:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Speed Camera Avoidance

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:31:27 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

redtube wrote:
"redtube" wrote in message
So does anyone have any experience with this product? or similar
kind of thing.

Actually I just found a UK link to same product: 25 quid Is it
money worth spent or not?
Also I presume is illegal if they catch you having sprayed youir
plates with it??
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/photoblocker.htm

Did you read the Sale Conditions?

"2. The product is for off road use only and is of novelty value only.
It may be illegal to use this product on the road.
7. It is illegal to tamper or interfere with your vehicle number plate."

Besides, how would you test it without running the risk of a penalty +
points?

Old February 19th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:53:51 +0000, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Chris Tolley
writes

One frequently sees plates that are so filthy that no camera would pick
up any image.

The most common type of device (GATSO) makes an infra-red image as well
as a photographic one.

I didn't know that. Fascinating.

NOT TRUE.

2 standard colour 35mm exposures using flash illumination. Nothing infrared
involved with Gatsos.

Other systems using Automatic Number Plate Reading Video cameras (such as
SPECS average speed enforcement system) use infrared illumination. Gatso
doesn't.

Old February 19th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Cummins ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Perfectly legal to have a number plate that can't be read by a gatso as
long as it can be seen from directly behind the vehicle at the same
height.

You sure about that?

I'm sure that C&U says something about the permissable minimum angles of
view of plates.
Old February 19th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Paul Scott wrote:

How about hanging some luggage over the rear number plate, and not having
one at the front? Of course you would need to buy a motobike first...
Paul

I suppose one radical solution would be to obey the road traffic laws.

--
Cliff Laine, The Old Lard Factory, Lancaster http://www.loobynet.com
* remove any trace of rudeness before you reply *

Jesus says - whoever comes to me
Will never be thirsty

Poster outside Fishergate Baptist Church, Preston
Old February 19th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"loobyloo" wrote in message
I suppose one radical solution would be to obey the road traffic laws.

Indeed. I find it amazing how much time people will devote to avoiding being
caught by speed cameras, surely outweighing any time saved by being able to
drive faster.

It's not hard to avoid being caught by a GATSO or other type of camera, even
if you routinely disregard speed limits.

Old February 19th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Graeme
writes

NOT TRUE.

2 standard colour 35mm exposures using flash illumination. Nothing infrared
involved with Gatsos.

So are websites such as http://www.termsys.demon.co.uk/gatso.htm wrong
when they claim ...

The photographs taken will be both normal and infra-red. (The
infra-red will 'see' your registration mark when the vehicle is
caked in dirt.) Also, to collect the proof, two photographs are
taken in quick succession, so that the distance travelled can be
seen.

And http://www.benlovejoy.com/speedtrapdetectors.html ... with its
picture of "A forward-facing infra-red Gatso hidden behind a sign"

Gatsometer's own site claims that they make GATSOs "with optional
infra-red flash", but I have no idea if these are used in the UK.

Other systems using Automatic Number Plate Reading Video cameras (such as
SPECS average speed enforcement system) use infrared illumination. Gatso
doesn't.

I believe the Truvelo system also uses I-R.

Basically, if I-R is being used at all, and it certainly appears to be,
then I cannot see how a reflective spray varnish will help to avoid it.

--
Paul Terry